Jobs that pay for law school*** Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bigmnstyle

Bronze

Jobs that pay for law school***

Post by bigmnstyle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Anybody know any jobs that will pay for law school tuition?? I have heard that certain financial companies will but not any specific names.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Re: Jobs that pay for law school***

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:49 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Anybody know any jobs that will pay for law school tuition?? I have heard that certain financial companies will but not any specific names.
Where did you hear this? I'd like to know.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:51 pm

I've not heard of any financial companies paying full-time ... you may consider a JD/PhD. So long as you are admitted to both, often times the tuition for the JD degree is waived and you'll have a stipend for 4-6 years.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Good luck trying to find a company that will foot a 40k/per year tuition bill.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:56 pm

You could look into the military, but i'm not sure which ones and under what circumstances they would pay for your tuition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:57 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I've not heard of any financial companies paying full-time ... you may consider a JD/PhD. So long as you are admitted to both, often times the tuition for the JD degree is waived and you'll have a stipend for 4-6 years.
Most JD/PhD programs that I've looked into don't fund your JD at all, but they'll do their normal remission/stipend for the PhD coursework.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:58 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I've not heard of any financial companies paying full-time ... you may consider a JD/PhD. So long as you are admitted to both, often times the tuition for the JD degree is waived and you'll have a stipend for 4-6 years.
Just as a caution, there can be strings attached. For example (Northwestern's JD-PhD program):
This funding will be contingent upon the student entering an academic position within four years of graduation from the program. It is the expectation that students receiving this combined degree will enter an academic position within four years of graduation from the program.
Northwestern allows a couple exceptions to the above requirement, but in general it's not like you can do a PhD to "pay for" your JD and then scamper off to biglaw debt-free.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:00 pm

I worked for a company that would pay for any class that was, or could be, related to your job. I worked in the law department, and one guy (of the 60 person dept) went to law school on the companies dime. He's completely married to the company and didn't get any sort of promotion after passing the bar.

In this particular case, it wasn't worth it.

I wanted to go to law school while I worked there but was transferred to rural WV.... and was "on call" all the time.

This was a huge company, and a great company to work for. When it comes to tuition reimbursement, there are usually a ton of strings attached... and you're expected to put work above school, which isn't ideal for most law students.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:24 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Anybody know any jobs that will pay for law school tuition?? I have heard that certain financial companies will but not any specific names.
Being a TA/GSI. My friend gets her entire tuition paid for + 2000/month stipend at Michigan. (I know, ridic.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:27 pm

fortissimo wrote:
Being a TA/GSI. My friend gets her entire tuition paid for + 2000/month stipend at Michigan. (I know, ridic.)
Who do you have to blow to get that?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:30 pm

fortissimo wrote:
Or even working at an administrative position at a university. I know my UG pays for their employees to take 2 classes per semester, for free. But that might mean you have to do law school PT.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:31 pm

cardnal124 wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
Who do you have to blow to get that?
the ugrad department's dean?

But seriously, it's only 20 hours/week too and that includes "grading papers."

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:33 pm

fortissimo wrote: the ugrad department's dean?

I'm an undergrad TA and I'm supposed to be 10 hours a week and I probably am at around 3-4 hours/week including grading

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:37 pm

cardnal124 wrote:

I'm an undergrad TA and I'm supposed to be 10 hours a week and I probably am at around 3-4 hours/week including grading
yeah...I never said my friend actually works 20 hours a week, just supposed to. :) It's pretty much the perfect job during LS.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
Just as a caution, there can be strings attached. For example (Northwestern's JD-PhD program):
This funding will be contingent upon the student entering an academic position within four years of graduation from the program. It is the expectation that students receiving this combined degree will enter an academic position within four years of graduation from the program.
Northwestern allows a couple exceptions to the above requirement, but in general it's not like you can do a PhD to "pay for" your JD and then scamper off to biglaw debt-free.
What if you tried but failed to land an academic position? Sounds very risky to me. :?

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:40 pm

fortissimo wrote:
cardnal124 wrote:

yeah...I never said my friend actually works 20 hours a week, just supposed to. :) It's pretty much the perfect job during LS.
Ya it's pretty sweet in UG too.. although about a third the stipend

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:48 pm

im_blue wrote:What if you tried but failed to land an academic position? Sounds very risky to me. :?
That's one of the exceptions.
Students who can demonstrate a good faith effort* to secure an academic position or experience a significant life event** that interrupts their academic job search will be excluded from this policy.

*A good faith effort is understood as a dedicated, serious effort by the student to find a tenure-line teaching position in a Law School and/or academic department/program. Students are expected to submit at least three applications per year for positions for four consecutive years until a position is secured. The job search should not be limited by geography.

**A significant life event may include but is not limited to the birth of child, death or illness of a family member or life partner, or a profound illness or health matter that incapacitates the student.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
im_blue wrote:What if you tried but failed to land an academic position? Sounds very risky to me. :?
Students who can demonstrate a good faith effort* to secure an academic position or experience a significant life event** that interrupts their academic job search will be excluded from this policy.

*A good faith effort is understood as a dedicated, serious effort by the student to find a tenure-line teaching position in a Law School and/or academic department/program. Students are expected to submit at least three applications per year for positions for four consecutive years until a position is secured. The job search should not be limited by geography.

**A significant life event may include but is not limited to the birth of child, death or illness of a family member or life partner, or a profound illness or health matter that incapacitates the student.
What about post-doctoral fellowships? I don't know about all disciplines, but for a lot it's the norm to do one or two, 2-year fellowships. Does that mean you need to be applying for faculty positions during your post-doc?

Hell, if it wasn't such an arduous task to find a law school and graduate school offering a PhD that has faculty doing research you are interested in, and that they both want you...I'd definitely go that route.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:

What about post-doctoral fellowships? I don't know about all disciplines, but for a lot it's the norm to do one or two, 2-year fellowships. Does that mean you need to be applying for faculty positions during your post-doc?

Hell, if it wasn't such an arduous task to find a law school and graduate school offering a PhD that has faculty doing research you are interested in, and that they both want you...I'd definitely go that route.
It says you're supposed to be applying to "tenure-line" positions. I assume you could do a fellowship in the first 1-2 years and then you'd have to set about applying to permanent jobs. Anyway, my original point was it's not a good idea for someone who really just wants to go to a firm.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:11 pm

Oh ya, of course it's not good for firm work.

It seems like a way to get into academia without having to be a 180/4.0 student plus the credentials to get into the PhD program so that you can afford life in academia.

It just seems that with most PhD's, 1-2 post-doc appointments are necessary to land a tenure-track position. I also wonder if it's just about landing the position and starting it, or if there is a "years in" requirement.

Anyhow, I doubt many people would be able to stand law school AND a doctoral program without a fair amount of intent behind it.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Aeroplane wrote:

Clearly then you should:

1. Go get your JD/PHD
2. Don't pay any money for said Degree
3. Have a child
4. ????
5. Profit

I would call it the "Sugar Baby"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:56 pm

cardnal124 wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
cardnal124 wrote:

Ya it's pretty sweet in UG too.. although about a third the stipend
I was an undergrad TA, no stipend and $7.50/hour. Not that sweet, but it was enjoyable besides the grading papers part.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:1. Go get your JD/PHD
2. Don't pay any money for said Degree
3. Have a child
4. ????
5. Profit

I would call it the "Sugar Baby"
:lol:

hopefullaw27