Berkeley vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kronk

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:06 am

UPenn and Stanford are tied for UG ranking. Just thought that should be noted.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:07 am

Kronk wrote:UPenn and Stanford are tied for UG ranking. Just thought that should be noted.

I hate you. I really do.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:08 am

Since you guys are throwing out anecdotes, one of my friends got into Boalt, but was really holding out for NYU and Columbia. S/he considered for a very long time to withdraw her/his applications and reapply the following year to get into NYU or Columbia. S/he almost withdrew all the apps and was going to retake the LSAT, but at the last minute s/he decided to go to Boalt. S/he went to Boalt for the first year and then transferred to NYU/Columbia.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:10 am

irishman86 wrote:Since you guys are throwing out anecdotes, one of my friends got into Boalt, but was really holding out for NYU and Columbia. S/he considered for a very long time to withdraw her/his applications and reapply the following year to get into NYU or Columbia. S/he almost withdrew all the apps and was going to retake the LSAT, but at the last minute s/he decided to go to Boalt. S/he went to Boalt for the first year and then transferred to NYU/Columbia.

LULZ. What a moron.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:12 am

Kronk wrote:
irishman86 wrote:Since you guys are throwing out anecdotes, one of my friends got into Boalt, but was really holding out for NYU and Columbia. S/he considered for a very long time to withdraw her/his applications and reapply the following year to get into NYU or Columbia. S/he almost withdrew all the apps and was going to retake the LSAT, but at the last minute s/he decided to go to Boalt. S/he went to Boalt for the first year and then transferred to NYU/Columbia.

LULZ. What a moron.

? Boalt has more transfer-outs than any other top 10.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:12 am

Kronk wrote:

LULZ. What a moron.

Yeah, why the hell would anyone do this? If you have the grades to transfer, you're doing really well at Boalt and as far as I know, transferring negates all the work you've done.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:13 am

does anyone really believe that boalttt students are on par with the rest of their t6 peers? like, i mean seriously hold that opinion with a straight face?

i'm guessing a typical boalttt app looks something like "oh look at me, i did some quasi-interesting/dumb/outright criminal shit once upon a time, now i have a 146 lsat score and a 4.0 from ttt clown college. let me in dude."
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:13 am

irishman86 wrote:
Kronk wrote:

LULZ. What a moron.

? Boalt has more transfer-outs than any other top 10.

Probably to HYS. Really dumb to transfer Boalt-->NYU.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:13 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:does anyone really believe that boalttt students are on par with the rest of their t6 peers? like, i mean seriously hold that opinion with a straight face?

i'm guessing a typical boalttt app looks something like "oh look at me, i did some quasi-interesting/dumb/outright criminal shit once upon a time, now i have a 146 lsat score and a 4.0 from ttt clown college, now let me in dude."

[Insert 550/550 GPA joke here]

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:15 am

Surprised they even took Slickback. Apparently it is a down year for black applicants. Last year they got a 179 / 3.6 dude. APNS is second string.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:16 am

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:

LULZ. What a moron.

Yeah, why the hell would anyone do this? If you have the grades to transfer, you're doing really well at Boalt and as far as I know, transferring negates all the work you've done.

You don't need really good grades, unless you want to transfer to HYS. Friend was probably around top 1/3.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:does anyone really believe that boalttt students are on par with the rest of their t6 peers? like, i mean seriously hold that opinion with a straight face?

i'm guessing a typical boalttt app looks something like "oh look at me, i did some quasi-interesting/dumb/outright criminal shit once upon a time, now i have a 146 lsat score and a 4.0 from ttt clown college. let me in dude."

This is actually exactly how I got in.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:18 am

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 am

irishman86 wrote:
$1.99 wrote:Boalt is a joke these days, go for the ivy league prestige, this is not sarcasm, i am dead serious

Thank you for bringing rationality back into the thread. I think the Boalt trolls are now rivaling UVA trolls.

Boalt's LSAT IQ: 164 - 168- 170
Columbia's LSAT IQ: 170 - 173- 175

I doubt many people have the chance to choose Boalt over Columbia, but it probably happens often the other way around.

Also, by this logic, most (if not all) Columbia/Stanford cross admits would choose CLS, right?

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:24 am

over/under on the many boalttt students can say the alphabet correctly?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:26 am

crackberry wrote:
irishman86 wrote:
$1.99 wrote:Boalt is a joke these days, go for the ivy league prestige, this is not sarcasm, i am dead serious

Thank you for bringing rationality back into the thread. I think the Boalt trolls are now rivaling UVA trolls.

I doubt many people have the chance to choose Boalt over Columbia, but it probably happens often the other way around.

Also, by this logic, most (if not all) Columbia/Stanford cross admits would choose CLS, right?

Reductio ad absurdum. I like :D

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:27 am

crackberry wrote:
irishman86 wrote:

No, Crackberry, you're wrong. I would explain it to you, but you wouldn't understand because of your low "LSAT IQ."

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:44 am

I, a Boalt student, wish my school had a higher LSAT IQ.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:52 am

bilbobaggins wrote:I, a Boalt student, wish my school had a higher LSAT IQ.

It's the only valid measure of a person's worth.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 am

Seriously? Do you feel like the student body isn't as qualified? Honest question as I'm considering Boalttt.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 am

in all seriousness though, do you sense that there is a price being paid as far as student quality for admissions' deemphasizing of the lsat?

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:54 am

Kronk wrote:

Seriously? Do you feel like the student body isn't as qualified? Honest question as I'm considering Boalttt.

Hahaha, no, not seriously at all. It's a play on a couple of the memes floating around TLS (and the ridiculous concept of "LSAT IQ.")

The student body is incredibly qualified. As qualified as any other law school out there. Come visit. :)

Edit to address the second query: The LSAT is a good indicator until you start splitting hairs over a few points. You can say whatever you want to about GPA, but it requires a more consistent effort over a much longer period of time than the LSAT (and this is coming from someone below my class's GPA 25th percentile and at 75th for LSAT).

As I've said on TLS many times over, Boalt gets kids who could've gone to Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc. TLS is a tiny portion of the law school universe and many students choose against rankings. I will also say that Boalt students (as most T14 students) have incredible backgrounds, regardless of LSAT or GPA and to be honest, background is much more convincing than a single score or a GPA. I hate to say this to TLS's generally in UG population, but most of my classmates who have a couple of years out of school are almost more qualified by default. They understand how to think critically on the job, deal with other people and are usually less sheltered. It's usually those straight out of UG that have higher "LSAT IQs," but are way less interesting or competent when you actually speak with them.

Again, someone's worth as a practicing lawyer does not often correlate with their grades in law school or where they went. The insular nature of this site and the lack of first hand experience generates the opposite perception.
Last edited by bilbobaggins on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 am

Best way to go about bribing FR committee to let me into my top choice?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:56 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Hahaha, no, not seriously at all. It's a play on a couple of the memes floating around TLS (and the ridiculous concept of "LSAT IQ.")

The student body is incredibly qualified. As qualified as any other law school out there. Come visit. :)

Coming to ASW. Just hoping they match my Chicago offer. Then it will be an easier choice.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:56 am

bilbobaggins wrote:

Doesn't IQ stand for interquartile? I know most law students are math/stats noobs, but really...anyone who has taken basic stats would get it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”