COL in St. Louis

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Xiaolong

COL in St. Louis

Postby Xiaolong » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 am

How much would you budget for food and housing per month if you wanted to live in a decent apartment (shared) in a safe and convenient (for WUSTL) part of town?

I used this little tool here (http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Cost ... ulator.asp) but I don't know how realistic it is. For reference, I lived in Boston on 1700$ (including food, housing, cable, heat etc...) a month and in order to maintain the same lifestyle I would need around 1300$ in St Louis.

Xiaolong

Re: COL in St. Louis

Postby Xiaolong » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:58 am

Anyone?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Xiaolong wrote:How much would you budget for food and housing per month if you wanted to live in a decent apartment (shared) in a safe and convenient (for WUSTL) part of town?

I used this little tool here (http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Cost ... ulator.asp) but I don't know how realistic it is. For reference, I lived in Boston on 1700$ (including food, housing, cable, heat etc...) a month and in order to maintain the same lifestyle I would need around 1300$ in St Louis.
Xiaolong wrote:How much would you budget for food and housing per month if you wanted to live in a decent apartment (shared) in a safe and convenient (for WUSTL) part of town?

Not sure about the WUSTL area specifically, but considering you can easily get a nice 2 br apartment in St. louis for about 800 a month(400 each with roommate) I think about $1000-1200/month should easily be doable.

pleasepickme

Postby pleasepickme » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm

I've spent time in STL, and you can find a nice, safe apartment walkable distance to WashU with roommates for ~$400/person/month. Utilities will run you another ~$100 in the winter, and you can get by on ~$300/month for food. Overall, If you have $1000/month, you are in really good condition, if you have $800/month, you can survive.

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:06 pm

I live in St. Louis and I'll second what's been said. A lot of WUSTL students live in the Central West End which can be more expensive than other areas, but you'll still be doing fine if you get a roommate. The COL in St. Louis is definitely less that of many other major cities.

Xiaolong

Postby Xiaolong » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:58 am

Thanks for all the info. Makes WUSTL even more attractive since COL seems to be only half what you would pay in Boston.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”