Wait a year for Texas? Or go to ______ now?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ec2xs

Wait a year for Texas? Or go to ______ now?

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:07 am

So far I've been fortunate enough to have a fairly successful cycle in the school range I'm applying to (ranked 15-50). The one school I've been rejected at (Texas) is far and wide my top choice. Unfortunately, my GPA kept me from getting in. I have some other great opportunities (Wash U, Illinois, SMU) but really had my heart set on Texas.

That being said, would it benefit me to turn down my offers and try again next year? Could I pick up some classes at UT undergrad towards a minor and try to lift up my GPA? Or community college for a more surefire 4.0? It seems like their current GPA cutoff this year is a 3.4, where mine sits at a paltry 3.18. Could I pull this up in two semesters? Is this an insane (and expensive) gamble?

Other factors: I'm 26, and as it stands I'll be finishing school at 30. I'm not sure I want to tack another year on that. I also don't realistically think I'll be able to transfer after first year. But it also allows one more year for the job market to warm up again. I also currently live in Austin.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.
Last edited by ec2xs on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

hiromoto45

Re: Wait a year for Texas? Or go to ______ now?

Postby hiromoto45 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:12 am

ec2xs wrote:So far I've been fortunate enough to have a fairly successful cycle in the school range I'm applying to (ranked 15-50). The one school I've been rejected at (Texas) is far and wide my top choice. Unfortunately, my GPA kept me from getting in. I have some other great opportunities (Wash U, Illinois, SMU) but really had my heart set on Texas.

That being said, would it benefit me to turn down my offers and try again next year? Could I pick up some classes at UT undergrad towards a minor and try to lift up my GPA? Or community college for a more surefire 4.0? It seems like their current GPA cutoff this year is a 3.4, where my sits at a 3.18. Could I pull this up in two semesters? Is this an insane (and expensive) gamble?

Other factors: I'm 26, and as it stands I'll be finishing school at 30. I'm not sure I want to tack another year on that. I also don't realistically think I'll be able to transfer after first year. But it also allows one more year for the job market to warm up again. I also currently live in Austin.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

Transfering after a year is an option.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:13 am

Have you received your first bachelor's degree already? Because if so they stop counting classes for calculating your GPA at that point. Since you're 26 I'm assuming you've already graduated from college, in which case taking additional classes won't change your GPA at all. (I had this same idea.)

You're stuck with the GPA you have, and that means you're never getting into Texas, sorry. Last cycle I had a 3.0/170 and got outright dinged by Texas even while T14s gave me acceptances and waitlists. Raising your LSAT won't help much, and there's likely no way to raise your GPA above the cutoff... unless you haven't graduated from college yet (at 26, wtf?), in which case I'd say hell yes, take the extra classes.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:15 am

I understand that it is, but if I get strong enough grades I imagine I will settle in where I'm at. Big fish in a small pond and all that. Plus, I keep reading that transfers are getting killed in OCIs.

vanwinkle - That answers my question. Graduated in 06. Thanks for the info.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:18 am

ec2xs wrote:vanwinkle - That answers my question. Graduated in 06. Thanks for the info.

I was class of 03! We must have overlapped a little.

Can I recommend you retake the LSAT, get a higher score, and ED to UVA this fall? :wink:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”