having friends in the city w/ your ls vs knowing nobody

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
imisscollege

having friends in the city w/ your ls vs knowing nobody

Postby imisscollege » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 pm

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on how valuable knowing a bunch of people in the ls city before you go to LS is. Is this a helpful, social outlet? Or is it a distraction that one is better without?

quetzalcoatl

Re: having friends in the city w/ your ls vs knowing nobody

Postby quetzalcoatl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 pm

Im just guessing, but you miss your old college buddies.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:29 pm

haha good one. i haven't started ls yet but I have gotten into a bunch of t30's/t20's, a couple of which are in the same city as my high school friends, the same city in which i grew up. debating whether to stay or go

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:32 pm

Personally, I think there is much to be said for moving out there on your own and getting it done. But if you aren't into that sort of thing, maybe best to have some friends around. Think of how many girls you'll be able to nail (if that applies to you :)) when you're out of your comfort zone, meeting new people all the time. For me, I feel like it would force me to grow and expand your network of friends all throughout the country!

roxj

Postby roxj » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:02 am

I know where you're coming from. All of my close friends have somehow ended up in DC (we are all from Seattle), and that fact alone makes me want to go to Georgetown over schools that better fit me. Keep reminding yourself that you won't have time to hang out anyways, since you'll be in law school and they will have their own busy schedules too.

Your ls classmates will become your friends, just like in college.

akili

Postby akili » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:07 am

Do you think it's worthwhile to go somewhere new and form new patterns of friendship/social life (i.e. around your law school craziness) or stay in the comfortable?

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:09 am

I really think that it all depends on the type of person you are. I can really see myself going to a place where I don't know anyone, since I'm generally a loner anyway. I do have friends, and a fiance, but I generally don't care to hang out with people much (I had a full-time job throughout undergrad, so my life consisted of getting things done, and just learning to enjoy the process).

But if you truly value having an established social network readily available to you, I'd say it wouldn't hurt for you to go to a school that would help you achieve that. You just need to make sure that you study hard in ls.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:12 am

While I'm a bit of a loner, too (which actually makes me like the idea of having friends in town already because it's less effort) for me it's not really about comfort zone... I'm sure I (and most people) will make new LS friends just fine. It's mostly just that I really LIKE my college buddies, most of whom ended up in/around nyc, and would love to keep in touch with them. Also, it'd be nice to get a break from LS people once in a while.

So I'm not putting "being near my friends" at the top of my choosing-schools pro/con list, but it's on there somewhere.

millieb

Postby millieb » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:24 am

I'm a little scared about going somewhere where I already have too many friends because of all of the distractions and fun things to do and ways to spend money that I wont have!

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:28 am

Personally, I like the idea of leaving my comfort zone. I don't know anyone in the towns where I'm likely to end up, and I'm looking forward to it.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:37 am

man, i definitely want to keep in touch w/ my close friends -- we have a brain trust going on and im sure they'll come in hand 20 yrs down the road :P

but it is a safety net; personally, im going out of state for a few yrs to expand my horizons, but taking my SO along so i wont be lonely on the trip (not saying i wont make new friends, just would like her along for the journey as well :))

and then i plan on moving back home haha

Return to “Choosing a Law School”