Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fortissimo

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby fortissimo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:21 pm

holydonkey wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Duke and NU have better placement in prestigious firms, and just about as good (within 2%) overall placement, even in a year when Chicago firms got decimated.

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml

Um Michigan and Duke are tied for placement in prestigious firms in your link. How does tie mean Duke > Michigan, especially if Michigan has better overall placement?

Right...Only explanation is Alzheimer's? (He goes to Northwestern.) He also fails to ignore clerkship placement, which MV consistently do better in. This thread is getting pretty ridiculous though. Desert Fox considered ED-ing at Penn or Michigan but ended up at NU. I guess it's because he feels uncomfortable with people under 40, and Kronk (VoidSix) is now officially more "pernicious," as one of you put it, than UVA trolls, which is a pretty miraculous feat. At least they don't go on continuous hate tirades.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Kronk wrote:SYH-CCN-BPND-MVC-G

Evidence points to Georgetown being in the same league as Vanderbilt, USC, and Texas, time to lop it off

SYH
CCN
BPND
MV
C
GtVanUSC

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:26 pm

fortissimo wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Duke and NU have better placement in prestigious firms, and just about as good (within 2%) overall placement, even in a year when Chicago firms got decimated.

Um Michigan and Duke are tied for placement in prestigious firms in your link. How does tie mean Duke > Michigan, especially if Michigan has better overall placement?

Right...Only explanation is Alzheimer's? (He goes to Northwestern.) He also fails to ignore clerkship placement, which MV consistently do better in. This thread is getting pretty ridiculous though. Desert Fox considered ED-ing at Penn or Michigan but ended up at NU. I guess it's because he feels uncomfortable with people under 40, and Kronk (VoidSix) is now officially more "pernicious," as one of you put it, than UVA trolls, which is a pretty miraculous feat. At least they don't go on continuous hate tirades.

Oh weird...I guess DP is GOING to go to Northwestern. So this entire thread is dominated by 0L trolls...interesting.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Borhas wrote:

Evidence points to Georgetown being in the same league as Vanderbilt, USC, and Texas, time to lop it off

SYH
CCN
BPND
MV
C
GtVanUSC

Pernicious anti-UCLA trolling.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:30 pm

fortissimo wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

Oh weird...I guess DP is GOING to go to Northwestern. So this entire thread is dominated by 0L trolls...interesting.

Gotta show our probable future schools some love early to get the trolling worked out for next year. :D

Besides, to be honest, this site could use some Michigan trolling. All you ever see are UVA and Boalttt trolls.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:31 pm

The idea that any BoalTTT troll on TLS is worse than the collection of UVA trolls is truly hysterical.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Only 0Ls can truly troll as hard as some of you in here. You haven't yet discovered your school's numerous flaws.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 pm

crackberry wrote:
Borhas wrote:

SYH
CCN
BPND
MV
C
GtVanUSC

Pernicious anti-UCLA trolling.

as much as I enjoy trolling I think a 6% drop off seems pretty significant, but I can get behind any new set that chips away at the T-14

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:37 pm

crackberry wrote:The idea that any BoalTTT troll on TLS is worse than the collection of UVA trolls is truly hysterical.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108701

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:38 pm

YSH
CC
NMVDN
PBC
G

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:39 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Only 0Ls can truly troll as hard as some of you in here. You haven't yet discovered your school's numerous flaws.

The only school without any flaws is UVA, naturally.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 pm

crackberry wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Only 0Ls can truly troll as hard as some of you in here. You haven't yet discovered your school's numerous flaws.

right...im a 0L and even i know that ...cmon

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:45 pm

crackberry wrote:

Though I don't like to publicly discuss them, my knowledge of the school's flaws tempers my enthusiasm quite a bit, as you could easily discover by reading a reasonable sample of my posts.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 pm

fortissimo wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

Me and Kronk are trolling (for fun, not school glory) UVA and UMich fanboys. It is because you guys are displaying some massive fanboism and logical reasoning flaws.

Go back and calculate this total placement percentage for 2007 and 2008. Duke and Northwestern do slightly better than UVA and Michigan. But all these schools are placing within 2-4% of each other, and which one leads varies.

Duke and NU place as good or better in prestigious firms, probably entirely based on their small class size.

So you guys are coming here and claiming UMich and UVa are objectively better schools based on placing 2% better than NU and 3% better than Duke. So how to you explain the data going the other way the last two years? Was Northwestern one of the best law schools in 2007 when 73% of its class in NLJ250 and UVa only placed 58? No.

So you either believe UVA and UMich suddenly because better law schools during the 1 year where the legal market got shook up? Or you are applying one data point extremely broadly.

If you want to say UVa and UMich are better than Northwestern because they placed 2% better, while Northwesterns #1 and #2 markets(Chi and NYC) were hit suddenly by recession go ahead. You are only making yourself look foolish.

Duke, Penn, Michigan, Boalt, Cornell, Northwestern, and Virgina are all peer schools and all roughly place the same percentage each year.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Speaking for my own UVA trolling on this data: I was just trying to rile up CCN folks. Seemed to work.

It's pretty obvious the newly released stats are anomalous.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

Me and Kronk are trolling (for fun, not school glory) UVA and UMich fanboys. It is because you guys are displaying some massive fanboism and logical reasoning flaws.

Go back and calculate this total placement percentage for 2007 and 2008. Duke and Northwestern do slightly better than UVA and Michigan. But all these schools are placing within 2-4% of each other, and which one leads varies.

Duke and NU place as good or better in prestigious firms, probably entirely based on their small class size.

So you guys are coming here and claiming UMich and UVa are objectively better schools based on placing 2% better than NU and 3% better than Duke. So how to you explain the data going the other way the last two years? Was Northwestern one of the best law schools in 2007 when 73% of its class in NLJ250 and UVa only placed 58? No.

So you either believe UVA and UMich suddenly because better law schools during the 1 year where the legal market got shook up? Or you are applying one data point extremely broadly.

If you want to say UVa and UMich are better than Northwestern because they placed 2% better, while Northwesterns #1 and #2 markets(Chi and NYC) were hit suddenly by recession go ahead. You are only making yourself look foolish.

Duke, Penn, Michigan, Boalt, Cornell, Northwestern, and Virgina are all peer schools and all roughly place the same percentage each year.

Mayyyybe...but which one has the coolest football team? I know, I know, Cornell. :(

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

I thought this was all in fun....lol to me C(olumbia) through G(eorgetown) is about the same

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:54 pm

jmaan wrote:I thought this was all in fun....lol to me N(YU) through D(uke) is about the same

FTFY.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

Too much logic; dr.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Speaking for my own UVA trolling on this data: I was just trying to rile up CCN folks. Seemed to work.

It's pretty obvious the newly released stats are anomalous.

Its actually a testament to how broadly UVA and UMich place around the country. Geographic diversity was their strength.

This data isn't about who got the firm offers, because the OCI in 2007 was insane. Everyone got offers, and I mean everyone. This data shows which schools lost offers to no offering after 2L programs.

NYC and Chicago were hardest hit. DC was almost untouched and Cali and the rest of the country didn't do so bad.

This is why schools that placed almost all their students in NYC big law (especially in firms with huge transactional departments) got killed. Schools that placed in Chicago (NU) got hurt. Yet schools who do well nationally (UMich and UVa) did pretty damn good.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:59 pm

showNprove wrote:When did the anti-Cornell trolling suddenly stop?

Cornell has always placed well. Its avoiding killing yourself in February in Ithica that is the problem. OCI ain't shit after that.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:59 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
jmaan wrote:I thought this was all in fun....lol to me N(YU) through D(uke) is about the same

FTFY.

lol or we can just keep saying YHSCV

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:00 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Too much logic; dr.

If I had only worked so hard during undergrad, I'll be LOLing at all your prols from Harvard. FML.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:01 pm

We call all agree on t13 right?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”