please help- UVA ED? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: please help- UVA ED?

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:18 am

spritecan wrote:Why would you ED anywhere with those numbers?
To get in?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:19 am

? They really want to stay in the south, and UVA has a horrible record of admits/$ for the stat range?

And they got essentially WLed by Duke.

musclemilk2

New

Post by musclemilk2 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 am

Because like they showed earlier ITT, people with my numbers are getting waitlisted, not accepted at UVa and UVa and UT are basically the two schools I think I would be happiest at. The issue is just money now, because I really think I would get a big scholarship at UT and if I end up working in Houston there is really no difference between which school I go to (UT might even have the bigger pull)

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 am

musclemilk2 wrote:
Because like they showed earlier ITT, people with my numbers are getting waitlisted, not accepted at UVa and UVa and UT are basically the two schools I think I would be happiest at. The issue is just money now, because I really think I would get a big scholarship at UT and if I end up working in Houston there is really no difference between which school I go to (UT might even have the bigger pull)
Do you know when you should hear about $$ from UT? If you got mega-money from them, I'd honestly say you should just go there.

musclemilk2

New

Post by musclemilk2 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 am

5ky wrote:
musclemilk2 wrote:
Do you know when you should hear about $$ from UT? If you got mega-money from them, I'd honestly say you should just go there.
Thats the problem, no idea when I will hear. I went complete 2/4 and with my numbers I really think I should hear by the end of this week. And if that is the case I don't want to ED at Virginia (where I went complete like 1/20) and then hear from UT that I got a huge scholly a couple days later and have it go to waste. Thats why I think I should give it like one last week to hopefully hear from Texas, b/c I don't think UVa will waitlist me in the next week, but of course if they do I will be screwed and will have dropped the ball

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

musclemilk2

New

Post by musclemilk2 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:59 pm

To: Anyone who has gone from RD to ED at UVA

Does the status checker update/is there an email update/is there any type of update that shows your file has gone from "File complete, Pending Review/Decision" in RD to something else? Or do I just assume I will hear within 15 days of when they received the ED form?

Thanks.

kareenak888

New

Post by kareenak888 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 pm

musclemilk2 wrote:To: Anyone who has gone from RD to ED at UVA

Does the status checker update/is there an email update/is there any type of update that shows your file has gone from "File complete, Pending Review/Decision" in RD to something else? Or do I just assume I will hear within 15 days of when they received the ED form?

Thanks.
so u took the plunge and went ED?

musclemilk2

New

Post by musclemilk2 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:14 pm

I did. It was one of those decisions that I could have gone back and forth and back and forth for days debating with myself, but at the end of the day I realized that UVA is a great fit for me. I think I will be REALLY happy for three years of law school (which is VERY important to me) and it will leave me with career options in DC/VA/Houston/Atlanta (where I want to work).

I appreciate everyone's input in helping me realize that EDing was the way to go. I will update with the results of course (assuming they are positive!)

kareenak888

New

Post by kareenak888 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:15 pm

musclemilk2 wrote:I did. It was one of those decisions that I could have gone back and forth and back and forth for days debating with myself, but at the end of the day I realized that UVA is a great fit for me. I think I will be REALLY happy for three years of law school (which is VERY important to me) and it will leave me with career options in DC/VA/Houston/Atlanta (where I want to work).

I appreciate everyone's input in helping me realize that EDing was the way to go. I will update with the results of course (assuming they are positive!)
Good! I think you made a great choice.
Also, since you have Eded... I would take your stats of TLS....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:A lot of people on TLS fail to understand how things work and yet make blanket statements about things anyway.
I admit I'm not an expert, but don't matriculation percentages play a part in the rankings also? And wouldn't they be able to use the money they save on ED admissions for non-ED, making them more competitive without changing the total amount of money spent?

You seem to know more about this than I do, but a lot of what is posted here is conjecture and I don't think mine is unreasonable.
No. Acceptance rate is considered in the USNews rankings, not Matriculation Percentage (Yield). So, the yield is only indirectly relevant in that having an accepted student not matriculate might require the school to eventually accept another student.

The school has a lot to gain in the long run by giving money to ED students. If, by granting significant money to ED students now, then in years later they might be able to get more students to attend by binding contract, decreasing their acceptance rate and helping their rankings. So, although there's a more indirect benefit to granting ED students money, it does pay long run dividends in the age of the internet. Real (albeit anecdotal) evidence can propagate far more easily through boards like TLS, and eventually people will catch on that UVA ED is a pretty good deal. This seems to be the UVA strategy.

musclemilk2

New

Post by musclemilk2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:51 pm

In via phone call. Thanks for the advice guys, I think I made the right choice. Anyone know anything about scholarship info? As in when it comes?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”