Top schools hired by NLJ 250 firms in 2009!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Top schools hired by NLJ 250 firms in 2009!!!

Postby ughOSU » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:03 am

MC Southstar wrote:Well, I'm fucked.

Yup... I mean I know statistics are statistics that vary year-to-year, and one shouldn't read too much into any one statistic or year, but... god damn it Penn.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Top schools hired by NLJ 250 firms in 2009!!!

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:25 am

miamiman wrote:What is happening with 2l oci at nyu?

--ImageRemoved--

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Top schools hired by NLJ 250 firms in 2009!!!

Postby miamiman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:34 am

Kohinoor wrote:
miamiman wrote:What is happening with 2l oci at nyu?

--ImageRemoved--



they're having renaissance fairs?

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Top schools hired by NLJ 250 firms in 2009!!!

Postby englawyer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:40 am

swc65 wrote:That's what I don't get though, wouldn't the prestige hit of laying off a bunch of seasoned employees in order to keep noobs be just as bad or worse? Add that to the experience gap you're left would get rid of new hirs who are months from starting before I would get rid of current employees.

Ya it will sick for 11 because of the backlog, but some firms are already calling in their deferrals. Hopefully for 11 that trend will continue.


another reason to layoff third years rather than 3L is to keep relations up with the schools.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Top schools hired by NLJ 250 firms in 2009!!!

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:45 am

englawyer wrote:
swc65 wrote:That's what I don't get though, wouldn't the prestige hit of laying off a bunch of seasoned employees in order to keep noobs be just as bad or worse? Add that to the experience gap you're left would get rid of new hirs who are months from starting before I would get rid of current employees.

Ya it will sick for 11 because of the backlog, but some firms are already calling in their deferrals. Hopefully for 11 that trend will continue.


another reason to layoff third years rather than 3L is to keep relations up with the schools.

this. in a bad economy, a firm can hire and fire first years at will and nobody will care. they'll still get 200 resumes for each open position. However, the firm runs the risk that a rebounding economy will find the most competitive first years avoiding that firm even a decade later.

twistedwrister
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Top schools hired by NLJ 250 firms in 2009!!!

Postby twistedwrister » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:04 pm

miamiman wrote:What is happening with 2l oci at nyu?


I don't have aggregate stats, but out of my 15 or so close friends, only one doesn't have a 2L SA job lined up yet. A few are working in the fed gov, which was their goal all along. The rest of us are working at firms (from V5 through V100), mostly in NYC but several in CA.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Top schools hired by NLJ 250 firms in 2009!!!

Postby miamiman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:31 pm

twistedwrister wrote:
miamiman wrote:What is happening with 2l oci at nyu?


I don't have aggregate stats, but out of my 15 or so close friends, only one doesn't have a 2L SA job lined up yet. A few are working in the fed gov, which was their goal all along. The rest of us are working at firms (from V5 through V100), mostly in NYC but several in CA.


Does this indicate that c/o 2011 data won't be nearly as troubled as we thought?

twistedwrister
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Top schools hired by NLJ 250 firms in 2009!!!

Postby twistedwrister » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:53 pm

miamiman wrote:
twistedwrister wrote:
miamiman wrote:What is happening with 2l oci at nyu?


I don't have aggregate stats, but out of my 15 or so close friends, only one doesn't have a 2L SA job lined up yet. A few are working in the fed gov, which was their goal all along. The rest of us are working at firms (from V5 through V100), mostly in NYC but several in CA.


Does this indicate that c/o 2011 data won't be nearly as troubled as we thought?


I hope so, but I'm not sure. Several of my friends are on Law Review, so it's no surprise they got great firm gigs. Some of my friends with less stellar grades took jobs at firms that they would not really have considered pre-ITE (and believe me, they were happy to get offers at all). I talked to hiring partners at quite a few firms during this 2L recruiting season, and they all said they were planning to hire fewer SA's this year (think 10-12 instead of 25-30, or 60-70 instead of 100). If SA hiring is really down 30-40%, as I believe it probably is, then a lot fewer people will get a SA position at a firm. If my group of friends is any indication, NYU is holding up well. But the cuts have to come from somewhere. On the bright side, if you are able to land a SA position, the chances of getting a full time offer after the summer should be good. The hiring / managing partners I talked to indicated that one big reason for cutting the size of SA classes is to avoid any more deferrals and no-offers in the future.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Mhr and 2 guests