Duke$$ or NYU at sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke with $$ v.s. NYU at sticker

Duke half a ride
63%
NYU sticker price
37%

Total votes: 126

kurla88

Re: Duke$$ or NYU at sticker

Postby kurla88 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:39 am

TheWire wrote:
kurla88 wrote:Have you tried negotiating with NYU for a scholarship?

Do you think NYU would consider $$ from Duke as leverage for a scholarship?

Always worth a try. Probably won't match, but might give you something.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:56 pm

Bump; I have the same decision to make...$72 000 from Duke or Sticker (haven't tried negotiating yet though) at NYU. Ideally, I would like to be back in CA, but I wouldn't be opposed to taking a NYC firm job and then moving back later. Informed opinions are appreciated. I currently believe that the gap in program strength is too great to ultimately attend Duke; I think TLS doesn't give NYU a proper consideration, but I am interested in opinions nonetheless.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:40 pm

TheWire wrote:Bump; I have the same decision to make...$72 000 from Duke or Sticker (haven't tried negotiating yet though) at NYU. Ideally, I would like to be back in CA, but I wouldn't be opposed to taking a NYC firm job and then moving back later. Informed opinions are appreciated. I currently believe that the gap in program strength is too great to ultimately attend Duke; I think TLS doesn't give NYU a proper consideration, but I am interested in opinions nonetheless.

Similar. 54k from Duke.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:14 pm

TheWire wrote:Bump; I have the same decision to make...$72 000 from Duke or Sticker (haven't tried negotiating yet though) at NYU. Ideally, I would like to be back in CA, but I wouldn't be opposed to taking a NYC firm job and then moving back later. Informed opinions are appreciated. I currently believe that the gap in program strength is too great to ultimately attend Duke; I think TLS doesn't give NYU a proper consideration, but I am interested in opinions nonetheless.

Tough decision with $72k, but I'd pick NYU which is significantly stronger than Duke in CA.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:08 pm

im_blue wrote:

Tough decision with $72k, but I'd pick NYU which is significantly stronger than Duke in CA.

You are missing a citation here. Duke's 4th most common destination is California, behind New York, Washington D.C., and North Carolina (in that order). It is at the bottom of the page: http://www.law.duke.edu/career/resources/facts

NYU doesn't have handy placement statistics, but there is always the Leiter rankings to look at. Even though I don't necessarily agree with how they are calculated. http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2 ... of_na.html

Duke and NYU are neck and neck when it comes to national placement (and Duke is actually ranked the higher of the two). While NYU doesn't have any statistics about California specifically, I think it stands to reason that even if they are stronger than Duke there, the are not "significantly" stronger.

Seriously, what the hell TLS? Are we just going to let people spread misinformation and get away with it? "im_blue", I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just didn't take the time to look and see if you were right. So do your homework next time.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 am

Bosque wrote:
im_blue wrote:

You are missing a citation here. Duke's 4th most common destination is California, behind New York, Washington D.C., and North Carolina (in that order). It is at the bottom of the page: http://www.law.duke.edu/career/resources/facts

NYU doesn't have handy placement statistics, but there is always the Leiter rankings to look at. Even though I don't necessarily agree with how they are calculated. http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2 ... of_na.html

Duke and NYU are neck and neck when it comes to national placement (and Duke is actually ranked the higher of the two). While NYU doesn't have any statistics about California specifically, I think it stands to reason that even if they are stronger than Duke there, the are not "significantly" stronger.

Seriously, what the hell TLS? Are we just going to let people spread misinformation and get away with it? "im_blue", I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just didn't take the time to look and see if you were right. So do your homework next time.

I would hardly call looking up a simple comparison of percentage placement in various markets "doing your homework," since it gives little useful information. I've done an associate count of the top 20 or so Vault firms in CA for each T14, and divided that by the average number of graduates that each law school places in CA each year. For non-CA T14's, HYCCN place the strongest, followed by MVPD, then NG, then C. Duke does place very well in California, but NYU does measurably better (however, I will allow that "significantly stronger" was perhaps not warranted). It's debatable whether that advantage is worth $72k, but I would personally choose NYU.

I understand your frustrations that TLS tends to pick on Duke and advocate choosing MVPB based on USNWR, but I also believe that my opinion was a bit more informed than most.

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:26 pm

With the debt incurred from NYU you would have to work BigLaw. Duke's lower COL and half ride would take pressure off as far as NEEDING. If NYC BigLaw is the only thing that you want then NYU is your pick, if you want a less stressful law school experience Duke would probably be the way to go... Also... Visit.

NY88

Postby NY88 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Think I have decided on NYU at least over Duke.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:32 pm

im_blue wrote: I've done an associate count of the top 20 or so Vault firms in CA for each T14, and divided that by the average number of graduates that each law school places in CA each year.

Is it just me or does this not really prove much?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”