Cornell v. GULC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
johndhi

Bronze

Cornell v. GULC

Post by johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:46 pm

It looks like it may be coming to this. What are your guys' thoughts?

They seem like schools on opposite ends of the spectrum - one is huge, one is tiny. What are the real strengths of Cornell, and what puts it ahead (slightly) of GULC in the rankings? I understand the recent shitty OCIs is the basis for the GULC hate on TLS, but what is the basis for the Cornell hate? I sort of wish I'd applied to V and M :\

im_blue

Gold

Re: Cornell v. GULC

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Strengths of Cornell: placement in NYC biglaw, Ivy prestige, small class size, easiest T14 to get into
Why Cornell hate: location location location (middle of nowhere and cold weather), easiest T14 to get into

Strengths of GULC: DC location, clinics, ability to intern locally, lay prestige
Why GULC hate: biglaw placement ITE, large class size, PT students with weaker numbers (T14 backdoor)
Last edited by im_blue on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Where/want do you want to do?

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:50 pm

a bunch of the cool people from the BP thread have declared that it is now the T13 and not the T14, so i'd go with cornell.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:53 pm

johndhi wrote:It looks like it may be coming to this. What are your guys' thoughts?

They seem like schools on opposite ends of the spectrum - one is huge, one is tiny. What are the real strengths of Cornell, and what puts it ahead (slightly) of GULC in the rankings? I understand the recent shitty OCIs is the basis for the GULC hate on TLS, but what is the basis for the Cornell hate? I sort of wish I'd applied to V and M :\
Err...I don't think that Cornell's OCIs went so well either. In any case, the strengths of the schools are fairly obvious: Cornell is better for NYC biglaw placement; GULC is better for DC big law placement and for PI, particularly in the federal government. GULC has slightly better national judge/lawyer ratings, but I think the two degrees are similarly mobile.

I'd forget all about the rankings difference. For all you know, Cornell will be ranked 16th by the time you graduate in 2013. If you want big law or PI in DC, then go with GULC; if you want big law in NYC, then go with Cornell. If you're not sure, then go to the school that feels right to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:54 pm

dk8 wrote:a bunch of the cool people from the BP thread have declared that it is now the T13 and not the T14, so i'd go with cornell.
It wasn't declared it is the objective truth.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:54 pm

dk8 wrote:a bunch of the cool people from the BP thread have declared that it is now the T13 and not the T14, so i'd go with cornell.
haha Desert Fox is pushing this so hard.

Edit: I absolutely cannot believe you got to it before me in this thread. You are an anti GTTTown maniac.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Going to a T13 isn't the end all be all.

Do you want DC or NYC? If DC go to GULC, if NYC Cornell.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
OMG 180 hth!!!

but seriously, i've heard this before from people other than you. got any good links that would prove this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Dignan wrote: If you're not sure, then go to the school that feels right to you.
Mostly asked to confirm this thought, I guess.

I am not sure re big law right now - I don't know how interested in it I am. I guess I need to read up on what it is all about, what it's like, etc. I work at a... mid-sized firm, I guess, right now (3 offices, ~50 attorneys) as a paralegal and think it is fantastic. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like even bigger, but I am slightly afraid of the giant, anonymous sweat shop that I sometimes envision big law as.

I haven't seen much talk on these boards about becoming, say, a plaintiffs' trial lawyer. Or just trying to find something a little less evil than defending pharmaceutical and auto manufacturers.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 pm

dk8 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
OMG 180 hth!!!

but seriously, i've heard this before from people other than you. got any good links that would prove this?
How could one possibly "prove" that an arbitrary sub-class (t13/t14) of an arbitrary ranking system is correct? The OP already seems unduly influenced by rankings. Let's not make it worse.

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 pm

which of these would be more useful for chicago biglaw?

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Going to a T13 isn't the end all be all.

I've never been to either of these towns and have no idea which I would prefer. Both have been hyped beyond belief by people I've met, though. Philadelphia sounds pretty nice to me.

(West Coaster)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 pm

I think considering them in terms of their job prospects isn't going to get you anywhere because they seem pretty similar. This is however, the only way they appear similar. So you should definatley consider which atmosphere you prefer for the next three years.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 pm

johndhi wrote:
Dignan wrote: If you're not sure, then go to the school that feels right to you.
Mostly asked to confirm this thought, I guess.

I am not sure re big law right now - I don't know how interested in it I am. I guess I need to read up on what it is all about, what it's like, etc. I work at a... mid-sized firm, I guess, right now (3 offices, ~50 attorneys) as a paralegal and think it is fantastic. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like even bigger, but I am slightly afraid of the giant, anonymous sweat shop that I sometimes envision big law as.

I haven't seen much talk on these boards about becoming, say, a plaintiffs' trial lawyer. Or just trying to find something a little less evil than defending pharmaceutical and auto manufacturers.
That helps. You know, if you need to "find yourself" a bit, I would lean towards Cornell. The more intimate setting might help you figure things out. But, first, you need to make sure that you would be ok living in Ithica. I like Ithica, but it's definitely not for everyone.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Cornell. ITE, you really need to be at T13 unless you get good money.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 pm

iamtaw wrote:which of these would be more useful for chicago biglaw?
Flip a coin.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 pm

Dignan wrote:
dk8 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
OMG 180 hth!!!

How could one possibly "prove" that an arbitrary sub-class (t13/t14) of an arbitrary ranking system is correct? The OP already seems unduly influenced by rankings. Let's not make it worse.
i realized this right after i posted it. i was going to edit but was waiting for a response. i've heard the same anecdotal evidence about GULC's OCI lately, I just wanted to see if there was any hard data that I don't know about.

i wasn't being serious OP. carry on

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 pm

johndhi wrote:I sort of wish I'd applied to V and M :\
You know that you still can, right? You can even ED at V if you think you need to.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 pm

Dignan wrote:But, first, you need to make sure that you would be ok living in Ithica. I like Ithica, but it's definitely not for everyone.
I liked Rocky IV - do you think I'd like it there?

I wouldn't say I need to find myself, exactly - I know that I want to be a conniving lawyer who works a ton and makes friends in high places and doesn't ever give people the whole answer, but I'm just not certain where and if in a big firm or a smaller one. Do you have any suggestions for how to figure that sort of thing out?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:06 pm

johndhi wrote:

I've never been to either of these towns and have no idea which I would prefer. Both have been hyped beyond belief by people I've met, though. Philadelphia sounds pretty nice to me.

(West Coaster)
Flame

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 pm

showNprove wrote:
You know that you still can, right? You can even ED at V if you think you need to.
+1. And UVA would give you better opportunities than either Cornell or GULC.

It appears, however, that you need at least a 3.85 GPA to get accepted, even via ED, by UVA right now. UVA is the worst of the number whores, and they are jealously guarding their GPA median. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try, though.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
johndhi wrote:

(West Coaster)
Flame
ha - my ex-girlfriend convinced me it's nice there and I really like Always Sunny. Wasn't there a game show where last place always meant you won a trip to Philadelphia?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:09 pm

johndhi wrote:

(West Coaster)
Is this flame? How can a West Coaster think NYC/DC are overhyped, yet Philly of all places "sounds pretty nice"?

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:09 pm

Dignan wrote:
showNprove wrote:
+1. And UVA would give you better opportunities than either Cornell or GULC.

It appears, however, that you need at least a 3.85 GPA to get accepted, even via ED, by UVA right now. UVA is the worst of the number whores, and they are jealously guarding their GPA median. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try, though.
?? LSN shows plenty of admits lower than that. I'm 171/3.7

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”