Penn State vs Case Western vs Seton Hall

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Case Western Reserve (for $18,450 a year)
32%
Penn State (for $13,000 a year)
32%
Seton Hall (for $7,980 a year)
37%

Total votes: 19

alannak

Penn State vs Case Western vs Seton Hall

Postby alannak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:45 pm

ONE MORE UPDATE: 4/4/10; I found out I was accepted to Seton Hall with a pretty enticing scholarship.

Hi everyone,

I applied to several schools, and have gotten into quite a few.. the ones that I am still waiting for I either don't especially want to go to , or don't really expect to be accepted.

I'm looking for opinions on the schools I've already been accepted to.

I honestly can't imagine myself in "Big Law" and am well aware that the schools I am choosing from most likely wouldn't provide me that option. I'm sort of interested in criminal law-- either as a prosecutor or defense, but I'm not entirely committed to that.

Also, after visiting Case Western and speaking with the professor in charge of the Heath Law program, I've been thinking a lot about something related to the medical field.

As far as location-- my family is in Queens so I'd like to be living somewhere that wouldn't make it especially difficult or expensive to drop in for a weekend or something if needed. Also I'd like to go somewhere with at least SOME sort of Jewish community- either in the neighboring area or within the law school.

Lastly, I'm sure this sounds silly, but I really want to go to the school where I will get the best possible education (of my choices). My whole life I've gone to very, very large public schools that were supposedly "very good," but I've never had any amazing educational experiences, and am hoping to change that.

Thank you so much for your help. Here are the schools I am most seriously considering:

*Case Western with $22,000/ year (with a 3.15)
*Penn State with $20,000/ year (top 50%)
*Seton Hall with $35,000/year (top 50%)

THANK YOU
Last edited by alannak on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 am, edited 8 times in total.

lawschoolftw

Re: Not sure where to go!

Postby lawschoolftw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:22 pm

alannak wrote:Hi everyone,

I applied to several schools, and have gotten into quite a few.. the ones that I am still waiting for I either don't especially want to go to , or don't really expect to be accepted.

I honestly can't imagine myself in "Big Law" and am well aware that the schools I am choosing from most likely wouldn't provide me that option. I'm sort of interested in criminal law-- either as a prosecutor or defense, but I'm not entirely committed to that.

As far as location-- my family is in Queens so I'd like to be living somewhere that wouldn't make it especially difficult or expensive to drop in for a weekend or something if needed. Also I'm sort of in love with someone who lives in Upstate NY at least for the next couple of years so it would be nice to be close to Upstate NY but am also WELL AWARE that trying to stay near this individual is probably not the smartest motivating factor. Also-- I'd like to go somewhere with at least SOME sort of Jewish community- either in the neighboring area or within the law school.

Lastly, I'm sure this sounds silly, but I really want to go to the school where I will get the best possible education (of my choices). My whole life I've gone to very, very large public schools that were supposedly "very good," but I've never had any amazing educational experiences, and am hoping to change that.

Thank you so much for your help. Here are the schools I am most seriously considering:

*Case Western with $15,000/ year (with a 3.2)
*Penn State with $20,000/ year (with a 3.0)
*Rutgers Camden with $10,000 for the first year, renewable with a 3.5 (but also in state tuition after 1L)-- if I had a 3.5 though I'd probably consider transferring
*Rugters Newark (In state tution)
*SUNY Buffalo with $5,000/year
*Syracuse with $33,000/year (it's very close the person I mentioned earlier =\ )

I'm wait listed at Cardozo and American but obviously don't have my hopes up; I'm still waiting to hear back from Ohio State U and Fordham part time (not holding my breath for either). (160/3.6)

THANK YOU

Tough situation, I wouldn't give up home on American, although I'm not sure you'd want to pay sticker for American anyway (they never offer money). With your options I'd choose UB. It's a much better school that SU and much cheaper and better job prospects. You would be far from your significant other. but it would only be a couple hrs. Even with that scholarship at SU your still prob looking at almost 100k worth of loans when you add in COL. That schol requirement is rediculous at Rutgers-Camden. If you don't know where you want to practice I'd say UB is your best bet. IF you want to go back close to home than one of the Rutgers
might be your best bet. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Edit:: I don't know much about Case Western, therefore that may still be a strong consideration.

alannak

Postby alannak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:44 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:Tough situation, I wouldn't give up home on American, although I'm not sure you'd want to pay sticker for American anyway (they never offer money). With your options I'd choose UB. It's a much better school that SU and much cheaper and better job prospects. You would be far from your significant other. but it would only be a couple hrs. Even with that scholarship at SU your still prob looking at almost 100k worth of loans when you add in COL. That schol requirement is rediculous at Rutgers-Camden. If you don't know where you want to practice I'd say UB is your best bet. IF you want to go back close to home than one of the Rutgers

Edit:: I don't know much about Case Western, therefore that may still be a strong consideration.

Thanks a lot. I've kind of been trying to avoid Buffalo (if you couldn't guess I go to a SUNY now) for probably no good reason. I think I'll visit it and try to consider it with an open mind. :-)

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 pm

There's a sizable Jewish community in the Syracuse/ Manlius/ Fayetteville area. That part of upstate is not bad at all. Congrats on all the scholarship money you got from the school :)

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:13 am

alannak wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:Tough situation, I wouldn't give up home on American, although I'm not sure you'd want to pay sticker for American anyway (they never offer money). With your options I'd choose UB. It's a much better school that SU and much cheaper and better job prospects. You would be far from your significant other. but it would only be a couple hrs. Even with that scholarship at SU your still prob looking at almost 100k worth of loans when you add in COL. That schol requirement is rediculous at Rutgers-Camden. If you don't know where you want to practice I'd say UB is your best bet. IF you want to go back close to home than one of the Rutgers

Thanks a lot. I've kind of been trying to avoid Buffalo (if you couldn't guess I go to a SUNY now) for probably no good reason. I think I'll visit it and try to consider it with an open mind. :-)

I hear ya I attend a SUNY school as well, although I have nothing to complain about regarding my experience. Buffalo can be a rough place but it really is a great deal for its cost.

alannak

Postby alannak » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:38 am

Thanks everyone. I see Newark has the most votes-- can anyone make a case for it over the others? Is it because it's close to NYC? =]

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the feedback.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:11 am

I'd probably say go to Newark too because it is close to NYC. I'm not in love with Newark or Camden, both schools are pretty good but I personally hate the cold (So Buffalo is out right there, damn just can't imagine that weather) and from what I have read Newark and Camden are far from the best places to live. However from your options I would take Newark since you are paying in state tuition and its proximity to NYC could help with the Jewish community interest you have. What are the stipulations for the Syracuse scholarship money?

As for your sweetheart I wouldn't worry about it if you are only a few hours away. You can still see them on weekends rather easily and that leaves you the week days to focus on school during that first year.

Also if you want to practice criminal law you should try to limit debt, if that is a concern for you. I also am interested in criminal law as my BA and MA are in Criminology. Best of luck with school! I am also debating some options currently and may post a thread similar to this in the future, just with warmer weather schools.

TracyLynn

Postby TracyLynn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:38 am

I was reading this post since I applied to a few of the same schools and wanted to throw my two cents in.

First of all, I attended a SUNY for undergrad and know the feeling of wanting to shake it up for law school. Like you, I applied to UB, but I am a native Buffalonian. Even with all the offers I'll get from other schools, UB is still probably going to be the best value. Buffalo is snowy--but believe me no colder than Syracuse, Binghamton, etc. I went to visit UB recently and found the students to be friendly. It also didn't seem to be very cutthroat there. I know they don't rank students (I don't know if that affects your decision).

UB dominates the Buffalo market and a few upstate markets. When I talked to an admissions rep, she said they have a sizable alumni base in NYC, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. My biggest reservations about attending UB is being "stuck" in Buffalo because of its reputation. Other than that, everything seems great-- low cost of living, clinics, some trendy areas (North Buffalo) and of course the unbelievably low cost.

Sorry for my rambling!! Hope this kinda helps!

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:42 am

Not to offend the person who posted above, but I'm a Long Islander who has spent the last several years in upstate NY and I find it virtually intolerable. Even though you think you're getting NY still, you might as well be in Ohio. And its freezing. I heard UB is relatively easy and might place OK upstate, but I wouldn't count on it going very far back in NYC.

TracyLynn

Postby TracyLynn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:47 am

Oh I agree that upstate weather is ridiculous..i just meant it terms of syracuse v. buffalo..syracuse is probably colder. I'm sure that long island is nicer than up here in the tundra.

I also agree that NYC isn't too probable with a UB J.D. which is one my biggest reservations about attending.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:12 am

I voted Penn State. If you don't care where you want to practice you may as well learn from some top Professors, as they were recently stolen from top schools across the nation in an attempt to boost Penn States ranking.

alannak

Postby alannak » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:I voted Penn State. If you don't care where you want to practice you may as well learn from some top Professors, as they were recently stolen from top schools across the nation in an attempt to boost Penn States ranking.

That's interesting and definitely a major plus. One of the things that made me a little uneasy about Penn State is that I couldn't figure out exactly where graduates find employment.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 pm

alannak wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:I voted Penn State. If you don't care where you want to practice you may as well learn from some top Professors, as they were recently stolen from top schools across the nation in an attempt to boost Penn States ranking.

That's interesting and definitely a major plus. One of the things that made me a little uneasy about Penn State is that I couldn't figure out exactly where graduates find employment.

I don't think they really have a market, basically grads get in where they can fit in. That will change one day for no other reason than Penn State is now apart of their name.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:37 pm

What a tough decision. I'm torn between Syracuse and Buffalo. In the end I voted for Syracuse because....
(1) while UB is ranked higher, Syracuse seems to have a stronger national reputation (unique given its TTT/lower TT placement). It also places just as well as UB in NYC.
(2) Also $33K is quite a bit of money. That's at least 70% of the tuition. Buffalo is cheaper, but $5K is barely 1/3 of tuition.
(3) The first year of law school is difficult socially (from what I've heard). If the person you're in love with is close-by, why not attend a school that would enable you to be near some sort of support network.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but did you check on what kind of stipulations are attached to your scholarship offers? Is the money guaranteed for all three years? If it definitely is, then I would pick Syracuse; as someone mentioned above, although they are technically ranked lower than UB, the name carries more prestige. I also think Syracuse has a (marginally) better quality life than Buffalo (which, by the way, was just voted by Forbes as one of the top ten most miserable cities in the US).

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:09 pm

jk11287 wrote:I'm sure you're already aware of this, but did you check on what kind of stipulations are attached to your scholarship offers? Is the money guaranteed for all three years? If it definitely is, then I would pick Syracuse; as someone mentioned above, although they are technically ranked lower than UB, the name carries more prestige. I also think Syracuse has a (marginally) better quality life than Buffalo (which, by the way, was just voted by Forbes as one of the top ten most miserable cities in the US).

Only place I can think of worse to live than Buffalo right now is Flint Michigan.

alannak

Postby alannak » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:17 pm

jk11287 wrote:I'm sure you're already aware of this, but did you check on what kind of stipulations are attached to your scholarship offers? Is the money guaranteed for all three years? If it definitely is, then I would pick Syracuse; as someone mentioned above, although they are technically ranked lower than UB, the name carries more prestige. I also think Syracuse has a (marginally) better quality life than Buffalo (which, by the way, was just voted by Forbes as one of the top ten most miserable cities in the US).

Syrcause's scholarship requires a 3.0.

Thanks for your input. :)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Rutgers-Newark. There is a HUGE Jewish community in North Jersey and they are a very big PI school.

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:44 pm

Penn State. Solid school, on the way up, and will be just as strong in the NY market if you want to return there.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:57 pm

As far as location-- my family is in Queens so I'd like to be living somewhere that wouldn't make it especially difficult or expensive to drop in for a weekend or something if needed. Also I'm sort of in love with someone who lives in Upstate NY at least for the next couple of years so it would be nice to be close to Upstate NY but am also WELL AWARE that trying to stay near this individual is probably not the smartest motivating factor. Also-- I'd like to go somewhere with at least SOME sort of Jewish community- either in the neighboring area or within the law school.

THANK YOU

lol The hot fuking buddy u were talking about the other day?

alannak

Postby alannak » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:58 pm

baboon309 wrote:

THANK YOU

lol The hot fuking buddy u were talking about the other day?

unfortunately, yes. <3

alannak

Postby alannak » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:09 am

Is Newark really a good school??? Or is it just popular on this site because it's perceived as inexpensive in comparison to "peer" schools in the region?

BasketCaseBrief

Postby BasketCaseBrief » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 am

At first I was thinking Penn State because of its rank and high quality, but particularly because you want to live upstate close to this friend of yours, I'm guessing you also would be most likely to choose a career there, since you also seem aware that you're not going into BigLaw and that NYC may be a bit much. I chose Syracuse because with all the aforementioned, even though it's not ranked very high, it places very well in upstate NY, particularly in Syracuse. There is a quite decent Jewish population in the immediate area as someone else mentioned. Even though UB is ranked higher than Syr, they aren't giving you any money, whereas Syracuse is giving you the best bang for your buck at about 60-70% of tuition covered. It's the better financial decision since you likely won't be looking at a very high income after graduation to cover the debt you would accumulate by going to UB.

Penn State seems place best in central in western PA, probably some places in upper MD and far eastern OH, but upstate NY seems to be run by UB and Syr, though I'm not sure how well a Penn State law degree would place in Syracuse territory. Of course if you manage to squeeze into Fordham all the rest goes out the window.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:45 am

alannak wrote:Is Newark really a good school??? Or is it just popular on this site because it's perceived as inexpensive in comparison to "peer" schools in the region?

They placed about 15% grads in big law before the crisis. That number is much better than a lot of t1s such as CAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaardozo or American.

nycmba

Postby nycmba » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 pm

As a non-trad applicant, the only advice that I feel qualified to give is that you should NOT make any law school decisions based on the location of your significant other unless you are married.

I've already been through a demanding MBA program and have seen way too many relationships crash due to the demands of time and geography.

Quite frankly, if he or she is into you they'll follow you anywhere.

And if not...then he or she wasn't worth it anyway. There will be plenty of opportunities at whatever school you end up at. The bigger the school (or university) the better the dating pool. One the fringe benefits of earning a graduate degree is that is great catnip for dating.

Best of luck with your decision.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”