ILLINOIS VS WUSTL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Re: ILLINOIS VS WUSTL

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:07 pm

jackson wrote:I wasn't trying to make an argument. Anyway, have fun at WashU. I hope you learn one day not to insult people for no good reason, and if you think that was a good reason to insult me then i guess you have a lot to learn.

I already said I should have called you an idiot. Sorry for that. But I'll rephrase: your post was idiotic. And there is no way I think a guy with 2,000+ posts is going to use his "girlfriend's" username and write a post that no TLS vet would ever write.

Anyways, truce. Good luck to you wherever you end up.

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:27 pm

No truce for me. Jackson is an idiot.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:34 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote: Champagne is in, well, Champagne.

...aign. Champagne is a region in France that produces a fizzy alcoholic drink by the same name. :D

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:53 pm

jackson wrote:I wasn't trying to make an argument. Anyway, have fun at WashU. I hope you learn one day not to insult people for no good reason, and if you think that was a good reason to insult me then i guess you have a lot to learn.

Lol, thanks dad. I love when people end with those comments... you know in their head they are saying "oh snap, FATALITY."

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:12 am

Yea no way he has a 2,000+ post username...his comments were SO noob (and I consider myself a noob still)...

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:21 am

Regionality wrote:Yea no way he has a 2,000+ post username...his comments were SO noob (and I consider myself a noob still)...

I'm pretty sure I know who it is. I told romo my guess and reasoning. Do you think I'm right romo?

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:25 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
Regionality wrote:Yea no way he has a 2,000+ post username...his comments were SO noob (and I consider myself a noob still)...

I'm pretty sure I know who it is. I told romo my guess and reasoning. Do you think I'm right romo?

There are only about 50 folks with between 2000 and 2500 posts...so that should narrow things down!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:20 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:

I don't wanna jump to conclusions... but I'd say its at least a 50% or more chance.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:06 pm

I see Romo for WashU, but no Derrick for Illinois. Is he dead?

Barolo

Postby Barolo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Can't count on Chicago these days. It's been hit hard and it's also saturated. I'd say that WUSTL gives you at least as good of a shot -- but that doesn't say much for either school. Chicago, Michigan, and Northwestern will all outperform these schools for the very limited number of jobs.

WUSTL has a decent home market. WUSTL has an increasingly national reputation. And WUSTL has a veritable shit-ton of money with which to build great facilities and spend lavishly on CSO.

Illinois is good -- even very good -- but I would not pick it over WUSTL unless it was significantly less expensive.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:07 pm

NayBoer wrote:I see Romo for WashU, but no Derrick for Illinois. Is he dead?

I actually think Illinois is the better option, if it is cheaper (which is likely the case). But yeah... how has DR not showed up yet?

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Sorry, been busy, whats the story here? Anything interesting or is this a generic WUSTL v. Illini thread?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:54 pm

DerrickRose wrote:

Sorry, been busy, whats the story here? Anything interesting or is this a generic WUSTL v. Illini thread?

Pretty generic. OP hasn't really answered our inquiries so it is hard to get much of an answer here. Although most people were saying WUSTL early on, the voices of reason (basically me :D ) chimed in and informed OP that they are peer schools and that a decision between the two basically just comes down to fit and money considerations.

Unless OP wants St. Louis with a passion, in which case WUSTL.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:06 pm

DerrickRose wrote:Anything interesting or is this a generic WUSTL v. Illini thread?

There's a mystery-poster on page 2.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Can I get a PM of the possible suspect too? :D

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:09 pm

I think the WUSTL vs. Illinois debate can best be summed up in a "Moneyball" sort of analysis.

Back when I started applying in 2008 (God, has it really been that long?) the LSN information I had indicated that WUSTL was throwing 90k+ at anyone with a 170's LSAT and a pulse. Having both, but not much more I was very, very interested.

However, that was the year that WUSTL turned off the Splitter Cash Hose, while Illinois on the other hand started getting pretty generous.

To be honest I wasn't thrilled with either choice at the time. WUSTL's private school atmosphere bummed me out (Its pretty and leafy and whatnot, but its also a bit sterile IMO) and I felt weird about staying down at Illinois when all of my friends were graduating and leaving.

But I knew I at least wanted the option of Chicago and that scared me off the prospect of things like my Miami full ride, etc.

But anyway, getting to my point, when I started applying I fully planned on going to WUSTL not because its a better school than Illinois or a better fit or whatever, but because the information I had indicated that it would be cheaper. Well, the market changed. Now it seems like everybody is getting more money from Illinois than WUSTL. Yet for some reason (My suspicion is that its equal parts private vs. public bias, US News rankings, and the logical fallacy of "if this one costs more it must be better") people seem to take it on faith that WUSTL is the better school.

Its not true. They are peers (along with ND) and should be treated as such. Its not like the gas station where if you pay the extra $.10 you get better gas. Its the same gas. Fill up with the cheapest one.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:10 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:Anything interesting or is this a generic WUSTL v. Illini thread?

There's a mystery-poster on page 2.

Hmm. Mysterious poster in a thread about Illinois, I'm nowhere to be found? I think it might be me.

Wait...

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:14 pm

DerrickRose wrote:I think the WUSTL vs. Illinois debate can best be summed up in a "Moneyball" sort of analysis.

Back when I started applying in 2008 (God, has it really been that long?) the LSN information I had indicated that WUSTL was throwing 90k+ at anyone with a 170's LSAT and a pulse. Having both, but not much more I was very, very interested.

However, that was the year that WUSTL turned off the Splitter Cash Hose, while Illinois on the other hand started getting pretty generous.

To be honest I wasn't thrilled with either choice at the time. WUSTL's private school atmosphere bummed me out (Its pretty and leafy and whatnot, but its also a bit sterile IMO) and I felt weird about staying down at Illinois when all of my friends were graduating and leaving.

But I knew I at least wanted the option of Chicago and that scared me off the prospect of things like my Miami full ride, etc.

But anyway, getting to my point, when I started applying I fully planned on going to WUSTL not because its a better school than Illinois or a better fit or whatever, but because the information I had indicated that it would be cheaper. Well, the market changed. Now it seems like everybody is getting more money from Illinois than WUSTL. Yet for some reason (My suspicion is that its equal parts private vs. public bias, US News rankings, and the logical fallacy of "if this one costs more it must be better") people seem to take it on faith that WUSTL is the better school.

Its not true. They are peers (along with ND) and should be treated as such. Its not like the gas station where if you pay the extra $.10 you get better gas. Its the same gas. Fill up with the cheapest one.

Anti-@Wustl
Pro-UUIC & ND trolling

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:Anti-@Wustl
Pro-UUIC & ND trolling

Care to elaborate?

The more you look at the differences between those three schools, the less you see.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Cheapest of UIUC, WUSTL or ND, unless you'd prefer to be in the midwest but not Chicago then its cheaper of ND and WUSTL.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:24 pm

DerrickRose wrote:Equal parts private vs. public bias, US News rankings, and the logical fallacy of "if this one costs more it must be better"

I agree with your whole post except this. I would say it's mostly (almost all) US News Ranking, then public v. private bias, and then cost (piggybacking on your assumption that there are people actually dumb enough to think that).

DerrickRose wrote:Hmm. Mysterious poster in a thread about Illinois, I'm nowhere to be found? I think it might be me.

Wait...

lol...DR before I lose all respect for you please confirm the sarcasm in this post.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:26 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:Equal parts private vs. public bias, US News rankings, and the logical fallacy of "if this one costs more it must be better"

I agree with your whole post except this. I would say it's mostly (almost all) US News Ranking, then public v. private bias, and then cost (piggybacking on your assumption that there are people actually dumb enough to think that).

I think there is more to the private school bias than you realize.

DerrickRose wrote:Hmm. Mysterious poster in a thread about Illinois, I'm nowhere to be found? I think it might be me.

Wait...

lol...DR before I lose all respect for you please confirm the sarcasm in this post.

Oh please, I'm too stupid to figure out how to make another account.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Cheapest of UIUC, WUSTL or ND, unless you'd prefer to be in the midwest but not Chicago then its cheaper of ND and WUSTL.

Wait wait wait. So putting more students in Chicago doesn't work for Illinois, but putting fewer in other Midwest markets as a direct consequence does work against them?

Sounds like a double standard to this reporter.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:32 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Cheapest of UIUC, WUSTL or ND, unless you'd prefer to be in the midwest but not Chicago then its cheaper of ND and WUSTL.

Wait wait wait. So putting more students in Chicago doesn't work for Illinois, but putting fewer in other Midwest markets as a direct consequence does work against them?

Well yea I should have mentioned that, it's why I would have gone to UIUC over WUSTL and ND. Even if it cost a bit more, but I really want Chicago.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:

Well yea I should have mentioned that, it's why I would have gone to UIUC over WUSTL and ND. Even if it cost a bit more, but I really want Chicago. Lucky for me, I'm T14 BITCHES!

FTFY

Oh by the way, I'm about to find out what happens when you are top 1/3 at one of these schools with no work experience. Come back in six months and I'll be the guy linking to JD Underground threads whenever anyone wants to go to a school below CCN.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”