Berkeley vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kretzy

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:51 am

Kronk wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Kronk wrote:
This. I prefer a city and I am totally sick of suburbs after living in Boulder for four years. I imagine Palo Alto is like Boulder but way wayyyyy more boring. At least we have a sweet bar scene here.

Yeah, you can exhaust most of Boulder over a bunch of weekends. At least The Buff fills me with 99 cent mimosas to cure my ills every few Sundays.

Haha. I go to the Walrus a lot, and the St. Julien if I am feeling fancy. I'll start looking for John Oliver-looking people at the Buff.

The ex-boyfriends' parents love the St. Julien. I'm definitely partial to The Buff, though, even if I'm normally a mess and a half while there.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:51 am

Kronk wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Berkeley over Yale.

I know someone who did this. It happens. People in the real world aren't always geared towards rankings.

I just got a PM from someone who took Berkeley over Harvard essentially at sticker.

I would have done this (though admittedly it's easier to say than do).

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:51 am

Boalt is a joke these days, go for the ivy league prestige, this is not sarcasm, i am dead serious

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 am

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

I know someone who did this. It happens. People in the real world aren't always geared towards rankings.

I just got a PM from someone who took Berkeley over Harvard essentially at sticker.

I've talked to someone who did Berkeley at sticker over Yale and SLS. Compelling, though ultimately unpersuasive.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 am

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

I said I would too. Anytime I say I'm not attending Boalt I realize how much I love Berkeley and the feeling fades.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 am

$1.99 wrote:Boalt is a joke these days, go for the ivy league prestige, this is not sarcasm, i am dead serious

Cornell > Boalt?

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:53 am

fortissimo wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:[
Are you serious? You must be painfully boring.

Having lived in SF, Berkeley and Palo Alto, I would never, ever live in PA ever again. You couldn't pay me to live there.

I also love the Oakland - Berkeley conflation that goes on around TLS.

What area did you live in in PA?

Alma and Loma Verde. There are like 3 bars in "downtown" PA and a bunch of yuppie BS. The Peninsula, in general, sucks.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:53 am

Kretzy wrote:I've talked to someone who did Berkeley at sticker over Yale and SLS. Compelling, though ultimately unpersuasive.

Seriously what were his/her reasons if not an SO?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:54 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:[
Are you serious? You must be painfully boring.

Having lived in SF, Berkeley and Palo Alto, I would never, ever live in PA ever again. You couldn't pay me to live there.

I also love the Oakland - Berkeley conflation that goes on around TLS.

What area did you live in in PA?

Alma and Loma Verde. There are like 3 bars in "downtown" PA and a bunch of yuppie BS. The Peninsula, in general, sucks.

Credited. PA bars suck, but Stanford is closer to beaches/Big Sur, etc. than Berkeley. Then again, Berkeley is closer to Tahoe, Yosemite, etc.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:55 am

crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I've talked to someone who did Berkeley at sticker over Yale and SLS. Compelling, though ultimately unpersuasive.

Seriously what were his/her reasons if not an SO?

Lots, mainly the general "feel" of the LS population (having said s/he visited all 3). Still happy with the choice (albeit made a couple of years ago), and doing very well there.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:55 am

Marginally. We're about equidistant from Bolinas, Point Reyes, John Muir, etc. etc. etc.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:56 am

$1.99 wrote:Boalt is a joke these days, go for the ivy league prestige, this is not sarcasm, i am dead serious

Thank you for bringing rationality back into the thread. I think the Boalt trolls are now rivaling UVA trolls.

Boalt's LSAT IQ: 164 - 168- 170
Columbia's LSAT IQ: 170 - 173- 175

I doubt many people have the chance to choose Boalt over Columbia, but it probably happens often the other way around.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:56 am

The worst part about Berkeley by far is the fact that the grading system seems really superficial / might as well just be letter grades and that they don't really give much merit aid.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:57 am

irishman86 wrote:

Thank you for bringing rationality back into the thread. I think the Boalt trolls are now rivaling UVA trolls.

I doubt many people have the chance to choose Boalt over Columbia, but it probably happens often the other way around.

Mathematically impossible. If admitted to both schools, there is an equal opportunity to choose one over the other.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:57 am

bilbobaggins wrote:Marginally. We're about equidistant from Bolinas, Point Reyes, John Muir, etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, there is no question Berkeley >> Stanford as far as location. The weather is consistently a little better in PA, though, and the law school is also a little better. For these reasons (and my underlying hatred for Cal and Oskie), I'll be going with SLS.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:58 am

Kretzy wrote:
irishman86 wrote:

Mathematically impossible. If admitted to both schools, there is an equal opportunity to choose one over the other.

Choose* not "have the chance"

If you guys want anecdotal stories, all my friends who were cross-admits ended up going to Columbia.
Last edited by irishman86 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:58 am

Kretzy wrote:
irishman86 wrote:

Ahahaha.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:59 am

irishman86 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
irishman86 wrote:

Yield rates are both 34%. Doesn't really answer the question, but yield rates are about the same. hth

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:59 am

Kretzy wrote:
irishman86 wrote:

He didn't say "having been accepted into both." His statement leaves open the possibility of getting into one of the two or both schools.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 am

stratocophic wrote:He didn't say "having been accepted into both." His statement leaves open the possibility of getting into one of the two or both schools.

Fail. In order to choose one over the other you have to be admitted to both. hth

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 am

Kronk wrote:Yield rates are both 34%. Doesn't really answer the question, but yield rates are about the same. hth

Columbia accepts more Harvard, Yale, and Stanford admits.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:01 am

irishman86 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
irishman86 wrote:

Yeah, I was watching Big Bang Theory and just choosing to be a dick. My beezy.

Honestly, I'd bet Columbia and Boalt have (comparatively) few acceptance overlaps.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:03 am

Kronk wrote:
stratocophic wrote:He didn't say "having been accepted into both." His statement leaves open the possibility of getting into one of the two or both schools.

Fail. In order to choose one over the other you have to be admitted to both. hth

I'd consider being accepted at one and rejected at the other having the choice made for me. Also, he said "have the chance to choose," not choose.

Edit: It's late and I should be studying Gas Dynamics. Not sure why I waded into this thread again.
Last edited by stratocophic on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:04 am

crackberry wrote:

Cornell > Boalt?

i am operating under the assumption that people are slowly realizing that cornell is an ivy league imposter and a has been so that TTT school doesn't count as an ivy league starting 2010. upenn still is since it has wharton to save its reputation. even Boalttt is better than cornell and that is saying something

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:04 am

Honestly, I'm not sure which is worse. Going to law school in Oakland or going to law school in a South American country infested with right-wing paramilitary groups and left-wing terrorists like the FARC.

Lose/lose if you ask me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”