Southwestern no $ vs Whittier $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bigmnstyle

Southwestern no $ vs Whittier $

Postby bigmnstyle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Been accepted to Whittier with 17k a year and Southwestern with no money. I am not that worried about debt, Some of it is being paid by my parents... so my question is which would you choose for A) International law and B) law in general? Please don't respond neither... doesn't help.

Also does anybody know if Southwestern offers yearly scholarships with programs that you can get into? I know if you join like a children's right club and take the required classes you get 4000 a year. Does Southwestern have anything like this? Do they have good externships out of the country you can do for international law as well? Thanks guys.

roadkilllaw

Re: Southwestern no $ vs Whittier $

Postby roadkilllaw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:06 pm

SOUTHWESTERN!

thewolfandpeter

Postby thewolfandpeter » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:06 pm

neither man.

Loyola is lightyears ahead of whittier and much much much better than southwestern. Study hard for the lsat (twice as hard as whatever you did before), improve your score by at least 5 points, and you are looking at $$$ from loyola.

Don't be ignorant and waste your parents money on either of these schools...you will be unemployed at graduation or working for peanuts, and will be forced to start your own solo practice which is extremely unwise with no prior experience.

Suck it up.

ViP

Postby ViP » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 pm

Go to Southwestern. Don't look back. Not even close.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote:neither man.

Loyola is lightyears ahead of whittier and much much much better than southwestern. Study hard for the lsat (twice as hard as whatever you did before), improve your score by at least 5 points, and you are looking at $$$ from loyola.

Don't be ignorant and waste your parents money on either of these schools...you will be unemployed at graduation or working for peanuts, and will be forced to start your own solo practice which is extremely unwise with no prior experience.

Suck it up.

+1

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:53 am

I visited both law schools today... Loyola's was awful--southwestern's was great. I am interested in international law and maybe even entertainment law. Southwestern is right there with Loyola in both. I am pretty sure Loyola is better in litigation and a couple other areas but overall I really don't think it is that much better in terms of getting you jobs when you get out. Anyway thanks for the advice- I am convinced I could do better on the lsat even if I took it right now but don't really feel like sitting out a year just to get into Loyola over Southwestern. And I am definitely set on LA, not going to go to Whittier.

chango

Postby chango » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:59 am

bigmnstyle wrote:I visited both law schools today... Loyola's was awful--southwestern's was great. I am interested in international law and maybe even entertainment law. Southwestern is right there with Loyola in both. I am pretty sure Loyola is better in litigation and a couple other areas but overall I really don't think it is that much better in terms of getting you jobs when you get out. Anyway thanks for the advice- I am convinced I could do better on the lsat even if I took it right now but don't really feel like sitting out a year just to get into Loyola over Southwestern. And I am definitely set on LA, not going to go to Whittier.

Given the economy, all bets are off about "jobs when you get out."

Loyola and Southwestern are both good (regional) schools. If you're committed to Entertainment Law, I think Southwestern has the edge.

But yeah, retake, because even with a 155+ and a decent GPA Southwestern should be giving you money.

Don't even think about Whittier.

chango

Postby chango » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:59 am

oh wait, one more thing: you thought Loyola was "awful?" Really? That shocks me a bit. Why?

twert

Postby twert » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:02 am

chango wrote:oh wait, one more thing: you thought Loyola was "awful?" Really? That shocks me a bit. Why?

i would also like to know what you didn't like about loyola.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:05 am

The library is very old... reminds me of my middle school library. Just a small and ugly school. I know they have a great program and are respected. I am just talking about what I saw from the tour. Anyway, I did get above a 155, I have a 156 and 3.38 gpa and no scholarship money to Southwestern. I heard they give out scholarship based on first year performance though. Am I right there?

chango

Postby chango » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:09 am

I believe that Southwestern pays for the the next two years if you finish top 10% in the first year, but I'm not positive.

And you thought Loyola was ugly? Frank Gehry frowns in your general direction.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:09 am

Is anyone at Southwestern right now and focusing on international law. I have already seen how much support they have put up for the entertainment law program. A whole section of the school devoted to it and some of the best professors in the country. I am also interested in the study abroad program in London for entertainment if anyone has done that I would love to hear about it.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:10 am

Ahahah Frank Gehry is old and you can tell he built it when he was younger :)

chango

Postby chango » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:15 am

bigmnstyle wrote:Ahahah Frank Gehry is old and you can tell he built it when he was younger :)

Took him 10 fricken years. '81-91. But, true, Southwestern is absolutely gorgeous. If we're talking design, Southwestern is Tier 1.

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:26 pm

International law as a readily employable field doesn't exist, OP. Those that are practicing legitimate "international law" are top students at HYS with a bilingual background.

I would recommend you don't tell people (especially attorneys) you come into contact with that you want to practice "international law". It's a running joke.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:32 pm

What if I was fluent in Spanish?

twert

Postby twert » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:36 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:What if I was fluent in Spanish?

i don't know but i would guess that if you studied international law at southwestern and are fluent in spanish, there is probably some sort of small time transaction law you can practice with people who do business over the boarder. any large corporations will not be using southwestern grads.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:36 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Been accepted to Whittier with 17k a year and Southwestern with no money. I am not that worried about debt, Some of it is being paid by my parents... so my question is which would you choose for A) International law and B) law in general? Please don't respond neither... doesn't help.

Also does anybody know if Southwestern offers yearly scholarships with programs that you can get into? I know if you join like a children's right club and take the required classes you get 4000 a year. Does Southwestern have anything like this? Do they have good externships out of the country you can do for international law as well? Thanks guys.

LOLOLOL

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 am

Any other suggestions? I am 22 entering law school at age of 23 so I got a lot of years ahead of me to pay of debt assuming I don't get in the top 10 percent of Southwestern. The economy will pull itself together just like it always does. 4 years from now I feel getting a job as an attorney will be more so like it was a couple years ago rather than it is now.

Looking for suggestions on whether you would take the 17 k from Whittier or pay the sticker on SW with the hopes of getting in the top 10 percent. I am interested in Entertainment law but have by no means made up my mind on what I would like to do. I just love the law and the law classes I have taken so far in undergrad and look to law school as a challenge and sharpening of brain power.

chango

Postby chango » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:18 am

bigmnstyle wrote:Any other suggestions? I am 22 entering law school at age of 23 so I got a lot of years ahead of me to pay of debt assuming I don't get in the top 10 percent of Southwestern. The economy will pull itself together just like it always does. 4 years from now I feel getting a job as an attorney will be more so like it was a couple years ago rather than it is now.

Looking for suggestions on whether you would take the 17 k from Whittier or pay the sticker on SW with the hopes of getting in the top 10 percent. I am interested in Entertainment law but have by no means made up my mind on what I would like to do. I just love the law and the law classes I have taken so far in undergrad and look to law school as a challenge and sharpening of brain power.

What percentage of students think they'll be in the top 10 percent? If your estimate is more than 10% (hint, it's probably close to 80%), then you will see why it's ridiculous to make a decision based on "the hopes of getting in the top 10 percent."

And even if the economy improves, you'll still have a significant number of people from the classes ahead of you looking for jobs, PLUS a significant number of lawyers who have been laid off.... Add to that the fact that many firms have downsized, and therefore shifting the supply and demand curve further against you....

In other words:

--ImageRemoved--

So once again, and this time with a bit more gusto: retake the LSAT so you can have better options next cycle.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”