NYU/Berk/Mich/Chi/Help!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
roxj

NYU/Berk/Mich/Chi/Help!

Postby roxj » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:19 am

I need opinions please! These are the schools I'm considering:

-NYU (got Dean's scholarship invitation e-mail, no money awarded yet)
-Chi
-Berk
-Mich (10k/yr)
-BU (30k/yr) and UMinn (30k/yr)

Nota Benes:

-I don't know where exactly I want to work, but it will be either the midwest, northwest, Boston, or DC (ie NOT NYC or Cali). I could also see myself working in Europe
- I'm interested in several different types of law (international, social policy), but I don't know what I'll pursue so basically I need to keep my options open
- I don't want to live in NYC long term, but I like cities and would have zero complaints living there for 3 years
- I do not like California, but I love the idea of having no grades
-LRAP is important to me, because I could definitely see myself working in PI

Right now, I'm bouncing back and forth between NYU and Mich. I love NYUs clinical programs, international opportunities, LRAP, etc. But a lot of grads stay in NY, is that self-selection? Can I go to the Midwest or Northwest easily? As for Mich, Dean Zearfross's helpfulness alone makes me want to go there! Additionally, I love the COL, I'm used to being on a large, traditional ugrad campus, the students seem down-to-earth, they don't rank students until post-grad, and the placement is great.

Opinions?

Edit: And I know I'm super lucky to be in this position. No snobbery/arrogance intended!
Last edited by roxj on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

lt0826

Re: NYU/Berk/Mich/Chi/Help!

Postby lt0826 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:38 am

No advice, but I'd love to be in your position. No matter what you choose, you won't be wrong really.

NYU's LRAP definitely has a reputation for awesomeness.

Good luck whichever you choose.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 am

Oh, oh, oh, I have an opinion! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528

(Jk... sort of.)

sarcasmpolice

Postby sarcasmpolice » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:45 am

Sounds like you want to attend Michigan.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:47 am

Wait until you've got all the money on the table. NYU'll give you their Dean's offer, then you can shop that around at Chicago and Berkeley (and possibly increase your scholarship at Michigan?).

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:54 am

Go with NYU$$$ or Chicago. Chicago is well respected everywhere and does well with clekrships/academia and biglaw. However it probably has the ugliest law school and most depressing campus feel, but its a great school anyway.

terp200

Postby terp200 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:03 am

I agree that it kinda sounds like you want to go to Michigan. In NO way can you go wrong with Michigan, great law school with great programs. Sure it doesnt have the same lay prestige as some of the other schools, but according to their career services map they are good at placement in just about all big markets, so as long as you work hard (which you obviously are accustomed to with these choices) you will get a job where you want. As stated, wait until you hear from NYU and see if you can snag a little more money from Michigan- less expensive school, you're getting money, much lower COL, aka better chance you will graduate with much less debt which is nice if youre not the NYC type. Michigan also has more of the college campus feel that you said you enjoy and are used to.

I have thought a lot about this and it sounds like we have a lot of similarities and at the end of the day if you dont think you want to work in NYC, going to NYU may not be the best idea because of the high COL, high tuition, etc. They have amazing placement everywhere, but I really think that won't be an issue between NYU and Mich.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 am

For the areas you want (no NYC or CA), your best choices are Chicago or Michigan $. Depends which school you feel more comfortable with, and how much $30k matters to you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”