What to do, what to do...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alhearn
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:10 pm

What to do, what to do...

Postby alhearn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:48 pm

32 years old with an MBA from Loyola-Chicago and 8 years of work experience. 160 LSAT and 3.74 GPA.

So far, I am still waiting to hear from Northwestern (which is a very unlikely acceptance IMHO), but here are the schools that have accepted me along with the scholarships I have been offered:

U of Illinois - $10k/year scholarship
Loyola - $10k/year scholarship
DePaul - $20k/year scholarship
Michigan State – Full tuition scholarship
John Marshall – Full tuition scholarship + $10k/year living stipend

After law school, I will definitely work in Chicago but I'm leaning away from bigfirm and seriously thinking about litigation. I won national debates in high school, got my BA in persuasive communication and my MBA in marketing. Moot Court / Trial Advocacy teams would make a lot of sense for me.

The question is, given the strength of U of Illinois' ranking, does that outweigh the benefits of a full scholarship? $ is a huge issue, but I wasn't originally counting on getting any scholarships... loans don't scare me that much, provided that I get a decent job out of law school.

Any thoughts would be VERY appreciated.

Thank you!!

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: What to do, what to do...

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:52 pm

U of Illinois is a LOT better than any other school you have, 10K scholly coupled with in state tuition seems like your decision is easy. U of I by a LOT.

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: What to do, what to do...

Postby avacado111 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:02 pm

easy john marshall... why not graduate almost debt free?

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: What to do, what to do...

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:03 pm

avacado111 wrote:[strike]easy john marshall... why not graduate almost debt free?[/strike]


hth

User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: What to do, what to do...

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:U of Illinois is a LOT better than any other school you have, 10K scholly coupled with in state tuition seems like your decision is easy. U of I by a LOT.


+1

User avatar
PigNipple
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: What to do, what to do...

Postby PigNipple » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:07 pm

U of I

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: What to do, what to do...

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:U of Illinois is a LOT better than any other school you have, 10K scholly coupled with in state tuition seems like your decision is easy. U of I by a LOT.


+1


+2

alhearn
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: What to do, what to do...

Postby alhearn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Thank you all SO much for your feedback!!

What about the notion that in today's hiring environment, it would be more beneficial to spend my time during law school networking in Chicago, rather than spending the time in Champaign and hoping to successfully network long-distance.

Thoughts?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: What to do, what to do...

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 pm

alhearn wrote:Thank you all SO much for your feedback!!

What about the notion that in today's hiring environment, it would be more beneficial to spend my time during law school networking in Chicago, rather than spending the time in Champaign and hoping to successfully network long-distance.

Thoughts?


Networking in Chicago at a substantially inferior school means nothing compared to an Illinois JD.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: What to do, what to do...

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:55 pm

For God's sake, just go to UIUC. Considerably better than the other schools you got into.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: What to do, what to do...

Postby 270910 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Blindmelon wrote:For God's sake, just go to UIUC. Considerably better than the other schools you got into.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Hikikomorist and 2 guests