What would you do???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do?

UCI $20,000/yr
64%
WUSTL $10,000/yr
36%

Total votes: 53

ENGINEERD

What would you do???

Postby ENGINEERD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:28 pm

As of right now I am faced with this decision... WUSTL $10,000/yr vs UCI $20,000/yr. Both schools look awesome and I feel lucky to have even been accepted. I want to eventually work in Los Angeles or Orange County. Which one would you choose?

jks289

Re: What would you do???

Postby jks289 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:32 pm

For CA, UCI no question at all.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:40 pm

jks289 wrote:For CA, UCI no question at all.

I am very tempted to seriously consider WUSTL. I hate to be a ranking snob but 19 does look a lot better than the estimated 30 of UCI. Am I crazy to think it might be worth it to pay the extra 10k/yr for bump of 10 ranking spots???

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:43 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:

I am very tempted to seriously consider WUSTL. I hate to be a ranking snob but 19 does look a lot better than the estimated 30 of UCI. Am I crazy to think it might be worth it to pay the extra 10k/yr for bump of 10 ranking spots???

Yes. UCI is the CR if you want to work in cali. If you are indifferent to working location then it changes things.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:45 pm

ogman05 wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:

Yes. UCI is the CR if you want to work in cali. If you are indifferent to working location then it changes things.

CR?

bees

Postby bees » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:46 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:

Nothing outside of the T14 (maybe T10) is going to give you an advantage in CA because of its ranking.

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:47 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:
ogman05 wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:

CR?

Correct/Credited Response

romanholiday

Postby romanholiday » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:50 pm

CR=Credited Response

UCI's campus is beautiful from what I've heard.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:55 pm

romanholiday wrote:CR=Credited Response

Gotcha, UCI is really beautiful I took a few classes there for UG. I have been in SoCal all my life and Im thinking I want to experience something new.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:08 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:

Gotcha, UCI is really beautiful I took a few classes there for UG. I have been in SoCal all my life and Im thinking I want to experience something new.

I guarantee you, that "new" thing you want to experience is NOT St. Louis.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:13 pm

ughOSU wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:

Haha I see, thanks for the heads up.

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:58 am

bees wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:

Nothing outside of the T14 (maybe T10) is going to give you an advantage in CA because of its ranking.

+1

I seriously doubt there will be a lot of CA firms doing OCI at WUSTL, not to mention doing any CA summer stuff would be logistically difficult (and if you were interested in public sector it wouldn't happen). Then again, who the fuck knows what is gonna happen with UCI?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:01 am

If you had to pick one of these, I'd go with UCI. IMHO, UCLA or USC would be better options if you got into those.

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:41 pm

Yep, 20k a year (over 100k total attendance) for a unaccredited school with no record in the most saturated market in America sounds really wise.

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:38 pm

ughOSU wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:

Really? Don't most people say St. Louis is an awesome town? (obviously not east st. louis)

redginseng

Postby redginseng » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:

I bet UCI's first ranking wouldn't even come close to 30. I don't know who 'estimated' that UCI will rank around 30, but I'm sorry but that person is pretty stupid. The biggest portion of US News rank comes from reputation survey. Without a single graduate working, how will judges and lawyers compare UCI to other law schools.

To be ranked 30, UCI will need to outrank some great schools with long history in the 30-50 range. I don't see that happening.

Although I do hear about some hype about UCI, remember that its numerical advantage, that it's extremely small school, and money will not last long to keep up with current median. People expect lower medians for this year than last year already.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:07 pm

UCI for sure.

The rankings aren't far enough apart to come anywhere NEAR making up for the geographical difference.

muffinberry

Postby muffinberry » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:16 pm

UCI is not a beautiful campus, at least not like UCLA, Boalt, Harvard, etc. are. The entire campus (including UG, b-school, other grad school buildings...) lacks the pretty and old patina of other schools, and the law school is definitely NOT beautiful. I've driven by it multiple times, it's a cluster of buildings in what used to be a parking lot or something at UCI. It was my UG school so I saw the law school being talked about, decided upon, and then built while I was there. Irvine the city however is nice, clean, and new-looking (it's not a myth that the police will actually pick up homeless people who may wander here and drop them off in Santa Ana).

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:56 am

RayFinkle wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:

Really? Don't most people say St. Louis is an awesome town? (obviously not east st. louis)

That may be. I went there once and absolutely despised everything about it, and I'm from the miserable weather part of the country. I don't think someone from SoCal would be happy there, but I guess maybe some people would...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”