Case Western vs. Duquesne Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
KJ5490

New

Case Western vs. Duquesne

Post by KJ5490 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:54 pm

I have been accepted to a few schools but I have narrowed it down to Case Western or Duquesne in Pittsburgh. Duquesne is well thought of here, in Pittsburgh, but I'm afraid it won't offer me that much if I want to move away. I was leaning towards attending Duquesne because they offered me a major scholarship. Tuition will only cost me 10k a year at Duquesne. Case offered me a scholarship but it will still cost 28k a year.

I haven't visited Case yet but will hopefully do that soon. I haven't heard great things about Cleveland but I'd like to get out of PA for a while. I was also accepted to Charlotte Law in NC for 18k but I don't know if it is smart to attend such a new school. I was also accepted to Indiana University in Indianapolis but they didn't offer me any scholarship money.

I can't decide! Help!

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Case Western vs. Duquesne

Post by deadpanic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Where do you think you want to end up practicing?

What are the scholarship requirements for Duquesne?

KJ5490

New

Post by KJ5490 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:19 pm

I have no clue where I want to eventually practice. I've lived near Pittsburgh my entire life so I like the idea of going away for a while. But since I've always lived here there is a chance I'd want to return here later, I suppose.

Duquesne's tuition is about 30k per year. They offered me a 20k scholarship renewable each year as long as I rank within the top half of my class each year. And if I do very well (although I haven't found out how well that is) I could potentially get more money offered after the 1st or 2nd year.

I have contacted Case Western about the possibility of increasing my scholarship, but even if they do it won't ever be as cheap as Duq.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm

I think with that in mind, Duquesne might be the best choice. It has probably zero portability outside of Pittsburgh, but it is the cheapest option and you said you do want to eventually practice there. Everyone seems to want to get away for 3 years, it is completely understandable, but just realize, it is going to limit you to a region severely, so law school is really not the time for that.

Case is going to be more expensive, but you should also be able to get a job in Pittsburgh from Case Western as it has more decent mobility around the area.

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:45 pm

Being from Ohio and visiting friends at Case a few times, the Case campus itself is very nice. Good blend of traditional and modern appearance as far as buildings go and what seems to be good living conditions. The campus is like a secluded campus, able to keep to itself, while being close to downtown giving entertainment options etc. Additionally, I agree that Case is a more mobile degree when compared to Duquesne (though not nationally). Certainly though, cost comes into play. If Case does give more scholarship and you can get the yearly tuition down to 20K/yr compared to Duq's 10k, I'd go with Case. The added mobility and relative prestige seems to make up for 30k overall IMO

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”