Emory/UIUC/W&L

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I pick?

Emory, 66k
45%
UIUC, 90k
27%
W&L, 102k
27%

Total votes: 33

maximus34998

Emory/UIUC/W&L

Postby maximus34998 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:37 pm

Help me make a decision! I currently have 66k to Emory, 90k to UIUC, and 102k to W&L. I know that the debate between these schools is largely regional, but that seems to be my issue. I would say that if I am ranking my choices for where I want to practice following LS, 1a/1b would be Atlanta and DC, and 2 would be Chicago. So yeah, the regional argument only helps a little. I'm from the Atlanta area and am not opposed to living here for the next three years, but there is definitely something appealing about leaving for a while as well. So, thoughts?

thickfreakness

Re: Emory/UIUC/W&L

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 pm

If Atlanta is your top choice right now and those are the only three schools you're considering, then I'd say Emory. The DC market is the toughest to break into in the entire country, and Chicago is going to be tough, as well. Emory's Atlanta placement is likely going to give you better odds than W&L in DC or UIUC in Chicago. UIUC may have better NLJ250/BigLaw placement numbers, but that's simply because the Chicago market has a lot more BigLaw type firms than Atlanta. Also, hailing from the Atlanta area could provide useful networking opportunities for employment.

belkin00

Postby belkin00 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Emory might give you the best mobility - place a decent amount in DC/NY. UIUC is all Chicago and from what I understand it took a particularly big hit at OCI this year. W&L is a very unique place and you should visit before considering it. If you want the southeast though, you would be one of the few Georgia people to pick Emory over UGA in-state.

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:43 pm

belkin00 wrote:Emory might give you the best mobility - place a decent amount in DC/NY. UIUC is all Chicago and from what I understand it took a particularly big hit at OCI this year. W&L is a very unique place and you should visit before considering it. If you want the southeast though, you would be one of the few Georgia people to pick Emory over UGA in-state.

Heh...hard to pick UGA in-state when they don't accept you. Athens is overrated anyway. (Yeah, a little bitter!)

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:44 pm

UIUC is the strongest school, but as you know this is totally regional. FWIW: I think Emory is pretty over-ranked especially given its 2009 employment stats.

maximus34998

Emory/UIUC/W&L/WUSTL

Postby maximus34998 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:39 pm

With 129k from WUSTL, does that change anyone's mind? Even with my target regions still mainly being Atlanta and DC? Thanks!

stratocophic

Re: Emory/UIUC/W&L/WUSTL

Postby stratocophic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:45 pm

maximus34998 wrote:With 129k from WUSTL, does that change anyone's mind? Even with my target regions still mainly being Atlanta and DC? Thanks!

Yup. Go to WUSTL. Do an externship/clinic thing at the Brookings Institution (WUSTL has a new partnership with them) for the purpose of DC networking and resume fodder, then take advantage of your newfound inroads to DC. WUSTL also gives you a path to Chicago if you decide you like it. Worst case, you fall back on St. Louis. It's the safest option both in terms of getting a job (because of St. Louis) and managing debt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”