Cornell v. GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
D. H2Oman

Re: Cornell v. GULC

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 pm

johndhi wrote:
Dignan wrote:
showNprove wrote:
johndhi wrote:I sort of wish I'd applied to V and M :\

You know that you still can, right? You can even ED at V if you think you need to.

+1. And UVA would give you better opportunities than either Cornell or GULC.

It appears, however, that you need at least a 3.85 GPA to get accepted, even via ED, by UVA right now. UVA is the worst of the number whores, and they are jealously guarding their GPA median. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try, though.

?? LSN shows plenty of admits lower than that. I'm 171/3.7

170 or 3.85

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:11 pm

im_blue wrote:
johndhi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Going to a T13 isn't the end all be all.

Do you want DC or NYC? If DC go to GULC, if NYC Cornell.

I've never been to either of these towns and have no idea which I would prefer. Both have been hyped beyond belief by people I've met, though. Philadelphia sounds pretty nice to me.

(West Coaster)

Is this flame? How can a West Coaster think NYC/DC are overhyped, yet Philly of all places "sounds pretty nice"?

Just never been and Philly is smaller than both (right?) so I figured it would feel a little more comfortable. It's my understanding that the weather is a little less harsh, too. I'm in SF right now.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 pm

johndhi wrote:
Just never been and Philly is smaller than both (right?) so I figured it would feel a little more comfortable. It's my understanding that the weather is a little less harsh, too. I'm in SF right now.

no.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:13 pm

I'd go Cornell because it has good big law placement in NYC.

Though for class of 2009 Gulc did almost well enough to land in the T13 in terms of big law placement, but only because DC firms didn't shitcan SA's.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:14 pm

johndhi wrote:
Dignan wrote:
showNprove wrote:
johndhi wrote:I sort of wish I'd applied to V and M :\

You know that you still can, right? You can even ED at V if you think you need to.

+1. And UVA would give you better opportunities than either Cornell or GULC.

It appears, however, that you need at least a 3.85 GPA to get accepted, even via ED, by UVA right now. UVA is the worst of the number whores, and they are jealously guarding their GPA median. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try, though.

?? LSN shows plenty of admits lower than that. I'm 171/3.7

Yep. And most (all?) of them were either (a) accepted before January or (b) Virgina residents. It's too late for you to be A, and I don't think you're B. (120 of Virgina seats have to go to Virginia residents by law; their numbers tend to be lower than OOS admits.)

Over the last, oh, six weeks or so, all the OOS acceptances are going to applicants with 3.85 GPA or better. The pattern has become so clear that it's comical.

But, like I said before, it wouldn't hurt to try. 171/3.7 is respectable.

cicely101

Postby cicely101 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Isn't it too late to apply to Michigan? I thought their deadline was 2/15.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Dignan wrote:Yep. And most (all?) of them were either (a) accepted before January or (b) Virgina residents. It's too late for you to be A, and I don't think you're B. (120 of Virgina seats have to go to Virginia residents by law; their numbers tend to be lower than OOS admits.)

Over the last, oh, six weeks or so, all the OOS acceptances are going to applicants with 3.85 GPA or better. The pattern has become so clear that it's comical.

LOL. Is this a flame? This is horrible advice.

OP, if you ED to UVa right now, you'd have a great chance. Someone was just accepted with a high LSAT/low GPA, and your GPA isn't even "low." If you're not happy with your current choices, and you don't mind the prospect of paying sticker at a higher-ranked school, then ED to UVa asap.

Frankly, I'm surprised why you didn't apply to MVPB in the first place.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:30 pm

showNprove wrote:
Dignan wrote:Yep. And most (all?) of them were either (a) accepted before January or (b) Virgina residents. It's too late for you to be A, and I don't think you're B. (120 of Virgina seats have to go to Virginia residents by law; their numbers tend to be lower than OOS admits.)

OP, if you ED to UVa right now, you'd have a great chance. Someone was just accepted with a high LSAT/low GPA, and your GPA isn't even "low." If you're not happy with your current choices, and you don't mind the prospect of paying sticker at a higher-ranked school, then ED to UVa asap.

Only T-14s I didn't apply to were Y, M, N and V - I thought I'd be getting into P and hopefully NYU but beginning to think it might just be G and Cornell. That said, I've only been rejected from S so far; held at some others.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 pm

johndhi wrote:
showNprove wrote:

Only T-14s I didn't apply to were Y, M, N and V - I thought I'd be getting into P and hopefully NYU but beginning to think it might just be G and Cornell. That said, I've only been rejected from S so far; held at some others.

I'd wait out for as long as you can before you ED to UVa, if you choose to, just in case you want to keep your options open. Look up the deadline, prepare your application, and if you're still worried you won't get in anywhere better than CG, then make the choice to ED or not a couple days before the deadline.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:38 pm

showNprove wrote:
johndhi wrote:
showNprove wrote:

I'd wait out for as long as you can before you ED to UVa, if you choose to, just in case you want to keep your options open. Look up the deadline, prepare your application, and if you're still worried you won't get in anywhere better than CG, then make the choice to ED or not a couple days before the deadline.

I don't think I'm going to ED there unless all my other apps go sour before deadline. I'm going to do RD tomorrow afternoon and see where it gets me.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 pm

johndhi wrote:
im_blue wrote:
johndhi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Going to a T13 isn't the end all be all.

Do you want DC or NYC? If DC go to GULC, if NYC Cornell.

I've never been to either of these towns and have no idea which I would prefer. Both have been hyped beyond belief by people I've met, though. Philadelphia sounds pretty nice to me.

(West Coaster)

Is this flame? How can a West Coaster think NYC/DC are overhyped, yet Philly of all places "sounds pretty nice"?

Except for this: --LinkRemoved--

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:22 am

Last edited by galahad85 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

roxj

Postby roxj » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:55 am

IMO, the biggest differences between the two schools are 1) placement (DC v NY), 2) size (huge, tiny), and 3) environment (heart of DC versus isolated NY). They both have insane lay prestige, they are both respectable schools (despite GULC bashing on TLS). Unless you want to go into government or think you want to work in DC or NY, I would pick based on if you are big school/city person, or if you prefer a rural, academic environment.

Once again, IMO, but I think GULC would be a lot more fun. Cornell is supposed to be pretty intense. There are plenty of distractions in DC if you need to get away from your classmates, and a packed bar review each week if you don't.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:49 am

Dignan wrote:
Yep. And most (all?) of them were either (a) accepted before January or (b) Virgina residents. It's too late for you to be A, and I don't think you're B. (120 of Virgina seats have to go to Virginia residents by law; their numbers tend to be lower than OOS admits.)

Er.... Hi! (Points to LSN profile).

edit: In all seriousness you don't need to ED to UVa (unless you really want to go there of course.) If I were you, I'd just wait out the cycle.

NY88

Postby NY88 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:21 am

Go where you get the most money. Both are great schools. If push comes to shove Cornell does have the Ivy League prestige.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”