BC v. ND v. GW v. UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Boston College
11%
Notre Dame (20k/yr.)
11%
George Washington (30k/yr. + 1st yr. housing)
11%
University of Virginia
68%

Total votes: 37

Lauren2255

BC v. ND v. GW v. UVA

Postby Lauren2255 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Hey guys! I would really appreciate any advice on where I should attend.

A little about me:

I'm from the Northeast so that is why BC is still on there, plus I have been going to Catholic school all my life and really like the atmosphere and community prevalent at Catholic schools.

Notre Dame is still up there because of the whole Catholic aspect, but also because it has been my dream school for as long as I can remember. I also got a good amount of scholarship aid, and figure it will be relatively cheap to live in South Bend.

GW is on there because of the money, but also because I love D.C. and can definitely see myself living there when I graduate.

Before I got into UVA, I was going to go where I got the most money, but I think it's going to be hard to turn down a T14.

I don't have any debt from undergrad, but I won't be getting any help for law school from my parents. In addition, I think I ultimately want to go into prosecution, which doesn't pay anything BUT wouldn't mind working at a large firm for some time (5 yrs) after law school in order to pay off my loans - think I would actually enjoy it.

So, thanks in advance for your advice and I can't wait to hear your opinions!

tram988

Re: BC v. ND v. GW v. UVA

Postby tram988 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Lauren2255 wrote:Hey guys! I would really appreciate any advice on where I should attend.

A little about me:

I'm from the Northeast so that is why BC is still on there, plus I have been going to Catholic school all my life and really like the atmosphere and community prevalent at Catholic schools.

Notre Dame is still up there because of the whole Catholic aspect, but also because it has been my dream school for as long as I can remember. I also got a good amount of scholarship aid, and figure it will be relatively cheap to live in South Bend.

GW is on there because of the money, but also because I love D.C. and can definitely see myself living there when I graduate.

Before I got into UVA, I was going to go where I got the most money, but I think it's going to be hard to turn down a T14.

I don't have any debt from undergrad, but I won't be getting any help for law school from my parents. In addition, I think I ultimately want to go into prosecution, which doesn't pay anything BUT wouldn't mind working at a large firm for some time (5 yrs) after law school in order to pay off my loans - think I would actually enjoy it.

So, thanks in advance for your advice and I can't wait to hear your opinions!

As much love as I have for BC I think you'd be foolish to pass up UVA.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:46 pm

if money is a concern GW....if not UVA easily

td6624

Postby td6624 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:47 pm

Knee jerk answer is UVA, for obvious reasons I suppose.

I think the factor you need to think about that you didn't talk too much about in your post is where you'd like to work after graduation. If you see yourself in midwest, ND would be a fine choice (even though I'm biased against it... keep in mind that once you step off of the campus there ain't a whole lot going on). Can't go wrong with the GW scholarship, but the opportunities at UVA might outweigh the money there, depending on your career aspirations.

Basically I don't really know. But I'd go ahead and take BC off the table unless you really want to stay in Boston.

Lauren2255

Postby Lauren2255 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Wow, that was quick. Thanks so much already. I actually see myself working in the Northeast after graduation because I want to be close to my family. I could see myself in D.C. for a little while, but ultimately I want to end up in the Northeast, preferably New England.

What do you guys think of ND's alumni network throughout the country? I was sort of thinking I could get a job in DC or Boston/New York if I graduated high enough in my class. Thoughts?

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Lauren2255 wrote:Wow, that was quick. Thanks so much already. I actually see myself working in the Northeast after graduation because I want to be close to my family. I could see myself in D.C. for a little while, but ultimately I want to end up in the Northeast, preferably New England.

What do you guys think of ND's alumni network throughout the country? I was sort of thinking I could get a job in DC or Boston/New York if I graduated high enough in my class. Thoughts?

UVA will take you almost anywhere, including New England. I'd take UVA to ensure the most options upon graduation-- especially in this economy.

Why even consider the other schools!! haha. If you really are debt averse, and won't want to do the big firm for a few years then I could understand choosing one of the other schools you have listed over UVA.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Lauren2255 wrote:Wow, that was quick. Thanks so much already. I actually see myself working in the Northeast after graduation because I want to be close to my family. I could see myself in D.C. for a little while, but ultimately I want to end up in the Northeast, preferably New England.

ND is famous for its alumni network, but I don't think it's enough of a factor to rely on it. If you're not OK with winding up in the midwest for a while, I would probably take a pass on ND. It's a good school, but it's much more regional than UVA, if what I've learned in the last few months means anything.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:54 pm

td6624 wrote:

ND is famous for its alumni network, but I don't think it's enough of a factor to rely on it. If you're not OK with winding up in the midwest for a while, I would probably take a pass on ND. It's a good school, but it's much more regional than UVA, if what I've learned in the last few months means anything.

I think its safe to say all of those schools besides UVA are pretty much regional schools (although I have heard some national stuff about ND.)

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:00 pm

If biglaw is not your goal, and you want to end up back in New England/Northeast, then see what sort of scholarship you can get out of BC. If it is similar to the one GW gave you, I'd take that money and run. ITE, nothing is guaranteed even at T-14 schools. The clincher here is that you want to go into prosecution. You shouldn't have to work in a job you don't aspire to for half a decade for the sole purpose of paying off student loans upon graduation. That is why I would vote BC if they give you good scholarship.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 pm

UVa and GW$$$ are your two best options. However, if you want to end up in the Northeast, UVa and BC are your two best options. Unless BC offers you a scholarship that, at the very least, meets or exceeds GWU's, you shouldn't pass up UVa.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”