Berkeley vs. Columbia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kronk

Diamond

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:17 pm

TCR is the Bay Area or Colorado.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:19 pm

crackberry wrote:Too much rain until you get east of the Cascades and there are no cities over there. Bend, OR, is pretty cool but too small.
I lived with my bro-bro for awhile up in Seattle. The rain isn't that bad. All around best QOL out of any place I've lived in.
Last edited by fortissimo on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:19 pm

fortissimo wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Portland - #6
I love Portland. Great food, great parks, great public transportation, relatively low COL. Worse winters than SF, but better summers. I just wish they had a T10 law school.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Dignan wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Portland - #6
I love Portland. Great food, great parks, great public transportation, relatively low COL. Worse winters than SF, but better summers. I just wish they had a T10 law school.
Ditto. The spring/summers are unbelievable up there. I wish U-Dub were t10 too.
Last edited by fortissimo on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:21 pm

fortissimo wrote:
crackberry wrote:Too much rain until you get east of the Cascades and there are no cities over there. Bend, OR, is pretty cool but too small.
Have you lived there? I lived with my bro-bro for awhile up in Seattle. The rain isn't that bad. All around best QOL out of any place I've lived in (out of 10+ places or so).
People exaggerate how bad the weather is in the Pacific NW. It's actually similar to NorCal except that the rainy season starts in October instead of November and ends in May instead of April.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Kronk wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
Kronk wrote:
fortissimo wrote:Not from the midwest but I haven't noticed it at all. I think the Jersey/Southern accents are the worst.
Eh that might be credited.
South is the worst region in all ways (weather, accents, culture).
Bostonian accent is also annoying, as well as all the "engrish" accents you hear in Cali.
I don't mind furrener accents in CA but the South is pretty bad. I can't say I prefer the weather of the midwest or the northeast though. We can probably all admit that Colorado is the greatest region on the planet--devoid of accents, 290 days of sunlight, skiing, mountain biking, etc.
I actually find slight southern accents to be kind of nice. I think just about every accent from the northeast is obnoxious, as is the strong Chicago accent.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:25 pm

Dignan wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
Have you lived there? I lived with my bro-bro for awhile up in Seattle. The rain isn't that bad. All around best QOL out of any place I've lived in (out of 10+ places or so).
People exaggerate how bad the weather is in the Pacific NW. It's actually similar to NorCal except that the rainy season starts in October instead of November and ends in May instead of April.
Well, San Francisco gets 250 days of sunlight a year as opposed to 178 in Portland. Big difference.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:25 pm

I have not lived in Portland, but I've spent a ton of time in Central Oregon, which I do love.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Dignan wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
Yeah, there's a reason why a lot of people in the PNW are much more outdoorsy than the people in Nor Cal. Besides far easier accessibility to hiking, biking, trekking (without having to drive places), the weather isn't all that wet. And the spring and summers are unbelievable. My friend from high school moved up there recently and bikes 2-3 hours a day around town right now in the midst of "winter."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:29 pm

Kronk wrote:
Dignan wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
Well, San Francisco gets 250 days of sunlight a year as opposed to 178 in Portland. Big difference.
I'm sorry, but I find that SF figure very hard to believe. Are you sure that the statistic you are quoting isn't regarding the greater SF bay area, including places like Santa Rosa and San Jose? I once lived in SF for a summer, and I think there may have been a total of 4 sunny days during all of June and July. When you combine the rainy months of November - April with the fog bound months of June - August, it's hard to imagine SF seeing more than 200 days of sun a year.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:32 pm

We've had this discussion before. Weather in SF proper is not fantastic. Weather in the Bay Area is incredible.

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Dignan wrote:
I'm sorry, but I find that SF figure very hard to believe. Are you sure that the statistic you are quoting isn't regarding the greater SF bay area, including places like Santa Rosa and San Jose? I once lived in SF for a summer, and I think there may have been a total of 4 sunny days during all of June and July. When you combine the rainy months of November - April with the fog bound months of June - August, it's hard to imagine SF seeing more than 200 days of sun a year.
It's foggy in the mornings and evenings, but it still gets sunny during the summer from like 11 - 6 or so. It's just that it's still cold while it's sunny.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:36 pm

crackberry wrote:We've had this discussion before. Weather in SF proper is not fantastic. Weather in the Bay Area is incredible.
I love the Bay Area's weather, but people who like warm summer nights are going to be disappointed, even if they're living outside of the city. Once you're west of Livermore, the marine influence cools things down quickly at night. I actually like this, but a lot of people can't get used to it being 58 degrees at 8 p.m. in the middle of July.

Most people, I think, would prefer Portland's summer weather to the Bay Area's summer weather. Like the Bay Area, the humidity is low, but you can actually be out at night without a jacket.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:We've had this discussion before. Weather in SF proper is not fantastic. Weather in the Bay Area is incredible.
I love the Bay Area's weather, but people who like warm summer nights are going to be disappointed, even if they're living outside of the city. Once you're west of Livermore, the marine influence cools things down quickly at night. I actually like this, but a lot of people can't get used to it being 58 degrees at 8 p.m. in the middle of July.

Most people, I think, would prefer Portland's summer weather to the Bay Area's summer weather. Like the Bay Area, the humidity is low, but you can actually be out at night without a jacket.
Yeah this is true. It's never warm at night in the Bay. But outside of SF, you can be almost positive it won't rain a single day from May-October.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Yes, but Stanford and Berkeley also have noticeably different climates. Berkeley is colder by 5-9 degrees from April to September.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... 7&clocid2=
Last edited by im_blue on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Dignan wrote:

It gets warmer in the spring/summer in most regions other than the Bay (PNW, Midwest, NE). The thing I like more about Portland than SF for example is that it doesn't have constant, hectic wind. SF's wind is the most annoying thing about its weather. You pretty much always need a jacket.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:40 pm

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:

Yeah this is true. It's never warm at night in the Bay. But outside of SF, you can be almost positive it won't rain a single day from May-October.
There's no question about that. I actually wish it would rain once in awhile--maybe once every three weeks or so--during the summer. The rain cleans all the grime that builds up on the streets and sidewalks. SF starts seeming extra dirty around mid-August.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Breaking News Flash: Stanford is TTT since I just found out it is not part of the prestigious ivy league.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:50 pm

$1.99 wrote:Breaking News Flash: Stanford is TTT since I just found out it is not part of the prestigious ivy league.
Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown, Penn >>>> STTTanford

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:51 pm

crackberry wrote:
$1.99 wrote:Breaking News Flash: Stanford is TTT since I just found out it is not part of the prestigious ivy league.
ROFL at Crackberry insinuating that Penn ISN'T ranked the same as STTTanford in US News and World ReporTTT this year.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
ROFL at Crackberry insinuating that Penn ISN'T ranked the same as STTTanford in US News and World ReporTTT this year.
Alumni giving FTW

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CrimsonCal

Bronze

Post by CrimsonCal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 pm

why does everyone have to waste their time with scrutanizing two great options... go where you want to go and where you'll be happy... not where you'll get the most validation on TLS...

I swear, people on here are jerking themselves off posting on here

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:03 pm

haven't you read the last couple pages? we're over that and on to the weather...

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:44 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:why does everyone have to waste their time with scrutanizing two great options.
Why? Mostly because Berkeley generates a lot of hate on TLS. I'm not exactly sure why that is. Most of the hate seems to come from people who were accepted by Columbia or Chicago but who were rejected by Berkeley. There are quite a few of them around. Many of them seem personally offended that Berkeley rejected them. Kind of like: "How dare this public school, which barely belongs in the T10, reject someone with my credentials!"

It is, apparently, not enough for these people to forget all about Berkeley and then attend one of the outstanding schools that did accept them. No, they need to denigrate Berkeley to make themselves feel better. They complain about hippies. They talk about the crime rate in the neighboring city of Oakland. They point out that Boalt was once ranked 13th in the USNWR rankings (even though it's been ranked between 6th and 10th for 13 of the last 15 years). They mock Berkeley's LSAT median. Basically, they act like a 16-year old boy who asked a girl out, got rejected, and then spent the rest of his high school days talking about how ugly the girl is. It's really sad.
Last edited by Dignan on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 pm

im just kidding crackberry, knowing you go to stanford i wanted to poke you with a stick, all this waiting this cycle has led me to become a flamer in the meantime to keep busy

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”