GULC no scholarship vs. WUSTL 108K (about 83% covered)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
novalady

GULC no scholarship vs. WUSTL 108K (about 83% covered)

Postby novalady » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:15 pm

What do you guys think? Not too sure I want to work in biglaw, though I'm from the DC area and will probably come back here to work..

jks289

Re: GULC no scholarship vs. WUSTL 108K (about 83% covered)

Postby jks289 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:17 pm

novalady wrote:What do you guys think? Not too sure I want to work in biglaw, though I'm from the DC area and will probably come back here to work..

Depends. How debt-averse are you? Would you have COL in DC taken care of? What do you want to do instead of BigLaw?

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:26 pm

COL= cost of living. Would you be living at home in DC, or do you need to factor in the difference? WIth a specific niche market goal, I would say WUSTL with all that money. Graduating without debt leaves you really flexible, and I think it is near impossible to understand the emotional costs of 150K in debt hanging over you. You would need to pursue DC work for your summers, and find a way to network in the region. If you feel you must work in DC long term, and no where else, maybe it is a harder choice.

The standard answer on these boards is going to be GUCL. But if you already know you don't want to sign up for a BigLaw Lifestyle I think it is smart to take such a generous offer, from a really excellent school. Good luck!

novalady

Postby novalady » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Ok so COL in DC is not taken care of, fam lives too far away to make that a feasible commute

No debt from undergrad, so I'm okay shape there, but the idea of $150K debt sucks regardless.

Want to do real estate law, which in the DC area is still fairly strong. I know biglaw firms have real estate divisions, but have been told by mentors and such that biglaw isn't necessarily the place if you want to do real estate..am I wrong?

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:28 pm

I would vote for WUSTL. The difference between these two schools is not worth $125,000 or so in extra debt (including COL differences).

novalady

Postby novalady » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:29 pm

jks289 wrote:COL= cost of living. Would you be living at home in DC, or do you need to factor in the difference? WIth a specific niche market goal, I would say WUSTL with all that money. Graduating without debt leaves you really flexible, and I think it is near impossible to understand the emotional costs of 150K in debt hanging over you. You would need to pursue DC work for your summers, and find a way to network in the region. If you feel you must work in DC long term, and no where else, maybe it is a harder choice.

The standard answer on these boards is going to be GUCL. But if you already know you don't want to sign up for a BigLaw Lifestyle I think it is smart to take such a generous offer, from a really excellent school. Good luck!

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:37 pm

GeorgeTTTown vs. WUSTTTL

I'd take WUSTL with the money, especially if there are no GPA strings attached. If you're not sold on BigLaw and such, I think networking back home would be a safe bet. I don't know if this is an option for you, but if you really want DC and haven't applied, GW might throw some cash your way.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:41 pm

beesknees wrote:It could be hard to land your first job in DC coming from WUSTL. I know they're a regional school, so it might require more leg work from you to get a job in DC. But, I agree with scribe. Georgetown grads don't seem to be weathering the current economic storm so well, so it would seem like that level of debt might not pay off for the extra ranking/prestige/job prospects. Especially if you're not gunning for biglaw. My vote goes with WUSTL.

Well, the OP has strong ties to the DC area and that gives him a little additional strength in that region no matter which law school he/she attends.

I say WUSTL.

At any corresponding rank, you would likely be in the same spot (for DC, after factoring in your ties).

If you end up bottom 25%, you are out at either.

If you end up top 25%, you will be in from both.

The debt isn't worth it for what would, at most, be an added 10% chance (that would likely be negligible with your ties to the area).

dbt

Postby dbt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:55 pm

WashU, for a couple of reasons.

(1) you got into both WashU and GULC. GULC is full of smarter students than WashU in general. While you can't guarantee your grade range based on LSAT/GPA, if you're getting such a large scholarship at WashU and are in at GULC, I'm guessing you'll be the big fish at WashU, whereas who knows at GULC.

(2) GULC has been hit hard. I know here at NYU you need to be above median (and probably then some) to feel pretty confident about getting a biglaw job, so I'm guessing GULC is top 1/3 or maybe even less. WashU will of course be less than GULC (top 1/5?) but your chances of being in that group are decent (arguably better than they are at GULC), and you'll have far less debt.

(3) WashU will keep your options open in Chicago (if you perform at or near the top of the class) and you already have connections to GULC. GULC's strongest tie is obviously to DC, but you've already got that. In this economy, it's nice to have connections to as many markets as possible.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:06 pm

novalady wrote:...but the idea of $150K debt sucks regardless.

jks289 wrote:...it is near impossible to understand the emotional costs of 150K in debt hanging over you.

Not to be a party pooper, but it's going to be way more than $150k. With Washington D.C. cost of living -- not to mention the fact that tuition will probably go up a little bit each year -- we're looking at at least $180k, probably more. Before interest.

Just wanted to point this out -- a lot of people seem to "round down" when discussing school debt.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
novalady wrote:...but the idea of $150K debt sucks regardless.

jks289 wrote:...it is near impossible to understand the emotional costs of 150K in debt hanging over you.

Not to be a party pooper, but it's going to be way more than $150k. With Washington D.C. cost of living -- not to mention the fact that tuition will probably go up a little bit each year -- we're looking at at least $180k, probably more. Before interest.

Just wanted to point this out -- a lot of people seem to "round down" when discussing school debt.

I meant 150K as in the total debt difference between WUSTL with $$ and GULC, including the COL savings. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Yes G-town is going to run you nearly 200K in debt depending on your lifestyle.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:38 pm

novalady wrote:Ok so COL in DC is not taken care of, fam lives too far away to make that a feasible commute

No debt from undergrad, so I'm okay shape there, but the idea of $150K debt sucks regardless.

Want to do real estate law, which in the DC area is still fairly strong. I know biglaw firms have real estate divisions, but have been told by mentors and such that biglaw isn't necessarily the place if you want to do real estate..am I wrong?

Much of residential real estate is of the "hang a shingle" variety (aka having your own firm). If this is the route you want to go (in which case you'll need the $ to set up your own shop or work at a small firm at a small salary), save the $, go to WUSTL. If you want commercial real estate, that's more BigLaw territory.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:40 pm

Do the WUSTL!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”