Berkeley vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gymboree

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby gymboree » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:26 am

Now *that* guy knows what he wants in life. Rock on IndianDude.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 am

crackberry wrote:The only reason to pick BoalTTT over Columbia w/ Butler is if you are like this dude (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/IndianDude/jd) and hate cold weather (which, being from SoCal, you probably do).

I suppose if you know for absolutely sure you want to do PI on the West Coast, then BoalTTT = Columbia and given the LRAP, the Butler becomes somewhat irrelevant.

hahahaha...Gotta love Boalttt trolls starting fake accounts. The commentary just makes it seem retarded and even more fake.

And I'm pretty sure that guy is "going to Stanford" anyway.
Last edited by fortissimo on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:29 am

gymboree wrote:Now *that* guy knows what he wants in life. Rock on IndianDude.

With a Native American URM boost I figure he scored about a 199 on the LSAT, so he is pretty much set.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:30 am

In all seriousness, if I were faced with your choice (which I'm not. There's no way in hell I'd get a Butler with my pitiful 169), I'd pick Berkeley, if only because I want to do environmental law in the Bay Area after maybe clerking for a year after school (preferably on the Ninth Circuit). Berkeley has a much better environmental program than CLS and its clerking prospects aren't that much worse. Given that I will be making roughly $40K/year, I won't have to worry too much about debt, so the Butler wouldn't sway me (TBF, both schools have incredible LRAPs).

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:31 am

fortissimo wrote:
crackberry wrote:The only reason to pick BoalTTT over Columbia w/ Butler is if you are like this dude (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/IndianDude/jd) and hate cold weather (which, being from SoCal, you probably do).

I suppose if you know for absolutely sure you want to do PI on the West Coast, then BoalTTT = Columbia and given the LRAP, the Butler becomes somewhat irrelevant.

hahahaha...Gotta love Boalttt trolls starting fake accounts. The commentary just makes it seem retarded and even more fake.

What's amazing is he is apparently real. Someone knows him.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:32 am

crackberry wrote:
fortissimo wrote:

What's amazing is he is apparently real. Someone knows him.

Right, the someone who started the fake account...People will believe anything online.

Unless this "someone" is willing to give us a full real name and facebook link (in the Cornell network), I'm not believing it.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:34 am

fortissimo wrote:Right, the someone who started the fake account...People will believe anything online.

Unless this "someone" is willing to give us a full real name and facebook link (in the Cornell network), I'm not believing it.

Fair enough. I don't care enough to do the research, though.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 am

fortissimo wrote:Right, the someone who started the fake account...People will believe anything online.

I don't see why it's unbelievable. If a native american actually did have a 179 and that GPA, he would be accepted everywhere plus Hamilton. Not to mention Berkeley is the birthplace of Ethnic Studies and a MUCH cooler town than Palo Alto / Stanford so if he's all about location, I wouldn't be surprised.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 am

Kronk wrote:

I don't see why it's unbelievable. If a native american actually did have a 179 and that GPA, he would be accepted everywhere plus Hamilton. Not to mention Berkeley is the birthplace of Ethnic Studies and a MUCH cooler town than Palo Alto / Stanford so if he's all about location, I wouldn't be surprised.

South Asian...not Native American. Did you start the fake account?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 am

Kronk wrote:

Oakland sucks.

Also, he's Indian (as in from India) not NA, I believe.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:39 am

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Oakland sucks.

Palo Alto/South Bay is much better than the East Bay, a billion times over.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:39 am

fortissimo wrote:Palo Alto/South Bay is much better than the East Bay, a billion times over.

To be fair, Palo Alto is painfully boring.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:41 am

crackberry wrote:
fortissimo wrote:Palo Alto/South Bay is much better than the East Bay, a billion times over.

At least it's not dilapidated. I lived in Oakland...never, ever again.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:41 am

crackberry wrote:

This. I prefer a city and I am totally sick of suburbs after living in Boulder for four years. I imagine Palo Alto is like Boulder but way wayyyyy more boring. At least we have a sweet bar scene here.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 am

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:

This. I prefer a city and I am totally sick of suburbs after living in Boulder for four years. I imagine Palo Alto is like Boulder but way wayyyyy more boring. At least we have a sweet bar scene here.

This^2. Berkeley's a pretty awesome city, imo. Much, much better than Palo Alto.

That being said, NYC kicks the crap out of East Bay.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:44 am

Berkeley is an amazing city. It's like a little big-city. Pretty much perfect, imo.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:44 am

Last edited by fortissimo on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:45 am

Cupidity wrote:Berkeley over Yale.

I know someone who did this. It happens. People in the real world aren't always geared towards rankings.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 am

fortissimo wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Oakland sucks.

Palo Alto/South Bay is much better than the East Bay, a billion times over.

Are you serious? You must be painfully boring.

Having lived in SF, Berkeley and Palo Alto, I would never, ever live in PA ever again. You couldn't pay me to live there.

I also love the Oakland - Berkeley conflation that goes on around TLS.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 am

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Yeah, you can exhaust most of Boulder over a bunch of weekends. At least The Buff fills me with 99 cent mimosas to cure my ills every few Sundays.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:47 am

Boulder is great, and a party town. Assuming you're an undergrad sophomore or junior. Once you get out of college, though, it starts to feel pretty immature.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:47 am

Kretzy wrote:
Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Yeah, you can exhaust most of Boulder over a bunch of weekends. At least The Buff fills me with 99 cent mimosas to cure my ills every few Sundays.

Haha. I go to the Walrus a lot, and the St. Julien if I am feeling fancy. I'll start looking for John Oliver-looking people at the Buff.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:48 am

bilbobaggins wrote:

I know someone who did this. It happens. People in the real world aren't always geared towards rankings.

I just got a PM from someone who took Berkeley over Harvard essentially at sticker.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:49 am

bilbobaggins wrote:[
Are you serious? You must be painfully boring.

Having lived in SF, Berkeley and Palo Alto, I would never, ever live in PA ever again. You couldn't pay me to live there.

I also love the Oakland - Berkeley conflation that goes on around TLS.

What area did you live in in PA?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:50 am

Kronk wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

I just got a PM from someone who took Berkeley over Harvard essentially at sticker.

Berk <3

Return to “Choosing a Law School”