GW $$$ vs. Vanderbilt $$ (Updated with unexpected scholly) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do?

GW with 30k/year and free first year housing
41%
Vanderbilt with 24k/year
59%

Total votes: 82

td6624

Silver

GW $$$ vs. Vanderbilt $$ (Updated with unexpected scholly)

Post by td6624 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Scholarship info on Vanderbilt will probably come next week. I'm not expecting to receive much from them. UPDATE: I got offered 24k/year. I did not receive any merit aid from UCLA. I received 30k/year + free first year housing at GW.

Now to some personal points...

I have no idea what I want to do or where I want to be. I may pursue an interest in politics or government work, in which case GW seems to be the clear choice. I've always had sort of a pipe dream about entertainment law, which would push me toward UCLA. Living in LA does not really appeal to me very much. Neither does Nashville. If Vanderbilt weren't in Nashville, I'd feel better about it. The class size/environment seem really appealing. So do the job prospects.

Of DC/LA/Nashville, I get the impression that DC would be the best place for me to live.

Honestly, I'd always sort of assumed I'd be staying in Chicago until I did better on the LSAT then I thought I would. Put me in a position where staying in Chicago isn't a very viable option. I'd like to keep the door open on returning at some point, but it's not much of a concern right now.

As of now, GW is the clear leader in my head. Is there any set of circumstances where choosing GW would be a "bad" decision?

UPDATE #2: UCLA can be scrapped. Pretty much everything else remains the same. I think I need to at least visit Vandy before turning down that offer. But GW is still slightly ahead in my mind. Any thoughts given the more definite set of circumstances?

UPDATE #3: 10k/year to UCLA. Don't think that's enough to sway me.
Last edited by td6624 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

thickfreakness

Silver

Re: Sorry to pile on, but... GW $$$ vs. UCLA vs. Vanderbilt

Post by thickfreakness » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:56 pm

It really does sound like GW is the best fit for you. I think taking the money is the best option unless you're absolutely set on a particular market or biglaw job that is best attainable at another school. Since you're not, take the money and use law school to help you decide on and train for a particular practice area.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:28 pm

does GW have a GPA req ?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:33 pm

gwuorbust wrote:does GW have a GPA req ?
Assuming it's the same Dean's scholarship, it has a GPA requirement of maintaining a 3.0. I don't think that's difficult at all, but I don't know how GW curves.

Anyway, GW is the obvious choice unless you want to practice in Tennessee or SoCal (which it sounds like you don't)--even if you lose the scholarship after 1L. For what it's worth, GW is widely considered to be underranked by USNWR due to its part-time program, and it will probably jump up the rankings to about #20-25 next year now that they reduced the size of their PT program and are more stringent about who gets into it.

Basically, go to GW. I'm not seeing a good reason to do otherwise.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:48 pm

BenJ wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:does GW have a GPA req ?
Assuming it's the same Dean's scholarship, it has a GPA requirement of maintaining a 3.0. I don't think that's difficult at all, but I don't know how GW curves.
I believe that a GW student has said that the average grade is a 3.2, so a 3.0 shouldn't be too hard to maintain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. The GPA requirement is a 3.0.

I'd like it if the vandy voters shared their reasoning!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Sounds like you want to be at GW. Vandy isn't worth turning down all that free money. Go to GW.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:26 pm

The real question is why wouldn't you go to GW? You can go to a good school, in a place you really want to live, near politics/gov't work, with a huge scholarship. Your other two options are paying sticker at two schools in places in which you don't want to live or work. Choice seems pretty simple - have a fantastic time at GW. You'll love it.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:30 pm

td6624 wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. The GPA requirement is a 3.0.

You really should visit all of them. I don't know a ton about UCLA and didn't apply to schools in California so I'll let someone else make the case for UCLA (if it can be made). GW with money is a really great option and not saying Vandy is the right choice, but if I was to make the case for Nashville...

Nashville is an amazing city, lots of things to do and generally friendlier than DC. Location is personal preference though and you might like Washington more.

Vandy's employment stats are superior to GW and in the end getting a job is the most important thing to consider.

Vandy alum seem to really like the school. GW alum are mixed bag. I went to GW for undergrad and I really didn't care for it. The law school is a different entity, but I have a number of GW law alum as friends/friends of friends. Some loved GW. A lot have had trouble finding a job.

Not saying GW is a regional school at all, but I think Vandy gives your degree more mobility. If you're not set on a specific location after graduating, I think Vandy would give you more regional options.

Cost of living is lower in Nashville. With money from GW, this really shouldn't be an issue, but just something to think about.

Vandy is a smaller school and only has full-time students. GW is a larger school with a part-time program. Maybe you like smaller programs, maybe you like larger programs. I like smaller schools.

If you are interested in entertainment law, Vandy certainly tops GW.

Basketball: Vandy >>>>> GW

Vanderbilt University has better prestige than GW. When I was in undergrad at GW, whenever I went home all my friends asked me how I liked Georgetown. Every year.

However, that's a ton of money. GW probably wins here in any real debate and should be your option until you hear about money from Vandy....but I'm an idiot and would probably still choose Vandy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:50 pm

td6624 wrote: I have no idea what I want to do or where I want to be. I may pursue an interest in politics or government work, in which case GW seems to be the clear choice.
Depending on if you actually go into gov't or politics, UCLA might actually end up being cheaper at sticker if you enter LRAP.

spritecan

New

Post by spritecan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:17 am

GW

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 am

holydonkey wrote:

You really should visit all of them. I don't know a ton about UCLA and didn't apply to schools in California so I'll let someone else make the case for UCLA (if it can be made). GW with money is a really great option and not saying Vandy is the right choice, but if I was to make the case for Nashville...

Nashville is an amazing city, lots of things to do and generally friendlier than DC. Location is personal preference though and you might like Washington more.

Vandy's employment stats are superior to GW and in the end getting a job is the most important thing to consider.

Vandy alum seem to really like the school. GW alum are mixed bag. I went to GW for undergrad and I really didn't care for it. The law school is a different entity, but I have a number of GW law alum as friends/friends of friends. Some loved GW. A lot have had trouble finding a job.

Not saying GW is a regional school at all, but I think Vandy gives your degree more mobility. If you're not set on a specific location after graduating, I think Vandy would give you more regional options.

Cost of living is lower in Nashville. With money from GW, this really shouldn't be an issue, but just something to think about.

Vandy is a smaller school and only has full-time students. GW is a larger school with a part-time program. Maybe you like smaller programs, maybe you like larger programs. I like smaller schools.

Vanderbilt University has better prestige than GW. When I was in undergrad at GW, whenever I went home all my friends asked me how I liked Georgetown. Every year.

However, that's a ton of money. GW probably wins here in any real debate and should be your option until you hear about money from Vandy....but I'm an idiot and would probably still choose Vandy.
Thanks, it's good to have a contrasting opinion laid out.

I think all things being equal, it would be hard for me to turn down Vanderbilt. And while I've heard tons of great things about Nashville, and I have been there a few times and thought it was very nice, I'm about as certain as I can be that I would personally prefer DC.

I think that in the end, money + location trumps class size + slightly more portability + slightly better job prospects.

I suppose this is a good problem to have. I don't think I can go wrong here. But right now I'm about 90% sure I'm gonna go with GW.

bruinsbaseball

New

Post by bruinsbaseball » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:30 am

after living here for four years now, i think that nashville is the most overrated city in the country.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:39 am

bruinsbaseball wrote:after living here for four years now, i think that nashville is the most overrated city in the country.
Maybe when viewed from the other side of Wedgewood :wink: Vandy's a whole different world. Different culture, at the very least. I've enjoyed the hell out of my 4 years.

bruinsbaseball

New

Post by bruinsbaseball » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:00 am

stratocophic wrote:
bruinsbaseball wrote:after living here for four years now, i think that nashville is the most overrated city in the country.
Maybe when viewed from the other side of Wedgewood :wink: Vandy's a whole different world. Different culture, at the very least. I've enjoyed the hell out of my 4 years.
the combination of uberhipters/fanatical christians on our turf overwhelms...

i definitely enjoy nashvegas but (in my humble opinion) it doesnt compare to major cities like chicago (hometown) dc ny boston. annnd found it harder to love nashville after spending two and a half months of the summer here, only to go back to chicago for the latter part of august and experience lake michigan, mlb games, better neighboorhoods people and food.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 am

bruinsbaseball wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
the combination of uberhipters/fanatical christians on our turf overwhelms...

i definitely enjoy nashvegas but (in my humble opinion) it doesnt compare to major cities like chicago (hometown) dc ny boston. annnd found it harder to love nashville after spending two and a half months of the summer here, only to go back to chicago for the latter part of august and experience lake michigan, mlb games, better neighboorhoods people and food.
Ouch. Different culture FTW if that's the case :roll: I've spent 2 summers here, and it was rough sans sans other Vandy kids around. Although TBF, I was living in Bellemead (way up West End) where there's nothing for one summer and in a shithole on 16th during the other... plus I knew literally no one else who stayed in Nashville for the summer months either year. The sports (bad though they may be most of the time) and atmosphere are awesome during the school year, though. Campus just turns into a ghost town from May to August.

Is it Belmont that's responsible for the bike-riding hipster douchebags that troll West End, or are they just locals? Can't stand 'em.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:50 am

td6624 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

I think all things being equal, it would be hard for me to turn down Vanderbilt. And while I've heard tons of great things about Nashville, and I have been there a few times and thought it was very nice, I'm about as certain as I can be that I would personally prefer DC.

I think that in the end, money + location trumps class size + slightly more portability + slightly better job prospects.

I suppose this is a good problem to have. I don't think I can go wrong here. But right now I'm about 90% sure I'm gonna go with GW.
I think you're right that money and location will probably trump class size and portability. But, just to be clear, when I'm talking about job prospects, I mean more than 50% of Vandy's class landed NLJ250 or clerkships, only about a third of GW did. This is a pretty significant difference.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 am

holydonkey wrote:
td6624 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

I think you're right that money and location will probably trump class size and portability. But, just to be clear, when I'm talking about job prospects, I mean more than 50% of Vandy's class landed NLJ250 or clerkships, only about a third of GW did. This is a pretty significant difference.
I have heard many times that about 35% of GW's class takes biglaw jobs. But you have to consider that a lot of ppl do not want biglaw. An amount of these are in the top of the class. So, based off this, it seems that if you can be in the top 50% at GW you have a shot at getting biglaw (still have to work for it tho).

If you are below the median, however, well... doc review anyone?

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 am

holydonkey wrote:
No, I know. But do I want that? Not really sure. And so I'm not basing my decision entirely off of that.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm

holydonkey wrote:I think you're right that money and location will probably trump class size and portability. But, just to be clear, when I'm talking about job prospects, I mean more than 50% of Vandy's class landed NLJ250 or clerkships, only about a third of GW did. This is a pretty significant difference.
Yes, but $30K/year at a school is also significantly different from $0K/year at a school. I'd say the $100,000 difference in debt probably makes up for a 15% difference in NLJ250 placement, at least in OP's case.

td6624

Silver

Re: Sorry to pile on, but... GW $$$ vs. UCLA vs. Vanderbilt $$

Post by td6624 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:36 pm

sorry, but this now requires a bump.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:38 pm

td6624 wrote:sorry, but this now requires a bump.
Go to Vandy with $$

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:40 pm

I think the big question you need to ask yourself is what type of environment do you want during law school. GW has a huge class and is right next to the DC mall. Vanderbilt has a small class and is in Nashville. With the scholarships offered and differences in cost of living, you aren't looking at too much of a difference in debt after school. I would say that the $15k from first year housing would be the main difference.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:41 pm

rad law wrote:
td6624 wrote:sorry, but this now requires a bump.
Go to Vandy with $$
Ahhhhhhh

Would you mind providing me your reasoning?

Please keep in mind that I'm gay and am kind of sick of socially conservative culture (been immersed in it for four years) and would prefer to live in a "big city" (does Nashville qualify?)

If I do mediocre at Vandy, I'll be confined to the South, right? I'd much rather be handcuffed to DC.

I'm thinking this is going to come down to impressions I get from visits.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:42 pm

wired wrote:I think the big question you need to ask yourself is what type of environment do you want during law school. GW has a huge class and is right next to the DC mall. Vanderbilt has a small class and is in Nashville. With the scholarships offered and differences in cost of living, you aren't looking at too much of a difference in debt after school. I would say that the $15k from first year housing would be the main difference.
The problem with these factors is that I prefer the small class size of Vandy, but I prefer the bustling location of GW. It seems like those two may cancel each other out?

I'm in way over my head here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”