Can't decide on where to accept :/

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Thomas Jefferson (6k Scholarship)
38%
Golden Gate
25%
Widener (DE)
38%

Total votes: 16

mattpen

Can't decide on where to accept :/

Postby mattpen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Hey Everyone,

I've been trying to figure out where I should accept to for Law School and would love everyone's opinion on here. I know this shouldn't be how I'm thinking but my plan is to try and transfer after my first year to a top 100 school that is specialized in what I want to do. As of right now I'm leaning towards environmental law or IP law but I'm not 100%.

I've also been wait listed at Willamette and Vermont. If I get into either of these I'll definitely go to these instead.

What are people's thoughts?

redginseng

Re: Can't decide on where to accept :/

Postby redginseng » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Just don't go GGU. That's all I'm going to say

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Widener is the only one of these three I haven't heard horrible things about. In the end, you should probably pick the one that's the cheapest. I remember reading somewhere on these forums that someone worked at a law firm that wouldn't even look at TJ grads, and I believe their bar passage rate is in the low 40's.

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:32 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Widener is the only one of these three I haven't heard horrible things about. In the end, you should probably pick the one that's the cheapest. I remember reading somewhere on these forums that someone worked at a law firm that wouldn't even look at TJ grads, and I believe their bar passage rate is in the low 40's.

That was me! My boss will throw your resume in the trash if you are a TJ grad. Don't waste your time and money!

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:37 pm

No scholarships to any other than that 6k one?

I'm not trying to be cold-hearted, but unless you already have a legal job lined up (in which case you shouldn't care) your answer is:

Please try again.

Edit: Transferring is not guaranteed, nor is it guaranteed you're going to be able to transfer into anything remotely close to where you want to be graduating and going after PI.

To qualify: I have a pretty shit gpa, but I'm not settling for lower than half tuition scholarship on anything outside the 1st tier (except (BIG) maybe L+C)

Also: is this a flame? I think it might be.
Last edited by erniesto on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattpen

Postby mattpen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:40 pm

erniesto wrote:Also: is this a flame? I think it might be.

No, but you are...?
Last edited by mattpen on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:41 pm

What's your LSAT score? Because retaking it and waiting a year may be a better option. You are going to walk out of school with at least a $60,000 debt (which is a low-ball estimate) and graduating from those schools is going to make it hard to pay back effectively.

So, do you think you could do better on the LSAT and wait a year? Or is it just not an option? I know it would suck... like REALLY suck... but it may be a really good choice if you can make it happen.

mattpen

Postby mattpen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:52 pm

I got a 151, and my LSAC GPA is a 2.7. Both of which I'm really disappointed about, I didn't realize LSAC would calculate my gpa almost .35 lower than my school. I could retake the LSAT later but it wasn't really feasible during the school year because I wouldn't have enough time to study adequately.

Most of the reason my GPA is so low is because I was involved with student government so much in school, which has been good and bad. It was good because I have an amazing resume and also amazing recommendations but working 20, 30, or even 40 hours a week on projects hurt my grades quite a bit.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 pm

erniesto wrote:No scholarships to any other than that 6k one?

I'm not trying to be cold-hearted, but unless you already have a legal job lined up (in which case you shouldn't care) your answer is:

Please try again.

Edit: Transferring is not guaranteed, nor is it guaranteed you're going to be able to transfer into anything remotely close to where you want to be graduating and going after PI.

+1

KimmyGibbler

Postby KimmyGibbler » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Don't go to law school. I'm from Philly and here Widener takes a back seat to Rutgers, Drexel, UPenn, Nova, Temple and all of the top 50 schools located outside of the area. You will make more money as a non-lawyer

roadkilllaw

Postby roadkilllaw » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:00 pm

mattpen wrote:I got a 151, and my LSAC GPA is a 2.7. Both of which I'm really disappointed about, I didn't realize LSAC would calculate my gpa almost .35 lower than my school. I could retake the LSAT later but it wasn't really feasible during the school year because I wouldn't have enough time to study adequately.

Most of the reason my GPA is so low is because I was involved with student government so much in school, which has been good and bad. It was good because I have an amazing resume and also amazing recommendations but working 20, 30, or even 40 hours a week on projects hurt my grades quite a bit.

I thought you said you're a flame like 2 posts above this one

mattpen

Postby mattpen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 pm

KimmyGibbler wrote:Don't go to law school. I'm from Philly and here Widener takes a back seat to Rutgers, Drexel, UPenn, Nova, Temple and all of the top 50 schools located outside of the area. You will make more money as a non-lawyer

Who said I was doing it for the money? That's really number two or three for me. I would like to be able to pay off my debts with it but I don't have dreams of grandeur or living in a giant mansion driving an Escalade.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Listen man... take a year off. Study hard.

If you can do a 151, you can do a 161. If you were to push your LSAT score into the 160+ zone, you would open up a whole new realm of schools. And on top of that, with a whole year, studying to the point of 168+ isn't unrealistic.

Taking one year off and re-taking the LSAT could be a life-altering move. Think about it.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:34 pm

mattpen wrote:
KimmyGibbler wrote:Don't go to law school. I'm from Philly and here Widener takes a back seat to Rutgers, Drexel, UPenn, Nova, Temple and all of the top 50 schools located outside of the area. You will make more money as a non-lawyer

Who said I was doing it for the money? That's really number two or three for me. I would like to be able to pay off my debts with it but I don't have dreams of grandeur or living in a giant mansion driving an Escalade.

This is exactly the problem you might have after graduating.

hth

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:35 pm

It comes down to the fact that almost no one on this website is going to recommend any of those schools. It's your life and your dream. If you're determined to make it happen, then don't let anyone here stop you. Just recognize that everyone is giving the best advice they can, which is going to be retake and try to get into a better school. No matter how many times you pose the question, that's what the people on these forums will tell you. I'm sure there are success stories coming out of all three of those schools, and no reason to think you can't be one of them, just ensure that you are a well informed applicant and know the risks of these degrees.

GGU for example is, I believe, one of the most expensive law schools there is, yet was in danger of losing its ABA accreditation a few years back because of it's low bar passage rate.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:37 pm

mattpen wrote:I got a 151, and my LSAC GPA is a 2.7. Both of which I'm really disappointed about, I didn't realize LSAC would calculate my gpa almost .35 lower than my school. I could retake the LSAT later but it wasn't really feasible during the school year because I wouldn't have enough time to study adequately.

I think the old saying "You ain't goin' anywhere pal," applies here.

Based on your numbers, you are not a very bright person. You don't belong in law school. Any law school. It would be much better if you did something more productive with your life than contribute one more toilet lawyer to our system. Don't go to law school.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Columbia Law wrote:

I think the old saying "You ain't goin' anywhere pal," applies here.

Based on your numbers, you are not a very bright person. You don't belong in law school. Any law school. It would be much better if you did something more productive with your life than contribute one more toilet lawyer to our system. Don't go to law school.

Annnnd it's douche bags like you that everyone can't stand. You sir, are fucking awesome. Go fuck yourself and think about about how your hand is probably smoother than every other hand in a 47 square mile distance. You awesome person you.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Time off between college and law school comes highly recommended even for most of the very elite candidates. Work hard, get a better LSAT score, get a little real world experience, and go to law school stronger than your peers.

Good Luck!!

apper123

Postby apper123 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:34 pm

You need to take a year off and study for the LSAT.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Ok, I feel for the GPA, but you're setting the bar WAY too low for yourself (or maybe not, I don't actually care).

I am going to say this to give you an idea of your competition:

I also have a lowish GPA (you can LSN me) as well. However its higher than yours, by a very good bit. I also -worked- full time from junior to senior year to cover my CoL, while attending full time. I also did a decent amount of campus and community involvement. I also have a pretty stellar resume (worked for a government agency as well, graduated with honors from my department, etc). I also have excellent recommendations too.

Notice the similarities? I'm sure there are thousands like us. Worked our asses off and our GPAs suffered. Though I might have a slight edge because I come from a disadvantaged socioeconomic background and am hispanic and can actually write a meaningful diversity statement to that effect. I'm no T-14er, but I'm going to get T-1 or a large scholarship from T2 (and if I don't, well then fuck it). Why? Because I studied my ass off and scored better than 90% of the other LSAT takers. Now. Could I do better with more time? Most likely, but there is such a thing as diminishing returns, plus I've already been out of UGrad for 2 years.

Again, I don't want to bust your balls but you scored worse than 50% of other LSAT test takers, and that's more likely to screw you up in finding Legal work than your GPA, which can be explained. I'm sure you can do better. These schools are just places who are going to take your money and feed you a JD then let you hope for the best. I suggest you contact some recent alumni who GPA'd at the median and see how they're doing. You might be surprised.

/boredom

Return to “Choosing a Law School”