Emory vs. T14

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rawlsian
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby Rawlsian » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:59 pm

cvnrssm wrote:I wouldnt count on vandy with $$$ with a low 170 score and a 3.7.....i just got waitlisted today with a 177 and 3.49


Not true. Check LSN, 170 3.7 = about half tuition.

pollaclc
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby pollaclc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:08 pm

atl>nashvegas

sdv
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby sdv » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:11 pm

doinmybest wrote:
cvnrssm wrote:I wouldnt count on vandy with $$$ with a low 170 score and a 3.7.....i just got waitlisted today with a 177 and 3.49


Dude that's called a YP. Plus, you probably applied late.


a 3.49 with a high LSAT late in the cycle probably qualifies as a splitter at the top schools; 3.7 is very different from a 3.49!

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby doinmybest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:23 pm

sdv wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
cvnrssm wrote:I wouldnt count on vandy with $$$ with a low 170 score and a 3.7.....i just got waitlisted today with a 177 and 3.49


Dude that's called a YP. Plus, you probably applied late.


a 3.49 with a high LSAT late in the cycle probably qualifies as a splitter at the top schools; 3.7 is very different from a 3.49!

I dunno if he is a splitter, vandy would probably be more than happy to boost their LSAT median if they knew he'd come. This smells more like a YP.

User avatar
4815162342
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby 4815162342 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:29 pm


LOL either this poster goes to Emory or has no idea what the Atlanta area is like (probably not from there or the state of Georgia period). Anyone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to Atlanta knows that UGA and Emory are viewed as being the same. It's outside of Atlanta where Emory law does better. In addition, people should really stop using the nlj250 for determining firm placement outside of areas like NYC, Chicago and DC. There are probably less than 10 firms in Atlanta that are even on the nlj250, yet there are much more than that they pay 125K plus in Atlanta (really the highest paying firms in Atlanta have less than 50 lawyers in them each).


I'll have to concur with the UGA=Emory in Atlanta sentiment. I've talked to a several lawyers here in Atlanta who encouraged me consider UGA over Emory. They said that the tremendous cost difference between the two (considering UGA in-state) made UGA a ridiculously better buy. A couple the people who said this were actually Emory grads. I had one person say that they would hire a UGA grad over an Emory one (though I'm not sure of the reason for this). I also had a local lawyer say that if she were going to school now to work in the Atlanta market, she'd got to GA State over Emory, but I think this had to do with value more than anything.

Through the grapevine I've also heard that a significant portion (around 50%) of Emory 3Ls are without a job so far. But I give only anecdotal evidence, FWIW.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby rando » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:13 pm

I should preface this post by saying I am a 2L at Emory. I will try to give an unbiased account of job prospects here vs. UGA vs. Vandy.
At Emory (anecdotally), maybe the top 20% of the class has paying jobs. Could be top 15%. I am in top 3-5% and had no trouble at all finding a job and had 10+ callbacks from Emory OCI. There are also a good handful of people who got BigLaw in NY at V20 firms. DC is NONEXISTENT. CA is a small smattering.
I know several people at UGA in the top quarter and have no paying summer prospects. I also know several partners and 5+ yr associates in Atlanta and they agree that Emory and UGA are close to interchangeable, probably depending on the firm's alumni base. That being said, all else being equal, if you had an Emory and UGA student, most would opt for the Emory student. But given things are rarely equal, I am not sure how far this will get you.
Vandy does place better than both. Hands down. But that being said, so does Duke and UVA. And so would Harvard or Columbia if they chose to come South.

I made the decision to come to Emory because they offered me an enormous amount of money. UGA actually would have been much more expensive. And Vandy offered me 0$$ and I was unwilling to pay sticker. I also vastly underperformed on my LSAT and didn't apply to law school for 2 years after that, thinking I was going to bag the whole law school idea and never retook the LSAT.

As far as grades go. Everyone I know at any law school in the country that is ranked below the top quarter says grades are a crapshoot. Everyone above says differently. It is hard to argue that grades are totally random when the same people continue to get all the good grades. I keep getting A's, yet I come out of every test thinking it was a disaster.
Whatever you do, don't come to school thinking that you are going to be in the top 10%. That is a terrible mistake. I know some very intelligent people who are underachievers on law school exams. Don't put an enormous amount of debt on a biased opinion of yourself. Law School and UG are not alike at all. Do not use one as a predictor of the other.

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby pearl_earrings » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:59 pm

rando wrote:I should preface this post by saying I am a 2L at Emory. I will try to give an unbiased account of job prospects here vs. UGA vs. Vandy.
At Emory (anecdotally), maybe the top 20% of the class has paying jobs. Could be top 15%. I am in top 3-5% and had no trouble at all finding a job and had 10+ callbacks from Emory OCI. There are also a good handful of people who got BigLaw in NY at V20 firms. DC is NONEXISTENT. CA is a small smattering.
I know several people at UGA in the top quarter and have no paying summer prospects. I also know several partners and 5+ yr associates in Atlanta and they agree that Emory and UGA are close to interchangeable, probably depending on the firm's alumni base. That being said, all else being equal, if you had an Emory and UGA student, most would opt for the Emory student. But given things are rarely equal, I am not sure how far this will get you.
Vandy does place better than both. Hands down. But that being said, so does Duke and UVA. And so would Harvard or Columbia if they chose to come South.

I made the decision to come to Emory because they offered me an enormous amount of money. UGA actually would have been much more expensive. And Vandy offered me 0$$ and I was unwilling to pay sticker. I also vastly underperformed on my LSAT and didn't apply to law school for 2 years after that, thinking I was going to bag the whole law school idea and never retook the LSAT.

So if Vanderbilt offered me more $$ than Emory, in your opinion I should almost definitely choose Vanderbilt?? (notwithstanding personal geographical preferences, which I haven't established yet)

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Strangely enough, rando, I had an Emory 1L and a 3L both tell me today to go to Vanderbilt. I haven't talked to anyone who has told me otherwise.

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby pearl_earrings » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:39 am

rad law wrote:Strangely enough, rando, I had an Emory 1L and a 3L both tell me today to go to Vanderbilt. I haven't talked to anyone who has told me otherwise.

Thank you... I'm hoping to visit both in the near future because I want to get a feel for Atlanta vs. Nashville... Although I obviously applied to Vandy, I didn't expect it to become a front-runner. But with Emory's strange higher-if-near-median scholarships, Vanderbilt is offering me more $$.

User avatar
atlantalaw
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 am

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby atlantalaw » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:58 am

rando wrote:I should preface this post by saying I am a 2L at Emory. I will try to give an unbiased account of job prospects here vs. UGA vs. Vandy.
At Emory (anecdotally), maybe the top 20% of the class has paying jobs. Could be top 15%. I am in top 3-5% and had no trouble at all finding a job and had 10+ callbacks from Emory OCI. There are also a good handful of people who got BigLaw in NY at V20 firms. DC is NONEXISTENT. CA is a small smattering.
I know several people at UGA in the top quarter and have no paying summer prospects. I also know several partners and 5+ yr associates in Atlanta and they agree that Emory and UGA are close to interchangeable, probably depending on the firm's alumni base. That being said, all else being equal, if you had an Emory and UGA student, most would opt for the Emory student. But given things are rarely equal, I am not sure how far this will get you.
Vandy does place better than both. Hands down. But that being said, so does Duke and UVA. And so would Harvard or Columbia if they chose to come South.

I made the decision to come to Emory because they offered me an enormous amount of money. UGA actually would have been much more expensive. And Vandy offered me 0$$ and I was unwilling to pay sticker. I also vastly underperformed on my LSAT and didn't apply to law school for 2 years after that, thinking I was going to bag the whole law school idea and never retook the LSAT.

As far as grades go. Everyone I know at any law school in the country that is ranked below the top quarter says grades are a crapshoot. Everyone above says differently. It is hard to argue that grades are totally random when the same people continue to get all the good grades. I keep getting A's, yet I come out of every test thinking it was a disaster.
Whatever you do, don't come to school thinking that you are going to be in the top 10%. That is a terrible mistake. I know some very intelligent people who are underachievers on law school exams. Don't put an enormous amount of debt on a biased opinion of yourself. Law School and UG are not alike at all. Do not use one as a predictor of the other.


as a law student in the atlanta area, +1 to everything. rando has it right.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:22 am

pearl_earrings wrote:
rad law wrote:Strangely enough, rando, I had an Emory 1L and a 3L both tell me today to go to Vanderbilt. I haven't talked to anyone who has told me otherwise.

Thank you... I'm hoping to visit both in the near future because I want to get a feel for Atlanta vs. Nashville... Although I obviously applied to Vandy, I didn't expect it to become a front-runner. But with Emory's strange higher-if-near-median scholarships, Vanderbilt is offering me more $$.


I'm in a similar situation. Vanderbilt wasn't my front runner either; I applied almost as an afterthought. But then everything they sent me really impressed me (especially the packet showing where their grads go), plus they gave me a bunch of money to boot. I haven't gotten Emory money yet (applied for Woodruff), but with Emory's weird policies, I'm betting it's gonna be less than Vandy's.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby rando » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:47 am

pearl_earrings wrote:So if Vanderbilt offered me more $$ than Emory, in your opinion I should almost definitely choose Vanderbilt?? (notwithstanding personal geographical preferences, which I haven't established yet)


Yes. Notwithstanding personal geographical preferences. Though, as mentioned, Vandy will do you better anyway in the long haul.
Last edited by rando on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory vs. T14

Postby rando » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:50 am

rad law wrote:Strangely enough, rando, I had an Emory 1L and a 3L both tell me today to go to Vanderbilt. I haven't talked to anyone who has told me otherwise.


Vanderbilt over Emory isn't really a difficult question in terms of job prospects alone. That being said, I don't know much about Vanderbilt other than numbers and what my peers and I have experienced at Emory OCI. There is a lot to be said for Emory in many regards, but ITE I think following the scholarship $ and job prospects are the most important factors in your decision to attend a law school.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests