Chillest top law schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Muckduck

Bronze

Re: Chillest top law schools

Post by Muckduck » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:44 am

Lawyers joke that Yale law students do nothing but read novels all day. Once you're in you get to cooooooooooooooast into some lovely jobs. If you work you get to clerk somewhere fancy. That's pretty chill.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:49 am

prezidentv8 wrote:How is Duke not in this thread yet? We are the chillest law school, by far.
We are all too busy being the chillest cats on the planet to advertise. Seriously, when you are this awesome, when are you going to find time to talk about it? That is less time being awesome.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 am

Bosque wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:How is Duke not in this thread yet? We are the chillest law school, by far.
We are all too busy being the chillest cats on the planet to advertise. Seriously, when you are this awesome, when are you going to find time to talk about it? That is less time being awesome.
I mean, have you seen my mustache and my bowling skillz lately? How can you argue with that?! Damn I'm awesome.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:58 am

1) smoke weed
2) chill
3) ?????
4) profit

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:00 pm

eml256 wrote:
postitnotes wrote: The people I know who ended up at UCLA are really uptight, and also into celebrities and living the "LA lifestyle."
Is that generally true? I'm not trying to question you, but I'm very interested in UCLA and the environment you described sounds awful.

Yeah. I know a Michigan 2L who transferred from UCLA partly because he didn't like the culture. He mentioned that everyone at UCLA is "celebrity-obsessed." There are a lot of "clubbing types" (not bar going types) at UCLA and the women are into fashion and brand names. The people I know who ended up there loved saying "living the LA life, baby" and wearing baseball caps backwards to look cool (not making this up as silly as this sounds). It's pretty much expected though, it's Southern California.
Last edited by postitnotes on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thestoryends

New

Post by thestoryends » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:00 pm

postitnotes wrote:
eml256 wrote:
postitnotes wrote: The people I know who ended up at UCLA are really uptight, and also into celebrities and living the "LA lifestyle."

Is that generally true? I'm not trying to question you, but I'm very interested in UCLA and the environment you described sounds awful.

Yeah. I know a Michigan 2L who transferred from UCLA partly because he didn't like the culture. He mentioned that everyone at UCLA is "celebrity-obsessed." There are a lot of "clubbing types" (not bar going types) at UCLA and the women are into fashion and brand names. The people I know who ended up there loved saying "living the LA life, baby" and wearing baseball caps backwards to look cool (not making this up as silly as this sounds). It's expected though, it's Southern California.
that sounds hellish. usc any different?

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:06 pm

thestoryends wrote:
postitnotes wrote:
eml256 wrote:

Yeah. I know a Michigan 2L who transferred from UCLA partly because he didn't like the culture. He mentioned that everyone at UCLA is "celebrity-obsessed." There are a lot of "clubbing types" (not bar going types) at UCLA and the women are into fashion and brand names. The people I know who ended up there loved saying "living the LA life, baby" and wearing baseball caps backwards to look cool (not making this up as silly as this sounds). It's expected though, it's Southern California.
that sounds hellish. usc any different?
I know less about USC, but I know a couple people who go there. One girl seems pretty cool and I liked her a lot. The stereotype in California, which is genuinely true, is that it is a school full of rich kids. From my interactions with USC students, this is pretty accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if the "celeb-liking" culture were also an aspect of USC though, simply because a lot of celebs go there and because, well, it's in LA. Btw, the nicknames for the two schools in CA are the "University of Caucasians Lost Among Asians" and the "University of Spoiled Children." I guess that kind of gives you guys a somewhat humorous perspective of what CAers think.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:11 pm

kittenmittons wrote:1) smoke weed
2) chill
3) ?????
4) profit
I would be interested to see a running total of how many times you have posted numbered lists that end in "profit." I laugh every time.

bitlrc

Bronze

Post by bitlrc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:11 pm

probably tucker max's fault somehow

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm

postitnotes wrote: I know less about USC, but I know a couple people who go there. One girl seems pretty cool and I liked her a lot. The stereotype in California, which is genuinely true, is that it is a school full of rich kids. From my interactions with USC students, this is pretty accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if the "celeb-liking" culture were also an aspect of USC though, simply because a lot of celebs go there and because, well, it's in LA. Btw, the nicknames for the two schools in CA are the "University of Caucasians Lost Among Asians" and the "University of Spoiled Children." I guess that kind of gives you guys a somewhat humorous perspective of what CAers think.
Also: University of Second Choice.

runn3rs

New

Post by runn3rs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm

There hasn't been nearly enough discussion of UVA as a top-tier party school. Feb club?

http://febclub.blogspot.com/

Any school that has an annual Arrested Development-themed party has to be amongst the chillest top law schools. The beer-and-softball culture doesn't hurt either.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:16 pm

cubswin wrote:
postitnotes wrote: I know less about USC, but I know a couple people who go there. One girl seems pretty cool and I liked her a lot. The stereotype in California, which is genuinely true, is that it is a school full of rich kids. From my interactions with USC students, this is pretty accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if the "celeb-liking" culture were also an aspect of USC though, simply because a lot of celebs go there and because, well, it's in LA. Btw, the nicknames for the two schools in CA are the "University of Caucasians Lost Among Asians" and the "University of Spoiled Children." I guess that kind of gives you guys a somewhat humorous perspective of what CAers think.
Also: University of Second Choice.
True, can't forget that one.

My fave out of the UCs is probably UCSB's. University of Casual Sex and Beer.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Surely there are the chill-on-the-beach, sip some brews, get outdoors types at UCLA right? Or is it really just all people into fashion and clubs? That's pretty crucial information.

So it sounds like the confirmed chill schools are Michigan, UVA, Texas, Duke, and possibly Yale (irrelevant for most), Stanford (see Yale), Cal, UCLA, USC, and UW.

How about Vandy? Penn, GTown, UNC, Emory, GW?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:40 pm

cubswin wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:1) smoke weed
2) chill
3) ?????
4) profit
I would be interested to see a running total of how many times you have posted numbered lists that end in "profit." I laugh every time.
1) profile
2) search user's posts
3) scroll
4) ?????
5) profit

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:45 pm

I know Yale probably has the reputation for just being a bunch of overachieving nerds and whatnot, but people party here a pretty good bit. When you take the onus of grades off the student body, they tend to do a lot more drinking during the semester :P

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:25 pm

heyguys wrote:I know Yale probably has the reputation for just being a bunch of overachieving nerds and whatnot, but people party here a pretty good bit. When you take the onus of grades off the student body, they tend to do a lot more drinking during the semester :P
Nerd.

luhrenzo

Bronze

Post by luhrenzo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:30 pm

what sort of reputation does vandy have as far as QOL goes?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tranandy

New

Post by tranandy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:23 pm

whitman wrote:Surely there are the chill-on-the-beach, sip some brews, get outdoors types at UCLA right? Or is it really just all people into fashion and clubs? That's pretty crucial information.

So it sounds like the confirmed chill schools are Michigan, UVA, Texas, Duke, and possibly Yale (irrelevant for most), Stanford (see Yale), Cal, UCLA, USC, and UW.

How about Vandy? Penn, GTown, UNC, Emory, GW?
There are plenty of laid-back, beach-going, pacifico drinking, bbq loving, volleyball playing, weed smoking, videogame playing, sports loving, get up early for surf, leave class early for skiing people at UCLA. Just like there are plenty of people at UCLA who like to spend weekends in Vegas, clubbing on the Sunset Strip, or checking out the latest clothes. The entire spectrum was there while I was there. As a student, you generally find the activities you like and find like-minded people to do it with and let others do their thing.

I don't think it's fair to stereotype any school based on a few anecdotes on this board. I bet most students just adapt to their surroundings when they get to law school. Just pick a school where the surroundings are to your liking. If you like football, Michigan might be good for you. If you like softball, UVA might be good. If you like clubbing, then opportunities are better at UCLA, USC, Columbia and NYU than UM, UVA or Cornell. But I wouldn't warn someone not to go to any of those schools if they are not the "clubbing" type, "football" type or "softball" type. It's just that certain activities are more widely available at some schools versus others.

One thing I know for sure though, every law school is the drinking type. Law students and lawyers love to drink.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:25 pm

tranandy wrote:
One thing I know for sure though, every law school is the drinking type. Law students and lawyers love to drink.

I think this is true of people in all professions in all places.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:27 pm

adameus wrote:
tranandy wrote:

I think this is true of people in all professions in all places.
Those priests and nuns love to throw down them brewskis.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:39 pm

Pepperdine is in Malibu. Too bad they're all religious, right-wing nut-jobs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:45 am

mhd08 wrote:For T1, I'd definitely think Colorado. Especially if you're looking for good outdoors stuff. Yes?
+1 CU gets my vote.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:12 am

traehekat wrote:
mhd08 wrote:For T1, I'd definitely think Colorado. Especially if you're looking for good outdoors stuff. Yes?
+1 CU gets my vote.
Yeah, but it's very regional right? So you'd pretty much be looking at Denver and that's about it? Denver is sweet, but that's pretty limiting.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:29 pm

Last edited by Doritos on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”