Notre Dame v UIUC v Waitlist at a T14?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Notre Dame v UIUC v Waitlist at a T14?

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:10 am

romothesavior wrote:
14yearplan wrote:Wash U

Wash U is as close to T14 you can get and ND and U of I are not in the same league as Wash U--Chicago or otherwise...and this is coming from a Chicagoan and big ND fan. Wash U is the easy choice without any scholarship offers and/or additional info.


I really don't know if I agree with this, and I'm going to WUSTL next fall. Both schools see Chicago as their main feeder city, but I still think UIUC has a slight edge. I definitely don't think it is an "easy choice" between the two.


Wait you're going to WOOStl with only 75k over Cornell?

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Notre Dame v UIUC v Waitlist at a T14?

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:14 am

clint4law wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
arden wrote:If Notre Dame Law is not prestigious, then what hope is there for the rest of us. Desert Fox needs to reel his ego in a bit. I just checked his profile - NU. Explains the ND hate. But the UIUC pumping is a mystery. Undergrad maybe?



Good guess.

I don't hate ND, I'm Irish, from the midwest and was raised Catholic. But we need to be real here.

By every measure ND is a peer of WUSTL and UIUC.


yes, but ND deserves a few extra points for its remarkable alumni connections.


lol. what makes its alumni connections better than others? The fact that it has alumni contact prospective students isn't particularly that convincing (to me, anyway).

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Notre Dame v UIUC v Waitlist at a T14?

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:06 am

arden wrote:If Notre Dame Law is not prestigious, then what hope is there for the rest of us. Desert Fox needs to reel his ego in a bit. I just checked his profile - NU. Explains the ND hate. But the UIUC pumping is a mystery. Undergrad maybe?


:lol:

Haven't you read the boards here? Outside of the top 10%, there really is no hope for landing a biglaw job. That's what people keep failing to understand. With the way the economy is right now, even at a T25 job prospects are slim. You people think law school is a magical ticket to success, that you'll be guaranteed a six figure job to pay off your $180k in debt.

Wake up.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Notre Dame v UIUC v Waitlist at a T14?

Postby fl0w » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:13 am

my old friend clint!

I feel you buddy. I'm trying to work some magic at ND right now. PM me if you want details; it's a pretty cool story.

savetheturtles
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Notre Dame v UIUC v Waitlist at a T14?

Postby savetheturtles » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:00 pm

.
Last edited by savetheturtles on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Notre Dame v UIUC v Waitlist at a T14?

Postby clint4law » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:29 pm

savetheturtles wrote:
woeisme wrote:
clint4law wrote:yes, but ND deserves a few extra points for its remarkable alumni connections.

lol. what makes its alumni connections better than others? The fact that it has alumni contact prospective students isn't particularly that convincing (to me, anyway).

I'm a 1L here and while alumni connections have supposedly been useful to some, they have been pretty useless for me. Even solo places don't seem to want to take me for free. I'm sure the alumni connections are better than a lot of schools, but I wouldn't based that much of my decision on this idea.

starstruck393 wrote:Haven't you read the boards here? Outside of the top 10%, there really is no hope for landing a biglaw job. That's what people keep failing to understand. With the way the economy is right now, even at a T25 job prospects are slim. You people think law school is a magical ticket to success, that you'll be guaranteed a six figure job to pay off your $180k in debt.

Seriously. NALP lists a whole 4 SF and 3 LA offices at OCI (the 3 LA offices are the exact same firms as 3 of the SF ones). NYC? 7 firms + 1 IP. DC? 7 firms. Chicago? 13 firms. That says a lot when firms don't even want to make the 1.5 hour drive out to interview with your students. As you said, top 10-15% is required to have A SHOT at landing a biglaw job, and is by no means a sure thing. If you're only targeting the major markets and you flub the very few interviews you'll get, you're basically screwed even if you are top 10%. If you read some of the anecdotal stories on here about this past OCI, you'll find that people were having trouble in the smaller markets too, where firms were more willing to hire from the local schools.

ND was my absolute dream school and I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out whether to transfer. I love the Catholic foundation and I have a sizable scholarship, but at the end of the day, I need to be employed.


if you don't mind can you disclose your GPA?

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Notre Dame v UIUC v Waitlist at a T14?

Postby fl0w » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 pm

What is the comparison between ND and WUSTL in terms of placement in Chicago?

I mean everyone keeps saying ND has the advantage over WUSTL, but I've not really seen specifics.
I've talked w/ clint about this and it's a tough call.

I'm in @ wustl with 38k/yr and waitlisted at ND. If I can get in at ND w/ similar scholly I really will be torn. But reading TLS makes me think ND would be the easy choice. But then why would I be so torn?

is it just because i went to wustl undergrad and i like living in actual cities? and then there's the fact that my GF is in @ ND's MBA program. maybe i should start my own thread...

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Notre Dame v UIUC v Waitlist at a T14?

Postby clint4law » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:11 am

fl0w wrote:What is the comparison between ND and WUSTL in terms of placement in Chicago?

I mean everyone keeps saying ND has the advantage over WUSTL, but I've not really seen specifics.
I've talked w/ clint about this and it's a tough call.

I'm in @ wustl with 38k/yr and waitlisted at ND. If I can get in at ND w/ similar scholly I really will be torn. But reading TLS makes me think ND would be the easy choice. But then why would I be so torn?

is it just because i went to wustl undergrad and i like living in actual cities? and then there's the fact that my GF is in @ ND's MBA program. maybe i should start my own thread...


you'd be joining the ND family flow....by now buddy you should know the value of that. now hopefully after you get off the WL, ND will show you the $$$




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest