Average v. Median Salary

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kobe_Teeth

Average v. Median Salary

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:19 am

Which one matters more?

I feel like average skews and median is more accurate. Is this correct?

sissyclark

Re: Average v. Median Salary

Postby sissyclark » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:21 am

I would think it would be the other way around.

cardnal124

Postby cardnal124 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:22 am

Mean salary skews data if there are a significant number of outliers, i.e. a lot of salaries at 160k or 40k.

Median gives a better feel for the middle salary people are actually making, and is not skewed by outliers, so is probably a better measure.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:22 am

I think median is a better measure, as long as reported salary information is absolutely accurate.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:27 am

Halibut6 wrote:I think median is a better measure, as long as reported salary information is absolutely accurate.

School had 72% report. I'd say that's pretty good.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28 am

The median is likely what you can expect coming out from a law school. You are right that an average can skew more since, by definition, it is a combination of all the salaries students report then divided by the number reported. The median is a single score and is less likely to skew. People who graduate from law school tend to have a vast range of salaries they pull down, from people who can't even get a job and are waiting tables to those doing public interest work to the BigLaw job. Look at the median.

Also, check how much of the class is reporting a salary. Some schools are up in the 90+ percent. If it is any lower than that than even your median score could be skewed. Salary data is self-reported and those who have a bad starting salary are less likely to report it. So if I look at a school that has a median starting salary of 80K but only 70 percent is reporting and look at a school that has a median starting salary of 60K but 95 percent is reporting I am likely to trust I'll be pulling down 60K at the second law school. At the first school I am more inclined to believe I'll be making quite a bit less than 70K coming out.

Elementary statistics my dear Watson! Your undergrad never taught you median vs avg?
Last edited by darknightbegins on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:30 am

cardnal124 wrote:Mean salary skews data if there are a significant number of outliers, i.e. a lot of salaries at 160k or 40k.

Median gives a better feel for the middle salary people are actually making, and is not skewed by outliers, so is probably a better measure.

Mostly right. The Median can still be skewed if you have small percent reporting starting salary. Anything below 90 or 85 percent is what I consider a "small percent".

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:37 am

darknightbegins wrote:The median is likely what you can expect coming out from a law school. You are right that an average can skew more since, by definition, it is a combination of all the salaries students report then divided by the number reported. The median is a single score and is less likely to skew. People who graduate from law school tend to have a vast range of salaries they pull down, from people who can't even get a job and are waiting tables to those doing public interest work to the BigLaw job. Look at the median.

Also, check how much of the class is reporting a salary. Some schools are up in the 90+ percent. If it is any lower than that than even your median score could be skewed. Salary data is self-reported and those who have a bad starting salary are less likely to report it. So if I look at a school that has a median starting salary of 80K but only 70 percent is reporting and look at a school that has a median starting salary of 60K but 95 percent is reporting I am likely to trust I'll be pulling down 60K at the second law school. At the first school I am more inclined to believe I'll be making quite a bit less than 70K coming out.

Elementary statistics my dear Watson! Your undergrad never taught you median vs avg?

I have always questioned the bolded. If I had a horrible salary, I think I would make extra sure to report it due to bitterness towards my school. Maybe that's just me though; it's absolutely true that a median salary with a low percentage of grads reporting should not be trusted too much because you have absolutely idea what the non-reporting grads are making/doing.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:39 am

darknightbegins wrote:
cardnal124 wrote:Mean salary skews data if there are a significant number of outliers, i.e. a lot of salaries at 160k or 40k.

Mostly right. The Median can still be skewed if you have small percent reporting starting salary. Anything below 90 or 85 percent is what I consider a "small percent".

Have you seen the US News salary data? 99% of schools have less than 80% reporting. Some have less than 40%.[

quote="Rowinguy2009"]
I have always questioned the bolded. If I had a horrible salary, I think I would make extra sure to report it due to bitterness towards my school. Maybe that's just me though; it's absolutely true that a median salary with a low percentage of grads reporting should not be trusted too much because you have absolutely idea what the non-reporting grads are making/doing.[/quote]

To be complete honest with you, I think schools lie about it (I have no evidence, just a feeling).

If you report your data, and the schools 25% salary is relatively low, you will assume your data was counted. No single student is going to go around contacting all of his/her classmates 9 months after graduation to ensure that the school isn't lying.

cardnal124

Postby cardnal124 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 am

darknightbegins wrote:

But in that case, the mean wouldn't be good either, so median could still be the better measure, although neither are probably accurate.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:44 am

25th - 75th is the best measure....too bad USNWR only does it for private law firms (which only makes up 50-60% of most classes)

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:52 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:I have always questioned the bolded. If I had a horrible salary, I think I would make extra sure to report it due to bitterness towards my school. Maybe that's just me though; it's absolutely true that a median salary with a low percentage of grads reporting should not be trusted too much because you have absolutely idea what the non-reporting grads are making/doing.

+1

Last year I got something in the mail twice to report my employment to my UG school and I didn't do it. Just through shear laziness.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:45 am

cardnal124 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:

But in that case, the mean wouldn't be good either, so median could still be the better measure, although neither are probably accurate.

I wouldn't argue that the mean would not be skewed just that the median would also be skewed. Overall if you don't have at least 90 percent of the class reporting I would be very suspicious of the starting salary for the school.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:53 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:
I have always questioned the bolded. If I had a horrible salary, I think I would make extra sure to report it due to bitterness towards my school. Maybe that's just me though; it's absolutely true that a median salary with a low percentage of grads reporting should not be trusted too much because you have absolutely idea what the non-reporting grads are making/doing.

I don't.

I was unemployed, and consequently never got a questionnaire from my undergrad.

To this day they have no shyness about asking me for money, but never request my status (although I am since employed).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”