UCLA v. UC Irvine v. Loyola $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ogurty

UCLA v. UC Irvine v. Loyola $$

Postby ogurty » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:20 am

I didn't apply to many schools. I'm set on staying in LA. Will live at home, hubby pays the rent. UCLA is 30 miles away (perhaps the 30 busiest miles of freeway in history), Loyola is 15 miles away and Irvine is 45 miles away. UCI has half tuition scholarship guaranteed (so $18k/yr tuition), UCLA is sticker. Loyola is an afterthought - they offered $22k/yr with strings.

I'm pretty set on UCLA. Just LSN posts make me worry about UCLA prospects. Are they bad enough that I should gamble on Irvine?

Dignan

Re: UCLA v. UC Irvine v. Loyola $$

Postby Dignan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:48 am

ogurty wrote:I didn't apply to many schools. I'm set on staying in LA. Will live at home, hubby pays the rent. UCLA is 30 miles away (perhaps the 30 busiest miles of freeway in history), Loyola is 15 miles away and Irvine is 45 miles away. UCI has half tuition scholarship guaranteed (so $18k/yr tuition), UCLA is sticker. Loyola is an afterthought - they offered $22k/yr with strings.

I'm pretty set on UCLA. Just LSN posts make me worry about UCLA prospects. Are they bad enough that I should gamble on Irvine?

No. I think UCLA is the easy choice here. UCLA and Irvine are part of the same university system and are in the same regional market. If things trend badly for UCLA, they will probably trend even worse for Irvine. Go to UCLA. It's the best law school in the region that you want to practice law in.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:53 am

ogurty wrote:I didn't apply to many schools. I'm set on staying in LA. Will live at home, hubby pays the rent. UCLA is 30 miles away (perhaps the 30 busiest miles of freeway in history), Loyola is 15 miles away and Irvine is 45 miles away. UCI has half tuition scholarship guaranteed (so $18k/yr tuition), UCLA is sticker. Loyola is an afterthought - they offered $22k/yr with strings.

The only thing to think about in this situation is how much UCLA's tuition is going up.

I mean over three years you will owe what, ~$135,000+ in tuition to UCLA?

It's steep.

But on the other hand, new law programs are always gambles to begin with.

(but the guaranteed half tuition is nice)

I'm going to vote the other way from Dignan.

Odds are you won't get "big law (odds are no given person will)," and as such, you would be better off graduating with as little debt as possible.

It's a truly tough one.

(I almost wish you had more options)

taytay

Postby taytay » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:15 am

I personally would choose UCLA because it is already an excellent established school and you want to stay in LA. UCI is risky but it is offset by the tuition scholarship (also not sure the US gov't has all scholarships are taxed as gifts but I am pretty sure the UCI is classified as a gift and is taxed this way) the question is if the money savings is enough to offset the risk for you. this depends on what you want to do w/ your degree however.

tranandy

Postby tranandy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:27 pm

I would choose UCLA in this situation easily. UCLA is going to cost more, but it is the best school in the region and gives you much better career options in Socal and elsewhere.

I would view all the anecdotes about how the sky is falling at UCLA during this recession with a big grain of salt. In the latest NLJ250 placement statistics for 2009, UCLA placed 17th amongst law schools, which is right around where it's always been.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443758843

Year over year, UCLA did not do any worse than almost all the other schools on the list.

Also of note, 25 UCLA grads were promoted to partner last year at NLJ firms. That placed UCLA 9th overall among law schools. Those partners are going to be pushing for UCLA hires in the future. That gives UCLA students a chance to network. UCI has zero partners at any law firm.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443757022

Overall, it appears that UCLA is not performing any worse than most other schools in this recession. Moreover, there's no indication that UCI is doing any better. If anything, I bet that employers would rather hire from a top school in this economy than risk a hire on an up and coming school.

I would also ignore the arguments about UCLA's tuition increases. Tuition is increasing at all the UC's. UCI is not going to be immune. In fact, the tuition increases proposed by the Regents actually will set higher tuition at UCI than UCLA in the coming years.

Unless UCI is going to be free, I really wouldn't take the risk here.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”