URM 3.6 158 SMU Hopeful Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sunshinerainbow

New

URM 3.6 158 SMU Hopeful

Post by sunshinerainbow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Hey Guys!

Im a African American female who wants to go to SMU so bad. I know that my chances are good but i wanted to get feedback and what you guys think my chances are of getting a full or near full ride. I am willing to give up a few t-30's. I'm also taking the June 2010 LSAT to improve my score so i can negotiate more scholly.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by sunshinerainbow on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: URM 3.6 158 SMU Hopeful

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:24 pm

sunshinerainbow wrote:Hey Guys!

Im a African American female who wants to go to SMU so bad. I know that my chances are good but i wanted to get feedback and what you guys think my chances are of getting a full or near full ride. I am willing to give up a few t-14's and t-20's. I'm also taking the June 2010 LSAT to improve my score so i can negotiate more scholly.

Thanks in advance!
Send them a tailored letter.

sunshinerainbow

New

Post by sunshinerainbow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks, i sent one back in January.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Get ready to pay some BIG bucks for SMU. I got waitlisted there but I likely won't go because of the cost. Unreal for a school of its rank to cost that much.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:49 pm

with your stats you'll be in at better ranked schools, probably with money. Groundkontrol got columbia with the same stats.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Columbia with a 3.6 and 158? SMU median LSAT is 164 and GPA 3.76.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:57 pm

Youll get into SMU, probably with money

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:57 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Columbia with a 3.6 and 158? SMU median LSAT is 164 and GPA 3.76.
Your forgetting about the AA female part.

OP i would say your chances of getting a full ride are pretty good if you applied early.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Does being a black female really matter that much?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sunshinerainbow

New

Post by sunshinerainbow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:02 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Get ready to pay some BIG bucks for SMU. I got waitlisted there but I likely won't go because of the cost. Unreal for a school of its rank to cost that much.

I know right, thats my only problem with them, they cost so much and are a lil stingy wid money. The only way i can justify going there over higher ranked schools is if they give me a full ride. My parents wont pay or help with loans if i go there over a t-14 and t-20s so i have to have a full scholly to go. I'm so obssess with them that i'd give up U Texas :cry:

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Does being a black female really matter that much?
it matters a bit

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:09 pm

sunshinerainbow wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Get ready to pay some BIG bucks for SMU. I got waitlisted there but I likely won't go because of the cost. Unreal for a school of its rank to cost that much.

I know right, thats my only problem with them, they cost so much and are a lil stingy wid money. The only way i can justify going there over higher ranked schools is if they give me a full ride. My parents wont pay or help with loans if i go there over a t-14 and t-20s so i have to have a full scholly to go. I'm so obssess with them that i'd give up U Texas :cry:
You were accepted at UT? If you are in-state, UT is a great value.

sunshinerainbow

New

Post by sunshinerainbow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Thirteen wrote:
sunshinerainbow wrote:

You were accepted at UT? If you are in-state, UT is a great value.

In out of state and i just dont think i fit in at UT. I visited and just felt a bit out of place. I just wanna go somewhere were i'll feel comfortable, i dont wanna be miserable for 3 years. I love SMU, i just feel like its the right place for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:22 pm

You would be nuts to go to SMU over UT-Austin. That school owns the state and much of the region. Even paying out of state for three years at UT-Austin is better than SMU at sticker. Its your life but I'd be sure about how "comfortable" you are not just in the next 3 years but the first 5 years out of law school with a SMU vs UT degree.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Does being a black female really matter that much?
it matters a bit
Hmm maybe I should get a sex change operation...

sunshinerainbow

New

Post by sunshinerainbow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:36 pm

darknightbegins wrote:You would be nuts to go to SMU over UT-Austin. That school owns the state and much of the region. Even paying out of state for three years at UT-Austin is better than SMU at sticker. Its your life but I'd be sure about how "comfortable" you are not just in the next 3 years but the first 5 years out of law school with a SMU vs UT degree.
I know I know :cry: but i just want to feel like i belong, i hate feeling out of place. In udergrad i was so out of place at school and it drove me nuts,to the point where i hated going to even the most exciting class. I was practically invisible. I vowed i would never let that happen again,plus i want to get involve in various clubs and competitions to spruce up my resume when i graduate. Doesnt SMU doninate the Dallas market? seeing that thats where i wanna work it should be ok right?
But in the event that SMU doesnt come through with the full ride,i'll be at UT i think.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:45 pm

SMU does dominate Dallas market but UT-Austin is the big boy in the state and really the big boy in the region. If feeling like you belong is that important than I guess SMU might be a better deal for you. Man I know I'd have a hard time saying no to UT-Austin.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:22 am

Speaking on my own personal agenda, you should definitly go to SMU!!!!! (More room for me at UT).

burtonrideclub

Bronze

Post by burtonrideclub » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:31 am

colemf wrote:Speaking on my own personal agenda, you should definitly go to SMU!!!!! (More room for me at UT).
I think you could get a great scholarship with those numbers. If you truly are set on working in Dallas then SMU is a great option. However, if you aren't you should go with UT. That being said if you visited the campus and are really set against it then you have to make the best choice for you. I went to UT undergrad and loved it, and would kill to get into UT Law. To each their own.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”