NYU vs. Columbia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jammybaby

New

NYU vs. Columbia

Post by jammybaby » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:09 am

So I got into both schools and I am trying to decide between them. I am leaning towards NYU for quality of life / cutting-edge nature of courses / location / student body / partnership with business school but Columbia for legacy / tradition. I will go visit both and learn more, but I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions as to how these two schools stack up against each other. Thanks!

dwoof

New

Re: NYU vs. Columbia

Post by dwoof » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:23 am

I'm not quite sure what you mean by location. Aren't they only about a 20 minute train ride apart?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:27 am

dwoof wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean by location. Aren't they only about a 20 minute train ride apart?
Yes, but in very different neighborhoods.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:31 am

jammybaby wrote:So I got into both schools and I am trying to decide between them. I am leaning towards NYU for quality of life / cutting-edge nature of courses / location / student body / partnership with business school but Columbia for legacy / tradition. I will go visit both and learn more, but I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions as to how these two schools stack up against each other. Thanks!
The difference is Columbia goes significantly further outside of NYC and negligibly further in NYC. So, it largely depends on your post law school plans. They are similar enough though that you should probably pick more on campus/community feel than prospects.

facetious

Bronze

Post by facetious » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:36 am

jammybaby wrote:So I got into both schools and I am trying to decide between them. I am leaning towards NYU for quality of life / cutting-edge nature of courses / location / student body / partnership with business school but Columbia for legacy / tradition. I will go visit both and learn more, but I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions as to how these two schools stack up against each other. Thanks!
good thread on this question, with renzo and badfish chiming in: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=105942

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:39 am

kittenmittons wrote:
The difference is Columbia goes significantly further outside of NYC and negligibly further NYC. So, it largely depends on your post law school plans. They are similar enough though that you should probably pick more on campus/community feel than prospects.
I don't know because I am not a student at either one (yet) but this seems to be the impression people have of it. Of course, according to the write ups on TLS (I don't have hard data) it seems roughly the same amount of people from each go west after graduation. I have a hunch the people who say that Columbia's name extends further don't know what they are talking about and are regurgitating things they have heard. You should talk to current students on yoru visit and alumns if you can. Personally, I would probably take Columbia but not for these reasons.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”