Berkeley vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Is there any reasonable argument for choosing Berkeley (with yet unspecified financial aid) over Columbia+Butler?

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:16 pm

At Berkeley ASW last year, a lot of students had the Berkeley vs. NYU or Columbia problem. I think if you're more into business/corporate law, Columbia is a better option; if you have your heart set on public interest or public service, then Berkeley is more geared towards that. If neither of those things will sway your decision, then it really comes down to personal preference - east coast vs. west coast, etc.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby irishman86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm from California (too), but I'll trade my Boalt acceptance + in state for your Columbia acceptance at sticker. If I were you, I wouldn't even think twice.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Make Fat Joe proud and go with the East side and the money.

Image

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby gymboree » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:45 pm

Sure, there are plenty of reasons!

1. Environment, i.e., stress on a competitive nature, general 'vibe', buildings (great new one coming at Berkeley in for 2011).

2. Weather. Hands down Berkeley, obviously.

3. California > NY (if you disagree, your choice becomes evident)
... and San Francisco > NYC (again...)

4. If you have an interest in becoming a professor Boalt > Columbia (new stats abound)

5. Interdisciplinary opportunities put Berkeley >>> Columbia
(at Berkeley 35 of 36 grad programs in top 10, and most are in top 5 - best major public research university)

I'm sure there are huge arguments for Columbia -- don't want to get flamed, it's just my opinion!

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby irishman86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:51 pm

gymboree wrote:Sure, there are plenty of reasons!

1. Environment, i.e., stress on a competitive nature, general 'vibe', buildings (great new one coming at Berkeley in for 2011).

2. Weather. Hands down Berkeley, obviously.

3. California > NY (if you disagree, your choice becomes evident)
... and San Francisco > NYC (again...)

4. If you have an interest in becoming a professor Boalt > Columbia (new stats abound)

5. Interdisciplinary opportunities put Berkeley >>> Columbia
(at Berkeley 35 of 36 grad programs in top 10, and most are in top 5 - best major public research university)

I'm sure there are huge arguments for Columbia -- don't want to get flamed, it's just my opinion!


NYC >>> East Bay. Columbia has been consistently ranked in the top 4 law schools. Boalt was ranked 13 and 11 in the past 6 years. I'm sure when it was ranked 11, nobody would have asked this question. You still have curved grades at Berkeley (HH, H, P). Job prospects are better at Columbia.

I think the people who troll for Boalt are all from California, but Columbia is objectively a better school.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby Cupidity » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:56 pm

Berkeley over Yale.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:58 pm

Cupidity wrote:Berkeley over Yale.

And people are worried about the UVA trolls on TLS :wink:

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby irishman86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:04 am

First off, Boalt isn't even in SF, but I thought this post was amusing...

Have any of you actually lived in SF for an extended period of time?. It is a nice city, but it is small as fuck compared to NYC, London, Chicago, etc.

There are only 500k people in the City itself. The weather is perhaps overall better than NYC, but it is inconsistent and cold and foggy and definitely not even close to typical California weather. People come here expecting sun all the time, but that is hardly the case.

The nightlife is super lame. Everything is DEAD by 1:30 a.m. and you can hit up almost every bar/club in the City after living here for six months.

The transportation system is a mess. Muni is a joke compared to MTA. The girls here aren't even close to NYC standards and they aren't as slutty. There are so many nasty dike looking chicks here, nerdy dudes, and overly educated nerd man-children.

I'm not saying SF is hell on Earth. It is a very good city, but comparing it to NYC is like comparing Boston to London. It just sounds fucking stupid... NYC is a world class city. SF is not even fucking close and I say that as someone who has lived in both.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby gymboree » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:04 am

irishman86 wrote:
gymboree wrote:Sure, there are plenty of reasons!
I'm sure there are huge arguments for Columbia -- don't want to get flamed, it's just my opinion!


NYC >>> East Bay. Columbia has been consistently ranked in the top 4 law schools. Boalt was ranked 13 and 11 in the past 6 years. I'm sure when it was ranked 11, nobody would have asked this question. You still have curved grades at Berkeley (HH, H, P). Job prospects are better at Columbia.

I think the people who troll for Boalt are all from California, but Columbia is objectively a better school.


I gave a giant caveat to my list of reasons, even recognized that there are counter arguments aplenty. This entire topic should be seen from a subjective standpoint. It's a personal decision, after all.

However, I am not from California. Do I win on the technicality? :P

edit: for formatting
Last edited by gymboree on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby irishman86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 am

gymboree wrote:
irishman86 wrote:
gymboree wrote:Sure, there are plenty of reasons!
I'm sure there are huge arguments for Columbia -- don't want to get flamed, it's just my opinion!


NYC >>> East Bay. Columbia has been consistently ranked in the top 4 law schools. Boalt was ranked 13 and 11 in the past 6 years. I'm sure when it was ranked 11, nobody would have asked this question. You still have curved grades at Berkeley (HH, H, P). Job prospects are better at Columbia.

I think the people who troll for Boalt are all from California, but Columbia is objectively a better school.


I gave a giant caveat to my list of reasons, even recognized that there are counter arguments aplenty. This entire topic should[i][/i] be seen from a subjective standpoint. It's a personal decision, after all.

However, I am not from California. Do I win on the technicality? :P


Is Boalt the only top 14 you got into? (What are your numbers?) If yes, then there's no way you can win because you're still far too biased.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby gymboree » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:08 am

never said I wasn't biased! And, yes, Boalt is (so far) my only T14 - which you know already since you checked my LSN. So, YES, loving Boalt. :D

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby irishman86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 am

gymboree wrote:never said I wasn't biased! And, yes, Boalt is (so far) my only T14 - which you know already since you checked my LSN. So, YES, loving Boalt. :D


fair enough :)

WellNow
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby WellNow » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:11 am

irishman86 wrote:
gymboree wrote:Sure, there are plenty of reasons!

1. Environment, i.e., stress on a competitive nature, general 'vibe', buildings (great new one coming at Berkeley in for 2011).

2. Weather. Hands down Berkeley, obviously.

3. California > NY (if you disagree, your choice becomes evident)
... and San Francisco > NYC (again...)

4. If you have an interest in becoming a professor Boalt > Columbia (new stats abound)

5. Interdisciplinary opportunities put Berkeley >>> Columbia
(at Berkeley 35 of 36 grad programs in top 10, and most are in top 5 - best major public research university)

I'm sure there are huge arguments for Columbia -- don't want to get flamed, it's just my opinion!


NYC >>> East Bay. Columbia has been consistently ranked in the top 4 law schools. Boalt was ranked 13 and 11 in the past 6 years. I'm sure when it was ranked 11, nobody would have asked this question. You still have curved grades at Berkeley (HH, H, P). Job prospects are better at Columbia.

I think the people who troll for Boalt are all from California, but Columbia is objectively a better school.


I wouldn't say I troll from boalt, but I do think it takes more than its fair share of shit because its a public school. As a chicago guy, I chose California over new york. The california dream, though seriously tarnished over the past couple of years, is still alive in really cold places. Also, regarding boalt's ranking flux over the past ten years, a lot of that has had to do with money spent per student (which, as Brian Leiter and others have pretty convincingly shown) is the tail that wags the USNWR dog. Back around 2000 tuition was around 10 grand in state, so boalt gave out almost no money and essentially let its facilities rot. This has changed with the new dean, which probably helps explains boalt's rise back up the rankings. If you look back to the 60's when Prosser was dean, Boalt has consistently placed in the top ten in terms of academic reputation scores (obviously non-US news, which has only been around since the 90's) for the past 40 years, pretty much right where it is today in US news.

That said, if you want biglaw columbia is the way to go. Otherwise I think the choice comes down to debt and lifestyle (which could go either way depending on your circumstances).
Last edited by WellNow on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
spiffypyro
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby spiffypyro » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:12 am

Haha I am having this same dilemma, minus the Butler (that might make my decision easier!), and plus I'm from CA and have always loved Berkeley. Because Columbia will (presumably) be sticker and I do want to practice in CA, my choice will probably hinge on any financial aid/scholarships Cal offers me.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby Dignan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:35 am

gymboree wrote:
4. If you have an interest in becoming a professor Boalt > Columbia (new stats abound)

I disagree. New stats do not "abound"; we have one year's worth of placement in which Boalt had a good showing. Because there aren't that many new faculty hires a year, there's a lot of random noise from year to year. If you're just looking at one-year snapshots of placement in academia, it's easy for a school to be ranked 5th on year and then 15th the next. I think Brain Leiter's comprehensive chart from is more helpful:

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2009 ... hing.shtml

As you can see, Columbia outplaces Berkeley on both an absolute and a per capita basis. The difference isn't that great--I don't think it's a reason to pick Columbia over Berkeley--but it's not fair to say that Boalt is better than Columbia for academia. If anything, the evidence points in the other direction.

Edit: Here's another Leiter chart that looks at faculty hiring over a recent 5-year period:

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008 ... hing.shtml
Last edited by Dignan on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:40 am

Berkeley is my top choice. I still think Columbia is TCR unless you have several compelling personal factors.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:42 am

Columbia w/ Butler and it's not even close.

hth

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:45 am

kittenmittons wrote:Columbia w/ Butler and it's not even close.

hth


Columbia is a declining TTT. BoalTTT is a great institution, as evidenced by the high cost of attendance.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:45 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Is there any reasonable argument for choosing Berkeley (with yet unspecified financial aid) over Columbia+Butler?


Columbia gave YOU a butler and wouldn't even accept my ED application?!

What a joke!

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:46 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:Is there any reasonable argument for choosing Berkeley (with yet unspecified financial aid) over Columbia+Butler?


columbia gave YOU a butler and wouldn't even accept my ED application?!

What a joke!


tbf, he is superior to you in every quantifiable way.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:47 am

Kronk wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:Is there any reasonable argument for choosing Berkeley (with yet unspecified financial aid) over Columbia+Butler?


columbia gave YOU a butler and wouldn't even accept my ED application?!

What a joke!


tbf, he is superior to you in every quantifiable way.


I don't know about every quantifiable way bro

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:48 am

kittenmittons wrote:I don't know about every quantifiable way bro


I thought we found out Slickback had a small dick, bro?

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby fortissimo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:49 am

kittenmittons wrote:Columbia w/ Butler and it's not even close.

hth


bingo. Columbia was my #1 when I applied.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Berkeley vs. Columbia

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:20 am

The only reason to pick BoalTTT over Columbia w/ Butler is if you are like this dude (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/IndianDude/jd) and hate cold weather (which, being from SoCal, you probably do).

I suppose if you know for absolutely sure you want to do PI on the West Coast, then BoalTTT = Columbia and given the LRAP, the Butler becomes somewhat irrelevant.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests