qwrqwrqwerq

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pleasetryagain

Re: Who here is turning down a full ride?

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:46 am

englawyer wrote:i have kind of an interesting situation in the whole free-ride debate.

i am considering a full-ride at one school vs HLS. however, my GF has a job in Boston, and especially since its her first entry-level job, it is pretty much non-negotiable for her to move (we live together). So I would be moving to a high-COL area where I will be living by myself and she will be living by herself in Boston, which adds about 18k/yr to our finances (assuming $1500/mo). While we are not engaged, that could be in the future, and it is worth considering joint finances. Roughly half the advantage of the full-ride is eliminated.

Thus a potential toss-up situation starts to lean towards HLS, when a full-ride becomes a half-ride or a half-ride becomes worth nothing. This is not even considering the down-sides of a long-distance relationship on a personal level either.

Shiiit.. if you don't want it Ill take your seat and your girl off your hands for you...you don't want all those headaches anyway...

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:49 am

thanks for the tips everyone. that is how i am leaning at this point :P

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:03 am

englawyer wrote:thanks for the tips everyone. that is how i am leaning at this point :P

Shut up punk you me and the rest of TLS know your going to harvard

(giant allknowing laugh)

HJO

Postby HJO » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:07 am

englawyer wrote:thanks for the tips everyone. that is how i am leaning at this point :P

I can't imagine having to choose between Harvard w/ girlfriend and no Harvard w/ no girlfriend, sounds like a really hard decision to make. Make sure you take your time and consider all of the options before you make your choice.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:50 pm

May be withdrawing soon from a Tier 2 school that wants to interview me for a full ride, because I'm concerned about this school's ability to place well even in its own market, outside of a specific field of law that isn't my primary interest. Still, even though the logic makes sense in my head, the idea of passing up a chance for a full scholarship keeps me up at night.

flchick1

Postby flchick1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm turning down a full ride at Michigan State. I just can't stomach going there, free or not. It's the only school outside the top 100 I even applied to and I'm not quite sure why I did...

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:16 pm

I know I'm legions behind all you HYS kids, BUT I'm turning down a mostly full ride at Cal Western for either Oregon with a small scholly or USD.

I know I know, who wants to pay sticker at a measly regional T2? Well, if I go to USD I'm going part time, living at home, and planning on working enough to cover most of my living expenses.

From what I've heard, USD is where most of the SD opportunity is and I feel good about it. I don't want to work my butt off to keep my scholly against the crazy curve at Cal Western only to end up with mediocre prospects.

My scholly at Oregon is enough to make my tuition more like in-state. Plus, Oregon's a lot cheaper than Cali in general.

Eat my dust! lol

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:28 pm

PDaddy wrote:
HJO wrote:Does this scare you guys at all? I turned down a full ride to my local T2, only top 100 school in my state. I can't wait to get out of here, and I have always planned on leaving after UG. I feel really good about where i'm headed so it wasn't a big decision for me to make considering all you can do out of my state school is work in this state. Just curious about who all is turning down a free education, im sure with so many great applicants on TLS many of you are.

So, you live in KS, NE, AR, MS, NV, ID, SC, VT, or HI.

None of the schools that could be on the list would be so compelling as to warrant losing sleep if you got some money at a T1, or even if you got into a high T1 w/o money. If it was strictly about leaving the state, there are some decent schools in those states: Kansas, USC2, Ol' Miss, and Vermont (which is T3 in USNWR), so you just want to make sure you do your homework.

Last year, I walked away from a full ride at Howard (among a couple of others), and I am beginning to think I made a mistake. Howard's OCR/OCI rivals or even exceeds that of T14 schools.

Yeah this is something i'm pondering. My option right now is Howard Fullride vs. WashU 65% schoolarship

Howards's OCI has more impressive employers/g-men at it's OCI, but WashU places slightly more into Biglaw each year.

decisions decisions.

Eazy E

Postby Eazy E » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm turning down a full ride at Indiana. Their acceptance date is April 1st, which is way too early for me to visit all the other schools I'm looking at. It seems like a good regional school, but it's the exact region I'm trying to get out of.

A lady from the career services office at Chicago said to me, "$30k in debt might as well be $130 if you don't have a job." I think that's the trade-off here: lower debt load, but harder to pay it off because of lesser job opportunities. That's how I see it, at least.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
lady from the career services office at Chicago wrote:$30k in debt might as well be $130 if you don't have a job.

This person has obviously never actually faced these possibilities.

Yeah, you could manage 30K in debt working at McDonalds.

Eazy E

Postby Eazy E » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:57 pm

Well it wasn't supposed to be a scientific analysis, but I see your point. It's a trade-off either way.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:33 pm

jcl2 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
lady from the career services office at Chicago wrote:$30k in debt might as well be $130 if you don't have a job.

This person has obviously never actually faced these possibilities.

Yeah, you could manage 30K in debt working at McDonalds.

lol wut? Yeah not really.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm

I would have loved to go to law school tuition free but my stupid GPA (2.8 ) fucked that up except for maybe some TTT's.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Turning down a full ride from LSU.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:Turning down a full ride from LSU.

You a knucklehead.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Umm I turned down a full ride at Florida Coastal and I didn't even applied there. Lol Did anyone else get that email from whoever it was? He emailed me at least 10 times about it, saying that when I applied I would receive full-tuition. Then I did my research on them and I read that it was a scam and to avoid that school at all costs. :?

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:Turning down a full ride from LSU.

You a knucklehead.

:lol:

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:58 pm

hellokitty wrote:Umm I turned down a full ride at Florida Coastal and I didn't even applied there. Lol Did anyone else get that email from whoever it was? He emailed me at least 10 times about it, saying that when I applied I would receive full-tuition. Then I did my research on them and I read that it was a scam and to avoid that school at all costs. :?

My undergrad has a T4 law school and I got about a million emails from them offering a full ride, even though I hadn't applied.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:01 pm

hellokitty wrote:Umm I turned down a full ride at Florida Coastal and I didn't even applied there. Lol Did anyone else get that email from whoever it was? He emailed me at least 10 times about it, saying that when I applied I would receive full-tuition. Then I did my research on them and I read that it was a scam and to avoid that school at all costs. :?

Yep, Steve Jones.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:

Yep, Steve Jones.

Lol, I just looked in my email. It was totally him. I emailed him back saying thanks but no thanks and he sent like 5 more emails asking me to reconsider and talking about their programs. *sigh*

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:14 pm

hellokitty wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:

Yep, Steve Jones.

Lol, I just looked in my email. It was totally him. I emailed him back saying thanks but no thanks and he sent like 5 more emails asking me to reconsider and talking about their programs. *sigh*

If I get one more e-mail from these kinds of folks, I'm calling Chris Hansen. It's time for Dateline NBC to do "To Catch a TTTT Law School Scammer." He could go undercover just like he did to catch the ID thieves. Maybe this time, instead of "Jimi Demoni," he could be "Ivan A. Scholly."

doopwooper

Postby doopwooper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:35 am

I will probably be turning down two free rides. I've gotten into much better schools with some scholarship money from those. Somehow I still feel like an ass though! heh

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:29 pm

I turned down full rides at WUSTL and Dozo.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:14 pm

woeisme wrote:I turned down full rides at WUSTL and Dozo.

YUP, don't you feel guilty turning down WUSTL though? I feel bad about it, its an awesome school which many would kill to get into. And it isn't like your absolutely effed when it comes to getting a job either, you still have a shot to get into Big Law. Great regional prospects as well... Sigh well the t14's, well I should say t6's power to destroy WUSTL yield shouldn't be taken lightly.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:23 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
woeisme wrote:I turned down full rides at WUSTL and Dozo.

YUP, don't you feel guilty turning down WUSTL though? I feel bad about it, its an awesome school which many would kill to get into. And it isn't like your absolutely effed when it comes to getting a job either, you still have a shot to get into Big Law. Great regional prospects as well... Sigh well the t14's, well I should say t6's power to destroy WUSTL yield shouldn't be taken lightly.

I have never felt any guilt about turning down a full ride at WUSTL. I feel worse about turning down 2/3 scholly at BC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”