Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Arizona $, Arizona State$, Tulane $$

Arizona
17
52%
Arizona St.
4
12%
Tulane
12
36%
 
Total votes: 33

Yellowcard
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby Yellowcard » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 pm

I am totally unsure how to make a decision of this magnitude. I do not know what I should consider about these schools when making this decision. Is there an obvious choice between these schools? Is one of them likely to move up or down in the rankings over the next few years? I would appreciate any and all advice.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:50 pm

I would say there is a 70% chance this thread winds up with some pictures of hot girls from ASU.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:54 pm

An important consideration would be where you want to work.

User avatar
Charles Barkley
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I would say there is a 70% chance this thread winds up with some pictures of hot girls from ASU.

I would put this percentage closer to 90%. Where do you want to work, OP?

Yellowcard
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby Yellowcard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:24 am

I could see myself in the SouthWest, California, the MidWest, or maybe even Florida. I mean that's part of the problem. I don't know really where I want to be. For the sake of this post though, I'll rank where I would like to end up.

1. California/Arizona
2. Florida
3. MidWest

User avatar
reebtoor
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby reebtoor » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:28 am

ASU

1. The state of Arizona is at the top of your list.
2. Phoenix is way better than Tuscon.
3. Outside of Arizona, UA=ASU.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby im_blue » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:32 am

reebtoor wrote:ASU

1. The state of Arizona is at the top of your list.
2. Phoenix is way better than Tuscon.
3. Outside of Arizona, UA=ASU.


I'll go with this.

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby scionb4 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:34 am

Stringer Bell wrote:I would say there is a 70% chance this thread winds up with some pictures of hot girls from ASU.


Nope, I've got a different idea:

DELETED

She and her friends are only an hour and a half away from Tulane.

User avatar
Charles Barkley
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby Charles Barkley » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:35 am

scionb4 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:I would say there is a 70% chance this thread winds up with some pictures of hot girls from ASU.


Nope, I've got a different idea:

DELETED

She and her friends are only an hour and a half away from Tulane.

I went to LSU undergrad and I can vouch for the hotness of girls there. :lol:

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:36 am

Yellowcard wrote:I am totally unsure how to make a decision of this magnitude. I do not know what I should consider about these schools when making this decision. Is there an obvious choice between these schools? Is one of them likely to move up or down in the rankings over the next few years? I would appreciate any and all advice.
Stringer Bell wrote:I would say there is a 70% chance this thread winds up with some pictures of hot girls from ASU.


Stringer Bell wrote:I would say there is a 70% chance this thread winds up with some pictures of hot girls from ASU.


Whoa whoa Tulane undergrad girls are gorgeous, trust me.

I need to know other things you are taking into account when choosing schools. As another poster stated, you have Arizona tied with California at the top of your list. However I will say that outside of Arizona, Tulane would probably be the better choice (but this depends on scholarship offers and whatnot).

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:59 am

Charles Barkley wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:I would say there is a 70% chance this thread winds up with some pictures of hot girls from ASU.


Nope, I've got a different idea:

DELETED

She and her friends are only an hour and a half away from Tulane.

I went to LSU undergrad and I can vouch for the hotness of girls there. :lol:


I am visiting LSU in April and sweet christ...

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:00 am

Of the choices I take ASU. Tulane sticker is through the roof! Also I've heard you have to choose between studying civil law and common law at that school. If you study Civil you will be stuck in Louisiana. If you want the west go with ASU.

nianlong
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:16 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby nianlong » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:57 am

I've heard you have to choose between studying civil law and common law at that school


Not really. Before 2nd semester of 1L, you note your intention for practicing in Civil or Common Law jurisdictions to Academic Services. This will determine which Property and Contracts II class you are registered for in Spring of 1L. After that, you can take whatever you want. Mix it up Civil/ Common. Plenty of students choose to knock out the Common Law courses first year and if they decide to stay in New Orleans take a few upper level Civil Law courses during 3L to prepare for the bar. Some people just take common law courses and then study "cold" for the Louisiana bar.

So it's not like you have to choose a "track" that you're stuck with. Those 2 1L classes are the only ones that are pre-selected for you when you sign up for Common/ Civil one way or the other.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. Still the price at sticker is insane.

msbeautifulbasham
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 pm

I'd stick to the AZ schools. It seems like many people (myself included) are wrestling over ASU vs. Arizona, and there seems to be no objectively "better" decision. I think it comes down to whichever school feels more comfortable to you, since at the end of the day neither school is leagues better than the other.

Yellowcard
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby Yellowcard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:31 pm

I feel like Arizona is ranked 15 spots higher than ASU for a reason. How can they be a toss up, if their is such a large difference between the two. Furthermore, I don't think Phoenix is dominated by ASU. I've read from plenty of ASU v UA threads that UA places just as well, if not better, in the Phoenix area.

User avatar
reebtoor
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby reebtoor » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:11 am

Yellowcard wrote:I feel like Arizona is ranked 15 spots higher than ASU for a reason. How can they be a toss up, if their is such a large difference between the two. Furthermore, I don't think Phoenix is dominated by ASU. I've read from plenty of ASU v UA threads that UA places just as well, if not better, in the Phoenix area.


ASU definitely has the edge in Phoenix. I'm not sure what your definition of "just as well, if not better" is, But here http://www.swlaw.com/attorneys/List.aspx?LastName=B&sort=Name is a sampling of the attorneys at the top-ranked firm in Phoenix. Note that they have other offices, but the attorneys that work in Phoenix come from all over...except UA. The greatest number come from ASU. There are some attorneys at this and other firms in Phoenix who went to UA, but they are definitely the minority. I tend to think people like us care a lot more about rankings than those who are hiring people.

AsexualChocolate
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 am

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby AsexualChocolate » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:34 am

scionb4 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:I would say there is a 70% chance this thread winds up with some pictures of hot girls from ASU.


Nope, I've got a different idea:

DELETED

She and her friends are only an hour and a half away from Tulane.



I've heard that if you want to practice in Louisiana, go to school in Louisiana; and if you don't, stay the hell out of Louisiana. Apparently they have some French Code (?) that is quite different than the rest of the U.S. I'm sure an intelligent LS grad would have no problem transitioning out or in, but it seems said individual would be at a disadvantage due to the slightly foreign system... Will someone get this girl off me???

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby darknightbegins » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:29 pm

The French code is Civil Law, or a version of it. Its what most of the non English speaking world uses as its legal system. If you want to practice in LA then it is highly advisable you choose a school in LA to go too. However, most LA schools will teach Civil Law and Common Law so you aren't really put at a disadvantage except for having to take more classes.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:41 pm

reebtoor wrote:
Yellowcard wrote:I feel like Arizona is ranked 15 spots higher than ASU for a reason. How can they be a toss up, if their is such a large difference between the two. Furthermore, I don't think Phoenix is dominated by ASU. I've read from plenty of ASU v UA threads that UA places just as well, if not better, in the Phoenix area.


ASU definitely has the edge in Phoenix. I'm not sure what your definition of "just as well, if not better" is, But here http://www.swlaw.com/attorneys/List.aspx?LastName=B&sort=Name is a sampling of the attorneys at the top-ranked firm in Phoenix. Note that they have other offices, but the attorneys that work in Phoenix come from all over...except UA. The greatest number come from ASU. There are some attorneys at this and other firms in Phoenix who went to UA, but they are definitely the minority. I tend to think people like us care a lot more about rankings than those who are hiring people.




.... I lived in Northern AZ and worked with attorneys (2 hours north of Phoenix, about 4 hours north of Tucson). I definitely got the impression that U of A has stronger placement and reputation in AZ than ASU, though there may be some individual firms where that is not the case. Of course ASU is still a decent school, but neither its' reputation nor placement is on par with U of A from what I understand.

User avatar
reebtoor
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby reebtoor » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:44 pm

...something about citing one firm not necessarily representing the market...

Neither does working with some people in northern Arizona.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby PDaddy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:57 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Of the choices I take ASU. Tulane sticker is through the roof! Also I've heard you have to choose between studying civil law and common law at that school. If you study Civil you will be stuck in Louisiana. If you want the west go with ASU.


Wrong. You do not have to "choose between common and civil law". All students can take some civil law courses, but Tulane primarily teaches common law. And, contrary to what many people think, Louisiana is steeped in common law tradition like other states. I love Arizona but it is a regional school. If money is offered at AZ and not Tulane, go to AZ.

AZ St. Can only trump the other two by offering more money.
Last edited by PDaddy on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gords329
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby gords329 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:58 pm

You can check out some more in-depth stats about the schools here- http://www.schoolaah.com/Arizona.htm. Looks like AZ's career prospects are same or better than ASU's in almost every category (salaries, bar pass rates, % employed at graduation, % in judicial clerkships, etc.) I have never personally vetted the info on this site, but the stuff that can be checked against TLS info (75th-25th LSAT/GPA, etc.) seem to be on point.

User avatar
reebtoor
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby reebtoor » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:38 am

So, in my experience, when someone starts a thread like this, they are already leaning one way, and inevitably go that way in the end. But fwiw, I thought we established that Phoenix is better than Tuscon, so the question is only who places better in Phoenix. Those stats don't really reflect anything about placement area. If anything, though, they seem to indicate that ASU places better, since salaries in Phoenix are notoriously low.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Arizona v Arizona State v Tulane

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:55 am

scionb4 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:I would say there is a 70% chance this thread winds up with some pictures of hot girls from ASU.


Nope, I've got a different idea:

DELETED

She and her friends are only an hour and a half away from Tulane.

Someone lacks Photoshop skills. Look at the hat.
DELETED




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tracy9524 and 7 guests