ILLINOIS VS WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
itsmytime10

Bronze

Re: ILLINOIS VS WUSTL

Post by itsmytime10 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:11 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Old data. Class of 2011 won't more than 15% for each of those schools.
This is credited. Go peruse the employment forum if you think c/o 2009 numbers are going to hold up going forward. Using those numbers for a relative comparison in the absence of anything better is semi-worthwhile, but to expect those absolute numbers to remain for c/o 2011 would be crazy.

To answer OP's question, on the surface they seem like peer schools. This would seem to come down to what school is the best fit.

Thanks

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:01 am

itsmytime10 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
Old data. Class of 2011 won't more than 15% for each of those schools.

UIUC is better in Chicago, WUSTL everywhere else.
I don't know if op visited either of these schools but WUSTL is a damn sexy law school. Their law building is one of the best in the top 20, everyone there is super friendly, i've heard nothing but great things about career services, oh ya, and St. Louis is a halfway decent legal market that you could fall back on (provided you demonstrate interest in sticking around for more than a few years). WUSTL is really committed to extending its national reach- unlike Illinois where its Chicago or bust when it comes to biglaw. Also your QOL will be much better in St. Louis- I really enjoyed the area around the school and there is a ton of stuff to do in St. Louis. Champagne is in, well, Champagne.

If money isn't an issue I say wustl all the way

EDIT: And if OP wants chicago, wustl will certainly not shut you out of the windy city, they do place people there every year, however Chicago got slaughtered in the recession so Anywhere outside of Chicago, NW or Michigan (and HYS) will be tough to find work there. Just don't think that UIUC------>Chicago

Thanks. I plan on doing Patent Law and Illinois just seems to be a better school in this field. Plus the demand for Patent lawyers is still very high.
WUSTL spoke about shoring up their IP focus in recent years when I visited in the fall and IIRC, there's a student-led effort to make it one of the areas for which the school is recognized. The clinics mentioned earlier do seem really interesting, especially because of the clinical space they just finished. The building's awesome, but the clinical space is really sweet. I'll hopefully know more about it after visiting again for the ASD on Friday.

redginseng

New

Post by redginseng » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:08 am

letsdoit1982 wrote:
cardnal124 wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ Yes, and don't go to Illinois at all.
Why the big NO for Illinois?
He's an HYS-CCN elitist

Can someone explain what these people get out of going into threads that they have no interest in? Is it to stroke their ego or what? Technically, you have no room to talk shit unless you're going to Yale. It's funny how T1s look down on T3s, the top 20 look down on the rest of the top 50, the top 14 look down on top 20, and the top 10 looks down on school ranked 11-14.
It's easy to see why this happens on this board. See, many of these guys thought they were hot shit when they thought they were going to T14 and now they realize that their degree is worth TTT. Some ego boost is needed to justify 200K debt or passing full sholly at a lower school to get a degree that's worth about TTT.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:22 pm

I hate to revive dead threads, but I figured it might be better than starting a new one.

What do people have to say about this debate now that a few months have passed?

Is one better than the other? Why?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:25 pm

What is the cost of each?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:26 am

blurbz wrote:I hate to revive dead threads, but I figured it might be better than starting a new one.

What do people have to say about this debate now that a few months have passed?

Is one better than the other? Why?
At equal cost, I'd give the edge to Illinois for Chicago, and WUSTL for everywhere else.

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:38 am

cardnal124 wrote:Cardinals > Cubs

Therefore: WUSTL
It's not about the Cardinals and the Cubs. You just don't get it.

Nelly > R. Kelly

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:46 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ Reality has a well known HYCCCN bias (or at least a T-14 one).
subtle anti Berkeley trolling
See and I was going to say subtle pro-Berkeley trolling.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:19 pm

PLATONiC wrote:

Nelly > R. Kelly

I hope this is sarcasm but I'm going to say this just in case it's not...

Why is R. Kelly the Chicago rep? Nelly is basically the only big name from STL but Chicago has Common, Lupe Fiasco, and Kanye (among others), all of which undoubtedly pwn Nelly. Srsly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:58 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:

Nelly > R. Kelly

Why is R. Kelly the Chicago rep? Nelly is basically the only big name from STL but Chicago has Common, Lupe Fiasco, and Kanye (among others), all of which undoubtedly pwn Nelly. Srsly.
Come on common and Lupe over Nelly? What are you smoking? Maybe Kanye, although I will never look at him the same since he said "i'm uneducated and extremely stupid" on tv with mike myers, at least thats what I thought he said.

jackson

New

Post by jackson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Illinois all the way.....It feels like WashU just gamed the rankings a few years ago. Illinois has been top20-25 since the early 90s....massive alumni network in Chicago...Big Ten Sports...plus there is no truth to WashU being better than Illinois outside of Chicago.....You really think a firm will pick a washU student with the same credentials as an Illinois student because they think WashU is better..Hell NO.....

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:05 pm

It really depends on your goals and your desired market. They are similar enogh that I would take cost and personal preference into account more than anything else.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:06 pm

jackson wrote:Illinois all the way.....It feels like WashU just gamed the rankings a few years ago. Illinois has been top20-25 since the early 90s....massive alumni network in Chicago...Big Ten Sports...plus there is no truth to WashU being better than Illinois outside of Chicago.....You really think a firm will pick a washU student with the same credentials as an Illinois student because they think WashU is better..Hell NO.....
lol...Jackson's 1 other post ever indicates that he is on the waitlist at WUSTL.

HTH

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:08 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
jackson wrote:Illinois all the way.....It feels like WashU just gamed the rankings a few years ago. Illinois has been top20-25 since the early 90s....massive alumni network in Chicago...Big Ten Sports...plus there is no truth to WashU being better than Illinois outside of Chicago.....You really think a firm will pick a washU student with the same credentials as an Illinois student because they think WashU is better..Hell NO.....
lol...Jackson's 1 other post ever indicates that he is on the waitlist at WUSTL.

HTH
boom.

I love you internets

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:09 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:

HTH
Although I do think jackson is clearly an idiot who cannot write, and I do think that WUSTL is a better school with better portability, I don't think it is in a whole different league or anything like that. Because Illinois seems to be cheaper for the vast majority of applicants, I think Illinois is probably a better choice for most applicants as well.

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:17 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:

Nelly > R. Kelly

I'd like to throw Akon into the mix of STL reps. (He was born in STL, so it counts!)

And uh... Chingy I guess?

jackson

New

Post by jackson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

HTH
Although I do think jackson is clearly an idiot who cannot write, and I do think that WUSTL is a better school with better portability, I don't think it is in a whole different league or anything like that. Because Illinois seems to be cheaper for the vast majority of applicants, I think Illinois is probably a better choice for most applicants as well.
So i am an idiot and can't write because????

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jackson

New

Post by jackson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:30 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:

HTH
No i am not...I was admitted but i didn't get as much money as I wanted....

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:40 pm

jackson wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

HTH
Maybe idiot was a bit strong, but writing like that isn't going to win anybody over, especially in your second post ever. I think Illinois is a great school and is probably on just about equal footing with WUSTL. They are peers. But coming in here with your second ever post to enlighten the masses on why Illinois>>>WUSTL because of Big Ten sports and there being "no truth" to WUSTL being better outside of Chicago is pretty dumb.

And FWIW, I'm from Illinois and I'm an Illinois season ticket holder, so I have no beef with Illinois.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:44 pm

jackson wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

HTH
Because you use four question marks at the end of a sentence!!!!

jackson

New

Post by jackson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

HTH
I have over 2000 post here but I just happen to comment with my gf's account. There is no reason to be calling anyone dumb or an idiot for posting what they think. You are obviously going to WashU so i can see why you would be passionate about the topic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:54 pm

jackson wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

HTH
I have over 2000 post here but I just happen to comment with my gf's account. There is no reason to be calling anyone dumb or an idiot for posting what they think. You are obviously going to WashU so i can see why you would be passionate about the topic.
I am very passionate about my school, but I put that on the shelf when it comes advice time. I have voted against WUSTL more times than not in these "What should I choose?" polls.

If OP (or anyone else, for that matter) is getting more money to go to U of I and they have no preference on market or a strong Chicago preference, then I'd say take U of I over WUSTL all day long. But UIUC is not a better school than WUSTL. Again, they are peers, and I would say WUSTL is a slightly better school. And I called you an idiot because your arguments for why UIUC is better were absolutely retarded.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:58 pm

jackson wrote:I have over 2000 post here but I just happen to comment with my gf's account.
So who are you?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:59 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
jackson wrote:I have over 2000 post here but I just happen to comment with my gf's account.
So who are you?
+1.

jackson

New

Post by jackson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:02 pm

I wasn't trying to make an argument. Anyway, have fun at WashU. I hope you learn one day not to insult people for no good reason, and if you think that was a good reason to insult me then i guess you have a lot to learn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”