Richmond v. McGeorge (25,000k/year + books)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawlife2010
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Richmond v. McGeorge (25,000k/year + books)

Postby lawlife2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:18 pm

So I am assuming I will get into more, higher ranked schools as both of these were safties for me, but they are the first I have heard back from. I may be getting a 10k-15k/year scholarship from RIchmond, but let's just assume for now that I would be paying sticker.
I am inclined to think that Richmond isn't highly ranked enough to justify spending sticker there when I can get a near to free legal education at McGeorge, which isn't too much lower ranked, but nonetheless is. What do you guys think?
I really wanted to move away from CA for law school over to the VA/DC area, but I think I could be happy in Sacramento. WOuld MCGeorge give me the possibility of mobility across the country if I'm in the very top of my class? I'm guessing not, but you never know, they did lose Justice Kennedy to the Supreme Court. =)
I'd love to hear what everyone thinks and what they would do in this situation. Some more will be thrown to the mix likely, but if I were only in at these two, what should I choose?

User avatar
BigFatPanda
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 am

Re: Richmond v. McGeorge (25,000k/year + books)

Postby BigFatPanda » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:29 pm

Be patient and wait for William and Mary. American or GMU are just too expensive.
And yes, i completely miss the main issue (because you are not going to those schools).

lawlife2010
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Richmond v. McGeorge (25,000k/year + books)

Postby lawlife2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:12 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:Be patient and wait for William and Mary. American or GMU are just too expensive.
And yes, i completely miss the main issue (because you are not going to those schools).


Thanks this is what I needed to hear. =)
William and Mary is a bit of a reach, but we'll see. Would you pay sticker at W&M over McGeorge with the scholarship.
Isn't GMU relatively cheaper?

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Richmond v. McGeorge (25,000k/year + books)

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:14 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:Be patient and wait for William and Mary. American or GMU are just too expensive.
And yes, i completely miss the main issue (because you are not going to those schools).


Up to your old tricks, I see? The king of advice!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Richmond v. McGeorge (25,000k/year + books)

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:19 pm

DC is a completely saturated legal market, and the economy is just making things worse. You have to keep in mind that kids who go to Harvard and Yale and other top schools also want into the DC market, you're competing with the entire world to get there. Not everyone at UVA this year that wanted work in DC found it, that's how bad it is right now.

I still don't regret coming to UVA since it's a degree that's valuable in many other markets, but I would caution anyone who's looking at going to a local VA school with the intent of getting into the DC market to think very carefully about what they're doing. Going to any local/regional school (including W&M) is going to severely constrain your options if you can't find work in DC, which you likely won't be able to do.

User avatar
BigFatPanda
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 am

Re: Richmond v. McGeorge (25,000k/year + books)

Postby BigFatPanda » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:38 pm

lawlife2010 wrote:Thanks this is what I needed to hear. =)
William and Mary is a bit of a reach, but we'll see. Would you pay sticker at W&M over McGeorge with the scholarship.
Isn't GMU relatively cheaper?


GMU isn't known for its generosity in scholarship so its going to be very expensive for out of state applicants. Further, W&M pretty much give every qualified admits some sort of fellowship to offset the tuition so it would be reasonable in term of cost. Lastly, W&M has a fairly decent national name brand and may give u a glimer of hope in term of jobs in DC.

King of advice up to old tricks again, take it and make up your own damn mind. Over and out.

lawlife2010
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Richmond v. McGeorge (25,000k/year + books)

Postby lawlife2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:50 pm

vanwinkle wrote:DC is a completely saturated legal market, and the economy is just making things worse. You have to keep in mind that kids who go to Harvard and Yale and other top schools also want into the DC market, you're competing with the entire world to get there. Not everyone at UVA this year that wanted work in DC found it, that's how bad it is right now.

I still don't regret coming to UVA since it's a degree that's valuable in many other markets, but I would caution anyone who's looking at going to a local VA school with the intent of getting into the DC market to think very carefully about what they're doing. Going to any local/regional school (including W&M) is going to severely constrain your options if you can't find work in DC, which you likely won't be able to do.


I do not necessarily want to live in DC. I'm leaning more towards living somewhere in VA, since I loved it. I do think that it would be cool to spend law school in DC though because of the opportunities.

lawlife2010
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Richmond v. McGeorge (25,000k/year + books)

Postby lawlife2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Would it be difficult to find a job in VA with a JD from Mason?
Well, I suppose I'll post another thread when I know my full options.
Regardless of how much I am offered, if I am accepted to W&M, that'll be my choice I think.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests