Updated and Shrunk List

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go?

Notre Dame
32%
Fordham
10%
Washington and Lee
6%
Illinois
11%
Cornell (if accepted)
30%
WUSTL (with similar money to ND..)
10%
IU-B (if full ride)
1%

Total votes: 71

ndirish2010

Updated and Shrunk List

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Ok, I had a thread two weeks ago and since then a few things have happened so I am now down to four schools that I have been accepted to, while still waiting for WUSTL, IU-B, and Cornell (assuming rejections from Duke and Chicago).

Here's the situation:
I'm a current undergrad at Notre Dame, I love it, and I have a girlfriend here that is going to be here for a while probably (a junior, but she lives in South Bend). I would like biglaw in either NYC, DC, or Chicago (no preferences really between the three), but also would like to attempt to minimize cost (considering in this economy the chances for biglaw at non T14s are not really that great, so a backup plan is pretty necessary). The schools I am considering are

Notre Dame (18K/yr scholarship)
Illinois (30K/yr scholarship)
Washington and Lee (34K/yr scholarship)
Fordham (15K/yr scholarship)
Regular WL at Georgetown

Numbers are 3.66/168 (LSP gives me 63% chance at Cornell)

Out of these choices, and considering my situation, where would you choose and why?

lawhawk

Re: Updated and Shrunk List

Postby lawhawk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:47 pm

Too many ifs and too many choices. Come back when you've got something more concrete.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:50 pm

lawhawk wrote:Too many ifs and too many choices. Come back when you've got something more concrete.

Well I would, except theres a very real possibility I won't find out about Cornell until after April 1, leaving me about a week to decide where I'm going...so just trying to get a head start.

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:54 pm

illinois is close enough to where your gf is but a new city, and good for chicago obv...and mad cheap.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Personal considerations carry their own weight, so no one can answer that for you (this even includes debt).

I, for example, am likely not able to tell you how important it is to stay near, or somewhat close, to your girlfriend (without extensive pictures).

In all seriousness, if you want an objective answer, since you have no real preference for the markets, look at big law placement at each school and go to the school that has the highest percentage of the class going into big law.

And there is your answer.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 pm

I would start by narrowing down the list. Since you have no preference between NYC, DC, and Chicago, you can cut W&L first (Illinois is stronger for Chicago, with similar money). Then I would cut Fordham (similar placement in NYC as Illinois/ND for Chicago, but with less money). GULC is a WL so that's not an option at this point. So you're down to ND with 18k/yr or Illinois with 30k/yr. They're peer schools for the Chicago market, so this decision boils down to location (how important is being near the SO vs scholarship money?).

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:30 pm

im_blue wrote:I would start by narrowing down the list. Since you have no preference between NYC, DC, and Chicago, you can cut W&L first (Illinois is stronger for Chicago, with similar money). Then I would cut Fordham (similar placement in NYC as Illinois/ND for Chicago, but with less money). GULC is a WL so that's not an option at this point. So you're down to ND with 18k/yr or Illinois with 30k/yr. They're peer schools for the Chicago market, so this decision boils down to location (how important is being near the SO vs scholarship money?).

[strike]Is the bolded true? I thought they were peer schools, but each within their own market, and NYC is Fordham's. Are ND and Illinois really as good for NYC placement as Fordham? Or are you saying that ND and Illinois are as good in Chicago as Fordham is in NYC?[/strike]

Also, if OP may want DC, isn't that one place where W&L mainly places?

Just curious on those two points, I could be misinformed myself on these matters.

Edit: RC fail, my bad.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Visit Fordham and Illinois if possible.

Time to decide how serious the relationship is and your preference for one area over another is after graduation.

If relationship not as serious (or neither of you would mind long-distance), you decide you want NYC, and you don't mind the extra COL, then go Fordham.

I would think it would come down to Illinois and Notre Dame for me, based on what you told us. I would be tempted to stay at ND in that scenario.

Have you asked ND if they would consider matching some of the other scholarships? They might not care as much about the W&L offer, but I would think they might care about the Illinois one.

I would actually prefer your options right now as long as you're happy with Chicago rather then pay sticker at GULC. Cornell might change things up a little, but if you want to limit debt you already have your best options to choose from (unless you can get more money from negotiating).

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:03 pm

I would go Illinois with that money they gave you..unless you get into Cornell..then things may change a bit. But i feel that Illinois and ND place similarly in the Chicago market. ND is better nationally. But with that scholly and the low cost of living, I would pick the Illini.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:04 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Visit Fordham and Illinois if possible.

Time to decide how serious the relationship is and your preference for one area over another is after graduation.

If relationship not as serious (or neither of you would mind long-distance), you decide you want NYC, and you don't mind the extra COL, then go Fordham.

I would think it would come down to Illinois and Notre Dame for me, based on what you told us. I would be tempted to stay at ND in that scenario.

Have you asked ND if they would consider matching some of the other scholarships? They might not care as much about the W&L offer, but I would think they might care about the Illinois one.

I would actually prefer your options right now as long as you're happy with Chicago rather then pay sticker at GULC. Cornell might change things up a little, but if you want to limit debt you already have your best options to choose from (unless you can get more money from negotiating).

I did ask ND if they could increase my offer, and they told me they could not negotiate but they might have more money to distribute later... I think that subconsciously I'm sort of leaning towards that decision as well, but being from Long Island, Fordham holds a certain regard in my mind and it will be hard to turn down. You really think that ND/Illinois for Chicago (with the money) is better than GULC at sticker for DC? This forum is so T14 centric that it is hard to believe someone actually thinks that haha (not that I have any chance to get in off the regular WL)

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 pm

So I received an e-mail from Notre Dame today granting me another $2000/yr scholarship, bringing my total scholarship up to $20K/yr. It's not much, but it definitely makes them look better to me (plus I'm also glad to know that sometimes negotiation does work a little bit.)

Still haven't heard from Cornell or WashU...good chance Cornell won't be until after the deposit deadlines.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:52 am

Well I figured I'd update this to say that I'm most likely going to accept my Notre Dame offer within the next few days. I got 'held' at WUSTL and withdrew,a nd I am DR at Cornell on 4/6 with no email (thinking I'll be on reserve there as well), so this makes my decision a bit easier. Thanks, everyone

Return to “Choosing a Law School”