Yale vs Chicago ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:58 pm

...
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Obvious.

dwoof
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby dwoof » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:02 pm

"Although applicants often describe being granted admission to YLS something akin to “magic” or “sheer luck,” Yale Law has been remarkably transparent about how it conducts its selection process. However, transparency only goes so far in quelling the anxiety of applicants; the process itself is admittedly full of subjective determinations and is a bit of a “black box.”

Yale’s process differs significantly from that of many other top schools, particularly in its commitment to have most admission decisions made by the faculty and its overt use of holistic numerical scoring. All applicants are first reviewed by Dean of Admissions, Asha Rangappa. From the full pool of applications, about 50-80 “presumptive admits” are given Dean Rangappa’s stamp of approval and are sent on for final review by the Faculty Admissions Committee chair (essentially a "free ride" to admission). The rest of the hopefuls are divided into two groups, with some 800-1,000 applications selected for faculty review (and the others set aside as likely rejections).

Applications selected for faculty review are read by three randomly chosen faculty members, who score each application on a scale from 2 to 4. Each of the three readers is “blind” to the assessment scores assigned by his or her peers, and faculty members are not given any specific instructions as to how to weigh specific aspects of an application – they are given free reign to consider whatever factors they think will build an interesting class of students. Each of the first two faculty readers receives approximately 50 applications, and it has been reported that faculty are given instructions to assign a 4 to the top quarter, 3 to the second quarter, and 2 to the bottom half. [If two faculty members give consecutive 2s, an applicant is rejected; the remaining files go on to a third member of the faculty, who scores 2-4 equally.] A cumulative score of 12 is guaranteed admission, and most who score an 11 are admitted as well. A number of current students report having had an awkward moment or two when a professor has matched their application to a “real” name and face that roams the hallways!

Due to the unique nature of Yale’s application review process, most applications are “under review” for longer than they might be at other schools. Even “presumptive admits” may hear back in 6-8 weeks at the earliest; some applications may not result in a final answer for many months. Yale is notorious for releasing many admissions decisions in mid-late April. However, it should be noted that applying earlier in the cycle does not provide any boost to an applicant’s chances of being admitted; while the school does give offers of admission on a rolling basis, it does not fill the class until after having read all applications submitted by February 15th."

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby calicocat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 pm

booboo wrote:Obvious.


And by that I obviously mean chicago
Last edited by calicocat on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loveistheway
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby loveistheway » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:I've heard some things about their admissions process that I'm not quite comfortable with. Yale is so sketchy and creepily secretive about their entire process, I really think she should take the money and run.


huh?

She got in, what's it matter about their admissions' PROCESS now?

User avatar
Joan Hollaway
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby Joan Hollaway » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:05 pm

loveistheway wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:I've heard some things about their admissions process that I'm not quite comfortable with. Yale is so sketchy and creepily secretive about their entire process, I really think she should take the money and run.


huh?

She got in, what's it matter about their admissions' PROCESS now?


people have morals and values, they dont want to attend an institution with sketchy admissions practices

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:05 pm

I'd expect a better troll attempt from you APNS... the new tar is a nice touch, but:

1) Your Post count gives it away
2) Edits make it even more clear something fishy is up
3) Doesn't have just enough plausibility to stir up some TLSers


Your grade is an O, for:

Image

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:07 pm

booboo wrote:Obvious.

Exactly the choice is obvious. Chicago. In 2008 Yale wasn't even a top 20 school in NLJ 250 placement.

Image

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Chicago. Yale isn't RIGORous enough with no grades.

hth

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:08 pm

I hate it when people like Nom Sawyer come on here and disparage legitimate questions.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:08 pm

loveistheway wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:I've heard some things about their admissions process that I'm not quite comfortable with. Yale is so sketchy and creepily secretive about their entire process, I really think she should take the money and run.


huh?

She got in, what's it matter about their admissions' PROCESS now?


well i've heard that yale employs some yield protecting practices that are questionable at best.

User avatar
PigNipple
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby PigNipple » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:I'd expect a better troll attempt from you APNS... the new tar is a nice touch, but:

1) Your Post count gives it away
2) Edits make it even more clear something fishy is up
3) Doesn't have just enough plausibility to stir up some TLSers


Your grade is an O, for:

Image


Uhh, what am I supposed to be seing in this picture?

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:11 pm

PigNipple wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:I'd expect a better troll attempt from you APNS... the new tar is a nice touch, but:

1) Your Post count gives it away
2) Edits make it even more clear something fishy is up
3) Doesn't have just enough plausibility to stir up some TLSers


Your grade is an O, for:

Image


Uhh, what am I supposed to be seing in this picture?


Yellow font.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby oneforship » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:12 pm

PigNipple wrote:Uhh, what am I supposed to be seing in this picture?


Ignore Nom Sawyer, he's a troll.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:12 pm

PigNipple wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:I'd expect a better troll attempt from you APNS... the new tar is a nice touch, but:

1) Your Post count gives it away
2) Edits make it even more clear something fishy is up
3) Doesn't have just enough plausibility to stir up some TLSers


Your grade is an O, for:

Image


Uhh, what am I supposed to be seing in this picture?


Waldo bro

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
booboo wrote:Obvious.

Exactly the choice is obvious. Chicago. In 2008 Yale wasn't even a top 20 school in NLJ 250 placement.

Image


What about clerkship placements and subsequent entry to biglaw IF DESIRED?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Yeah, what about that?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:12 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
booboo wrote:Obvious.

Exactly the choice is obvious. Chicago. In 2008 Yale wasn't even a top 20 school in NLJ 250 placement.

Image


What about clerkship placements and subsequent entry to biglaw IF DESIRED?


Prob sucks.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
booboo wrote:Obvious.

Exactly the choice is obvious. Chicago. In 2008 Yale wasn't even a top 20 school in NLJ 250 placement.

Image


What about clerkship placements and subsequent entry to biglaw IF DESIRED?


What ever you do, do NOT add in the 2008 clerkship data unless you want a 200 post war on whether or not doing that is dumb.

Edit: My fault. I initially thought this was the '09 list.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby im_blue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Yale is the no-brainer pick for academia, even if you got a full ride from Columbia or Chicago.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:34 pm

im_blue wrote:Yale is the no-brainer pick for academia, even if you got a full ride from Columbia or Chicago.


did you for serious post a serious response in this thread? i mean seriously....

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby calicocat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:39 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
im_blue wrote:Yale is the no-brainer pick for academia, even if you got a full ride from Columbia or Chicago.


did you for serious post a serious response in this thread? i mean seriously....

If I had a dollar for everytime you used some form of "serious" nom.....

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:42 pm

calicocat wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
im_blue wrote:Yale is the no-brainer pick for academia, even if you got a full ride from Columbia or Chicago.


did you for serious post a serious response in this thread? i mean seriously....

If I had a dollar for everytime you used some form of "serious" nom.....


i seriously switch to several seriouses solely when saying satire

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby fortissimo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Flame

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Yale vs Chicago ($)

Postby calicocat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:00 pm

fortissimo wrote:Flame

orly? so astute.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests