Penn State vs Case Western vs Seton Hall

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Case Western Reserve (for $18,450 a year)
6
32%
Penn State (for $13,000 a year)
6
32%
Seton Hall (for $7,980 a year)
7
37%
 
Total votes: 19

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Not sure where to go!

Postby alannak » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:10 am

Thanks everyone.

To nycmba-- I've been thinking a lot about what you said recently, before you said it, hehe, and I am definitely trying to make my decision independent of possibly fleeting relationships.

Newark offered my $6,000 a year. So it definitely moved up. I think right now, it's between Case, Newark, and Penn State. But I still haven't decided, and the 34823048203948203489234 inches of snow outside are preventing me from visiting any place.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Not sure where to go!

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 am

Thats why I didn't apply to any of those schools. The winters would drive me nuts.

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: penn state vs case western!!!!!!!!!

Postby alannak » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi-- I narrowed down my choices to Penn State and Case Western (which bumped my scholarship up a little bit).

I'd really appreciate new opinions; since the poll is from my original post it might be more useful to me if you posted a comment rather than vote, but either way, I really would appreciate any insight you have.

THANKS <3

pantherfan
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: penn state vs case western!!!!!!!!!

Postby pantherfan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:50 pm

I'd say Penn State because it's where I think I'm going and I'm Jewish.

No, but in all seriousness, which campus did you apply to? and what are your leanings?

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: penn state vs case western!!!!!!!!!

Postby alannak » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 pm

anyone else?

sunshinechemist
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:51 pm

Re: penn state vs case western!!!!!!!!!

Postby sunshinechemist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:05 pm

I wouldn't choose Penn State, I have a friend who is a 1L there who is disappointed with the profs. Granted, could be because first year courses are larger, general, etc. Just her opinion.

Also, of my 10+ friends who went there for UG, only 2 seemed to enjoy it (mostly for the party scene there).

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: penn state vs case western!!!!!!!!!

Postby alannak » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:15 pm

sunshinechemist wrote:I wouldn't choose Penn State, I have a friend who is a 1L there who is disappointed with the profs. Granted, could be because first year courses are larger, general, etc. Just her opinion.

Also, of my 10+ friends who went there for UG, only 2 seemed to enjoy it (mostly for the party scene there).


Thanks for the insight-- I just PMed you. :-)

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Penn State vs Case Western vs Seton Hall

Postby alannak » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:08 am

Sorry I keep bumping this but I updated the poll, etc, because I was accepted into Seton Hall and wanted to hear some new opinions. Thanks!

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Penn State vs Case Western vs Seton Hall

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:15 am

I'd pick Case, but only because Seton Hall has poorer job prospects (NJ Traffic Court Clerkships make them look much better than they really are). Beechwood is a suburb pretty near to Case, and it is about 85% Jewish, so there is plenty of that in Cleveland. Plus, and I've said this a ton on TLS, Case is really portable (way beyond its upper T2 rank), especially to NYC and DC. Moreover, they place well into the fields you are most interested in.

Penn State is in a beautiful spot, but I think their ranking has outstripped their actual job prospects, simply because they don't have a home market outside of Harrisburg.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: penn state vs case western!!!!!!!!!

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:34 am

alannak wrote:Hi-- I narrowed down my choices to Penn State and Case Western (which bumped my scholarship up a little bit).

I'd really appreciate new opinions; since the poll is from my original post it might be more useful to me if you posted a comment rather than vote, but either way, I really would appreciate any insight you have.

THANKS <3

How did you get Case to bump your scholarship? I sent them an e-mail asking about it, and we have similar numbers, but never got a response. I feel like case has good job prospects in NY and DC. Yeah, Cleveland sucks, but, it's liveable, and there are tons of jews in Beachwood. Uhm, I'm an undergrad at case, so whatever you want to know about the area. I still don't know a ton about the law school though.

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Penn State vs Case Western vs Seton Hall

Postby alannak » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:53 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:I'd pick Case, but only because Seton Hall has poorer job prospects (NJ Traffic Court Clerkships make them look much better than they really are). Beechwood is a suburb pretty near to Case, and it is about 85% Jewish, so there is plenty of that in Cleveland. Plus, and I've said this a ton on TLS, Case is really portable (way beyond its upper T2 rank), especially to NYC and DC. Moreover, they place well into the fields you are most interested in.

Penn State is in a beautiful spot, but I think their ranking has outstripped their actual job prospects, simply because they don't have a home market outside of Harrisburg.



I happen to be leaning towards Case. I was just researching Seton Hall's employment stats though and I was impressed. I should really be skeptical of 4x% of the class landing clerkships though?

Thanks for your input.. I appreciate it. =]

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Penn State vs Case Western vs Seton Hall

Postby alannak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:34 pm

I visited Seton Hall and it seemed incredibly decent. The school seems to have a bad rep on this website. Can anyone tell me why???????????????????

Case2L
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:05 pm

Re: Penn State vs Case Western vs Seton Hall

Postby Case2L » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:34 pm

alannak wrote:I visited Seton Hall and it seemed incredibly decent. The school seems to have a bad rep on this website. Can anyone tell me why???????????????????


There's a blog out there by a Seton Hall grad, in which the blogger blasts the law school, and it has been posted on numerous law school forums. Maybe someone can post the link; I'm too lazy to try and find it. The fact of the matter is, for every school outside of the T14 (and maybe some T14's) there's going to be some disgruntled alumni who felt cheated out of their money. Seton Hall, and Case and PSU for that matter, are second tier schools and the attitudes towards them by the legal world reflect that. They're not Harvard, but they're not Cooley either. Go to the cheapest school, study hard, and expect to work in the law school's geographic region after graduating.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Penn State vs Case Western vs Seton Hall

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Case2L wrote:
alannak wrote:I visited Seton Hall and it seemed incredibly decent. The school seems to have a bad rep on this website. Can anyone tell me why???????????????????


There's a blog out there by a Seton Hall grad, in which the blogger blasts the law school, and it has been posted on numerous law school forums. Maybe someone can post the link; I'm too lazy to try and find it. The fact of the matter is, for every school outside of the T14 (and maybe some T14's) there's going to be some disgruntled alumni who felt cheated out of their money. Seton Hall, and Case and PSU for that matter, are second tier schools and the attitudes towards them by the legal world reflect that. They're not Harvard, but they're not Cooley either. Go to the cheapest school, study hard, and expect to work in the law school's geographic region after graduating.


As a case kid your supposed to say something encouraging like... you can leave Cleveland.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eliminatorjr, Google [Bot], hermionegranger6, stratton_oakmont and 5 guests