Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27907
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby Kronk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:22 pm

TTT-LS wrote:Y'all are cute, sniping back and forth about whose school is moar awesome. In the end, it doesn't really matter much. What does, of course, is how YOU end up doing personally.


Relative to the school of course. Top 2/3 at CCN ~ Top 1/2 at UniversiTTTies of Michigan and Virginia.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby Rand M. » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:24 pm

Kurama had it right all along about NYU being essentially regional. Anybody have any new tiers established after this data?

HYS-CC-NMVPBDNC-G?

Is that what it always was?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27907
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby Kronk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Rand M. wrote:Kurama had it right all along about NYU being essentially regional. Anybody have any new tiers established after this data?

HYS-CC-NMVPBDNC-G?

Is that what it always was?


Looks right to me. NYU is just lucky that it has the best "region."

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Rand M. wrote:Kurama had it right all along about NYU being essentially regional. Anybody have any new tiers established after this data?

HYS-CC-NMVPBDNC-G?

Is that what it always was?


Uva and Um students will never admit NU and Duke are just as good, but pretty much.

HYS-CCN-MBPBDNC-G In NYC

HYS CC-NMVPBDNC-G country wide.

Its just 2009 was a horrific year for NYC, all those wallstreet banks shat themselves.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby Rand M. » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:HYS-CCN-MBPBDNC-G In NYC


Not so subtle decimation of 'V'

User avatar
jmaan
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby jmaan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Rand M. wrote:Kurama had it right all along about NYU being essentially regional. Anybody have any new tiers established after this data?

HYS-CC-NMVPBDNC-G?

Is that what it always was?


Uva and Um students will never admit NU and Duke are just as good, but pretty much.

HYS-CCN-MBPBDNC-G In NYC

HYS CC-NMVPBDNC-G country wide.

Its just 2009 was a horrific year for NYC, all those wallstreet banks shat themselves.



i'll give u that...i've always been told that outside of HYS...t10 is pretty much the same

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby Reedie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:32 pm

This thread is big on lol, short on reason. My softball argument is almost as compelling as the crazy conclusions people are reaching based on one set of data. Man. UVA and Michigan have always been good law schools and always will be. Even *if* ccn are "better" it's not a big difference so it would be shocking if the data always showed a big advantage for them.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby miamiman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm honestly just impressed by NU

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby Rand M. » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:34 pm

jmaan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Rand M. wrote:Kurama had it right all along about NYU being essentially regional. Anybody have any new tiers established after this data?

HYS-CC-NMVPBDNC-G?

Is that what it always was?


Uva and Um students will never admit NU and Duke are just as good, but pretty much.

HYS-CCN-MBPBDNC-G In NYC

HYS CC-NMVPBDNC-G country wide.

Its just 2009 was a horrific year for NYC, all those wallstreet banks shat themselves.



i'll give u that...i've always been told that outside of HYS...t10 is pretty much the same


So those deciding on schools outside of HYS might as well just toss them all onto a sticky wall and wait for the race to the bottom? It is just really hard to see CC as the same as DN; really hard.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:39 pm

miamiman wrote:I'm honestly just impressed by NU


The only place NU sucks is at federal district court clerkship. It does okay at appellate but absolutely embarrassing at district level. I have no idea why.

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby Mulliganstew » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Notor wrote:There also seems to be little difference between certain Big 10 schools: OSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, MN, and UIUC all seem to be roughly the same and ranked fairly accurately. IUB is way out of its league and has placements more in line with schools ranked 60 or lower.


I'd place our school against Illinois any day. NLJ placements aren't everything. (Also, this placement isn't even counting the class of 2012 which is the major reason Indiana is ranked so high. (Along with the significant endowment by Mr. Maurer.)
Last edited by Mulliganstew on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby scribelaw » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:54 pm

I don't know why everyone is beating up on NYU as a result of these numbers.

I think their placement held up pretty well, considering their primary market was at the center of an international financial collapse. Chicago faring better obviously benefited Michigan/NU. And in DC, firms still have work -- federal government business has grown, not shrunk, during the recession. (Although I still think Virginia holding up so well is impressive, given Georgetown's steady erosion).

NYU still placed the most grads of any school in four or five of the firms in the NLJ survery, including Skadden and Latham Watkins. Plus, it places a comparatively high percentage in PI.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:58 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes of 2009 (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby najumobi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:03 pm

jss1100 wrote:Does this suggest that Wake's job prospects are really better than UNC? I dunno. Gah, I am having to decide between these two schools and I felt pretty set on UNC but job prospects/outcomes are very important to me.

my take on the unc vs wake debate is if you're interested in public interest, take unc, and if you're more interested in clerkships take wake.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby rayiner » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You all have to consider that during OCI 2007 everyone was getting offers. The differences amongst the T13 in this data are who actually got to keep their offers.

Michigan's geographic diversity, and UVa's ownership of DC are FTW in class of 2009.


Man speaks troof.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:
Notor wrote:There also seems to be little difference between certain Big 10 schools: OSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, MN, and UIUC all seem to be roughly the same and ranked fairly accurately. IUB is way out of its league and has placements more in line with schools ranked 60 or lower.


I'd place our school against Illinois any day. NLJ placements aren't everything. (Also, this placement isn't even counting the class of 2012 which is the major reason Indiana is ranked so high. (Along with the significant endowment by Mr. Maurer.)


Illinois is best for Chicago big law(better than WUSTL and ND). It sucks elsewhere.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27907
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby Kronk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:08 pm

scribelaw wrote:I don't know why everyone is beating up on NYU as a result of these numbers.


Easy answer here. Because they're part of the UVa fanboy posse. Jaws things everyone in the world should ED to Virginia if they want to get in and one of them once said that "People inside the law community really don't care about rankings. I heard a professor once say that he wasn't impressed with Yale and thought UVA was the best school in the nation."

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby Mulliganstew » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:08 pm

I fully expect Illinois to nose dive in 2010's rankings after all of the corruption in the application process from last year.

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby tamlyric » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:11 pm

rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You all have to consider that during OCI 2007 everyone was getting offers. The differences amongst the T13 in this data are who actually got to keep their offers.

Michigan's geographic diversity, and UVa's ownership of DC are FTW in class of 2009.


Man speaks troof.


I'll reserve comment on the upshot of the data. But I think the emboldened may just be my new favorite word. Cheers!

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby oneforship » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Kronk wrote:
scribelaw wrote:I don't know why everyone is beating up on NYU as a result of these numbers.


Easy answer here. Because they're part of the UVa fanboy posse. Jaws things everyone in the world should ED to Virginia if they want to get in and one of them once said that "People inside the law community really don't care about rankings. I heard a professor once say that he wasn't impressed with Yale and thought UVA was the best school in the nation."


I really just don't see what makes NYU better than UVA unless you want to work in NYC. Not trolling here, this is my actual opinion.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:13 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:I fully expect Illinois to nose dive in 2010's rankings after all of the corruption in the application process from last year.


It might take a hit in the assessment scores. But they increased their GPA median. I doubt law firms will care when hiring grads.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby Rand M. » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:14 pm

oneforship wrote:I really just don't see what makes NYU better than UVA unless you want to work in NYC. Not trolling here, this is my actual opinion.


After actually looking past the simple USNWR ranking I don't know what anyone else would see either. The faculty is great and its location couldn't be better, but as far as exit opportunities it's really not in another league like some try to assert.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby scribelaw » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:15 pm

oneforship wrote:
Kronk wrote:
scribelaw wrote:I don't know why everyone is beating up on NYU as a result of these numbers.


Easy answer here. Because they're part of the UVa fanboy posse. Jaws things everyone in the world should ED to Virginia if they want to get in and one of them once said that "People inside the law community really don't care about rankings. I heard a professor once say that he wasn't impressed with Yale and thought UVA was the best school in the nation."


I really just don't see what makes NYU better than UVA unless you want to work in NYC. Not trolling here, this is my actual opinion.


Isn't half the country's white-shoe legal market in NYC?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:15 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:I'm honestly just impressed by NU


The only place NU sucks is at federal district court clerkship. It does okay at appellate but absolutely embarrassing at district level. I have no idea why.

I don't think that's the case w/r/t district courts. The c/o 2009 didn't do terribly well, but if you look at the classes of 2008 and 2007, NU sent 17 and 14 students to federal district court clerkships (excluding all magistrates, bk judges, etc.). Given a graduating class of ~270, those figures represent 6 and 5% of the classes, respectively. When you consider that NU sent 15 and 12 students to federal COA clerkships those two years (5.5% and 4.4% of the class, respectively), the total placement looks pretty good overall at 10%+ each year in Art. III clerkships. Yes, the district court numbers should probably be higher, but I'd hardly call those numbers "embarrassing."


Must have been an anomaly in 2009 then.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Top Placing Classes (NLJ250 and Federal Clerkships)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 pm

oneforship wrote:
Kronk wrote:
scribelaw wrote:I don't know why everyone is beating up on NYU as a result of these numbers.


Easy answer here. Because they're part of the UVa fanboy posse. Jaws things everyone in the world should ED to Virginia if they want to get in and one of them once said that "People inside the law community really don't care about rankings. I heard a professor once say that he wasn't impressed with Yale and thought UVA was the best school in the nation."


I really just don't see what makes NYU better than UVA unless you want to work in NYC. Not trolling here, this is my actual opinion.


Nothing, but when NYC is a huge market being better there makes it better overall.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests