CLS placement outside of NYC?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
generals10

CLS placement outside of NYC?

Postby generals10 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:01 pm

As someone who received a Hamilton and likes the idea of living in New York for a few years, but doesn't want to live there long-term/raise a family there, this interests me. I know California is traditionally the other big market for Columbia, and that self-selection of students makes drawing conclusions tough, but how does CLS do in other primary/secondary East Coast markets?

For example, take UVA. If I'm more interested in DC lit than NY transactional, does the difference in prestige/placement between the two dissipate as to be almost insignificant?

On the flip side, without turning this into a general Hamilton v. HYS thread, does Columbia lose so much of its cache outside of NY that Harvard and Stanford become worth the extra dough?

Thanks for any and all insight
Last edited by generals10 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Re: CLS placement outside of NYC?

Postby Dignan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:10 pm

This data is old (2005), but it's probably still a good indicator of Columbia's relative placement power:

http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/student ... w/data.htm

As you can see, Columbia does quite well in all markets.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

generals10

Postby generals10 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I've heard Columbia doesn't place well in Pueblo, CO. Could be rumor, but other than there you should be fine.

Touche. On the surface, "Does Columbia place well outside of its home market?" is kind of a dumb/douchey question, but taken in terms relative to other top-10 schools (the tiers traditionally just above and just below CCN), I think its relevant for a lot of people.

Dignan: Thanks, great link.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”