Berkeley vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crackberry

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 pm

$1.99 wrote:im just kidding crackberry, knowing you go to stanford i wanted to poke you with a stick, all this waiting this cycle has led me to become a flamer in the meantime to keep busy

Haha I know. Although I don't currently go there. I went there and will be going there for law school but I am not currently affiliated with the school.

Also, the underlined is quoted for posterity.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 pm

yale or harvard won't change your mind about SLS?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 pm

$1.99 wrote:yale or harvard won't change your mind about SLS?

Is there any thread on here that can't get hijacked into a "Will Crackberry go to YLS or SLS?" discussion. :D

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Dignan wrote:

Is there any thread on here that can't get hijacked into a "Will Crackberry go to YLS or SLS?" discussion. :D

Crackberry going to SLS is like the 'i before e' rule.

Crackberry goes to SLS...always.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:52 am

for the record, i don't have the slightest desire to attend boalt, and in all likelihood would have been admitted.

i just genuinely think it doesn't belong in the t6.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:53 am

Kretzy wrote:
Dignan wrote:

Except after C? What kind of f'ed up elementary school did you go to?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 am

Haven't you seen the stats dude? SLS built this city on rock and roll.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:55 am

Kronk wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Dignan wrote:

Except after C? What kind of f'ed up elementary school did you go to?

:lol: It's a Brian Regan joke, but nonetheless, I went to public school here in Southern Colorado...our nickname was "Mama Ridge" since we had the highest teen pregnancy rate in the state 4 years running...

Nonetheless, spelling wasn't emphasized...

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:57 am

Kronk wrote:

my boalt trolling days are over. i'm not even good at it anymore.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:58 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Bilbo made you look like a silly bitch, I agree.

That said, my APNS trolling days are coming to a close I think.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 am

Kretzy wrote: :lol: It's a Brian Regan joke, but nonetheless, I went to public school here in Southern Colorado...our nickname was "Mama Ridge" since we had the highest teen pregnancy rate in the state 4 years running...

Haha. That's hysterical. Looks like you've done alright for yourself anyhow, though.

So you decided not to go to UChi / CLS / Boalt ASWs?

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 am

Kronk wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Bilbo made you look like a silly bitch, I agree.

That said, my APNS trolling days are coming to a close I think.

no lol, i just saw his wall of text and refused to keep going. there is like a boalt taliban of trolls on this site with whom there can be no reasoning with.

and you'll troll me again once you find out i am actually a managamy alt

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:02 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:no lol, i just saw his wall of text and refused to keep going.

Blatant defense mechanism.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:02 am

Kronk wrote:
Kretzy wrote: :lol: It's a Brian Regan joke, but nonetheless, I went to public school here in Southern Colorado...our nickname was "Mama Ridge" since we had the highest teen pregnancy rate in the state 4 years running...

Haha. That's hysterical. Looks like you've done alright for yourself anyhow, though.

So you decided not to go to UChi / CLS / Boalt ASWs?

Haha, our academic environment left much to be desired. My senior year, we sent more students into active duty than we did 2- or 4-year colleges.

I've already bought plane tickets to NYC, Chicago and SF; I'm now planning on mostly seeing friends while there. I'll definitely see UofC, since it was my top choice entering the cycle, and I'd like to check out Columbia for a bit as well.

I stand by my statement though; it's SLS (or YLS, if admitted) for me.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:03 am

I think that's a smart move. I don't think there's a better choice to make than Yale or Stanford.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:05 am

Kronk wrote:I think that's a smart move. I don't think there's a better choice to make than Yale or Stanford.

It was a dream to get into one coming into the cycle, let alone be able to choose between the two, so you're absolutely right...I couldn't be happier.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Not Harvard. Yale could be a game-changer.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:42 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:for the record, i don't have the slightest desire to attend boalt, and in all likelihood would have been admitted.

i just genuinely think it doesn't belong in the t6.

You edited this twice. I assume it originally read "in all likelihood wouldn't have been admitted"?

tinman

Postby tinman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Is there any reasonable argument for choosing Berkeley (with yet unspecified financial aid) over Columbia+Butler?

To answer the OP, yes! There are reasonable arguments. Berkeley is a great school.

Columbia has "better" stats, but who really cares? I will imagine you will have a great life regardless of which you choose, and Berkeley would make it more likely you will have it in California.

Berkeley was my first choice before I realized how much the rankings matter for some things. I wanted to give myself the best chance of becoming a professor, so I ended up choosing Yale. But I also would have liked giving myself the best chance of ending up in California. I am a 1L now, and I see my dream of moving to California slipping away. Sure, you can get a job in California from Yale or Columbia, but the fact is that most don't. NYC and DC have nearly irresistible pull. Even if you can resist because of your commitment to warmer weather, you will be leaving most of your law friends behind if you move West, which sort of sucks.

If you want to live and work in California, you should definitely consider Berkeley over Columbia. I was offered the Hamilton at Columbia. If Berkeley had matched (and I hadn't gotten into H or S), I
absolutely would have chosen Berkeley.

Peoples on TLS pretty much only follow the bare numbers. By this logic if you asked them, "Is there any reasonable argument for choosing a top law school over a top med school?" They should answer no. But that's ridiculous.

It's not all about numbers. If you love California and think you will be happy at Berkeley (I think it's very possible most people would be happier at Berkeley, and I think it's crazy to undervalue this factor). And if you are happy with the sort of jobs you can expect to get to Berkeley, then go for it.

And stay off this boards. To be honest, I wonder whether I would have chosen Yale if I had spent less time on TLS when making my decision. I love Yale for two reasons: 1) the grading system and unparalleled flexibility make me happy; 2) it seems to be a great place to train for government or academic work.

But I made two huge sacrifices in coming here: 1) giving up California and 2) giving up the chance to study at a school with strong IP and science law (S and Berkeley).

My advice: study the employment numbers, cancel your TLS account, visit each school, and go with your gut!
Last edited by tinman on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonCal

Postby CrimsonCal » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:05 pm

tinman wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:Is there any reasonable argument for choosing Berkeley (with yet unspecified financial aid) over Columbia+Butler?

To answer the OP, yes! There are reasonable arguments. Berkeley is a great school.

Columbia has "better" stats, but who really cares? I will imagine you will have a great life regardless of which you choose, and Berkeley would make it more likely you will have it in California.

Berkeley was my first choice before I realized how much the rankings matter for some things. I wanted to give myself the best chance of becoming a professor, so I ended up choosing Yale. But I also would have liked giving myself the best chance of ending up

in California. I am a 1L now, and I see my dream of moving to California slipping away. Sure, you can get a job in California from Yale or Columbia, but the fact is that most don't. NYC and DC have nearly irresistible pull. Even if you can resist because of your commitment to warming weather, you will be leaving most of your law friends behind if you move West, which sort of sucks.

If you want to live and work in California, you should definitely consider Berkeley or Columbia. I was offered the Hamilton at Columbia. If Berkeley had matched (and I hadn't gotten into H or S), I
absolutely would have chosen Berkeley.

Peoples on TLS pretty much only follow the bare numbers. By this logic if you asked them, "Is there any reasonable argument for choosing a top law school over a top med school?" They should answer no. But that's ridiculous.

It's not all about numbers. If you love California and think you will be happy at Berkeley (I think it's very possible most people would be happier at Berkeley, and I think it's crazy to undervalue this factor). And if you are happy with the sort of jobs you can expect to get to Berkeley, then go for it.

And stay off this boards. To be honest, I wonder whether I would have chosen Yale if I had spent less time on TLS when making my decision. I love Yale for two reasons: 1) the grading system and unparalleled flexibility make me happy; 2) it seems to be a great place to train for government or academic work.

But I made two huge sacrifices in coming here: 1) giving up California and 2) giving up the chance to study at a school with strong IP and science law (S and Berkeley).

My advice: study the employment numbers, cancel your TLS account, visit each school, and go with your gut!

best advice ever!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”