Arizona vs. Arizona State Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cLams

Bronze

Re: Arizona vs. Arizona State

Post by cLams » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:00 am

darknightbegins wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:--ImageRemoved--
For the win
Ha ha this is hilarious. I must admit there are a ton of hot girls at ASU (went here for undergrad, I've seen them) but UArizona has many to chose from as well.

1. Hot Girls: Draw (with a lean towards ASU).
2. Portability: UArizona.
3. Rank: Arizona.
4. Phoenix market: Draw (with a lean towards UArizona).

I'd go with UA!

hausoian878

New

Post by hausoian878 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:12 am

cLams wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
For the win
Ha ha this is hilarious. I must admit there are a ton of hot girls at ASU (went here for undergrad, I've seen them) but UArizona has many to chose from as well.

I'd go with UA!

Really? Everything I've ever read or heard suggests that ASU is better in Phoenix while most people from UA who stay in Arizona are split between Phoenix and Tucson.

I guess to a certain degree I'm just splitting hairs.

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:17 am

hausoian878 wrote:
cLams wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
For the win

I'd go with UA!

Really? Everything I've ever read or heard suggests that ASU is better in Phoenix while most people from UA who stay in Arizona are split between Phoenix and Tucson.

I guess to a certain degree I'm just splitting hairs.
Yeah, from everything I've heard UA students generally do not have a more difficult time getting work in Phoenix than ASU students. A lot of UA students end up practicing in Tucson, but I haven't heard of many UA students looking for work in Phoenix who were unable to get it over ASU students. The UA definitely has a better reputation in the state overall. From my understanding, tons of UA students complete their summer internships in Phoenix. I've lived in Phoenix most of my life and am a loyal ASU alum, but if I decide to stay in state, I will absolutely be heading down to Tucson!

LSAT N00b

New

Post by LSAT N00b » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:18 am

Yes. Yes. Yes. No. Yes. Yes. Yes.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:23 am

LSAT N00b wrote:
+1. She hasn't bleached her hair yet and her tan isn't dark enough. And lack of fake boobs is bothersome. Fail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mposner

New

Post by mposner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:20 pm

[/quote]

I'd go with UA![/quote]

I guess to a certain degree I'm just splitting hairs.[/quote]

Yeah, from everything I've heard UA students generally do not have a more difficult time getting work in Phoenix than ASU students. A lot of UA students end up practicing in Tucson, but I haven't heard of many UA students looking for work in Phoenix who were unable to get it over ASU students. The UA definitely has a better reputation in the state overall. From my understanding, tons of UA students complete their summer internships in Phoenix. I've lived in Phoenix most of my life and am a loyal ASU alum, but if I decide to stay in state, I will absolutely be heading down to Tucson![/quote]

I am a 1L at ASU and was wrestling with this decision last year. I believe instate the schools are equal reputation; some firms might favor one school or another because of where their attorneys are from. I have a couple of friends at UA, and they like it. However, they spend every spare moment in Phoenix as opposed to Tucson. I think it depends on where you want to live. ASU's numbers have gone up a bit and are now about equal to UA. I really think both schools are equal. UA gets the slightly better rank. ASU gets to be the only major law school in Phoenix, which is very convenient. Let me know if you have any questions I can answer.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:10 am

I'm a Phoenix native.

There is a pretty big rivalry between these two schools. While the UA law school ranks slightly better than ASU, UA undergrad is vastly better academically. ASU has some pretty reputable graduate programs, but in terms of Phoenix-wide respect, this definitely goes to U of A because most of their grads return to Phoenix. My friend played for one of the U of A teams here so I bought a t-shirt for some fundraiser, and every time I wear it I get heckled by Sun Devils passing by. Confuses me every time, because its just another shirt in the drawer (went to CA for UG).

As for the women, the girls at U of A are just as gorgeous, have less spray tan, and are much more likely to date a somewhat boring law student. Those chicks in those pictures are usually into meatheads with barbed wire tattoos. It's hard having a conversation with these sorority chicks as Jersey Shore is their life. They don't watch it, they live it.

All of that said, I applied to ASU and not U of A. I have a girlfriend here, and I would like to practice in Phoenix so I'm thinking it would be a good investment to buy a condo to live in for the next 7-9 years or so. Also, Tucson is boring as sh1t. No way I could live there. It is a college town, and all of my friends seemed to like it, but I am just too used Phoenix to want to live in that dump for 3 years. And Phoenix is probably more like 10 degrees hotter.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:26 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:While the UA law school ranks slightly better than ASU, UA undergrad is vastly better academically.
IDK, man. All Arizona state schools admit virtually everyone who's a resident with an 1100+ SAT (on the old scale) and have over 80% acceptance rates. To say one school is "vastly" better than the other is definitely pushing it.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:38 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:While the UA law school ranks slightly better than ASU, UA undergrad is vastly better academically.
IDK, man. All Arizona state schools admit virtually everyone who's a resident with an 1100+ SAT (on the old scale) and have over 80% acceptance rates. To say one school is "vastly" better than the other is definitely pushing it.
Did you go to high school in Arizona? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I would just be really surprised if you did and still believe what you just said.

Typically the "smartest" kids in a given high school go to U of A, the next crop goes to ASU, and the dull kids go to NAU and claim there's something special about it they like. Is this a generalization? Absolutely. I would even say that the very smartest kids these days go to the Barrett Honors College at ASU. And if you're really smart, you get the hell out of dodge and go out of state.

But this is institutionalized. The prices and admissions requirements of the three schools go up in accordance with their overall ranking. (Edited for accuracy)
Last edited by quickquestionthanks on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:17 am

It really comes down to whether you want to spend 3 years in Tucson or in Phoenix. The cities are vastly different so if you like one city you'll most likely hate the other. I personally am all about Tucson, but I understand how others prefer Phoenix.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:36 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
LSAT N00b wrote:
+1. She hasn't bleached her hair yet and her tan isn't dark enough. And lack of fake boobs is bothersome. Fail.

Really? Really?! Guys will never understand how hard they make it for women in the workplace, or in this case, law school. Women are so poorly treated, unintentionally or not.

ASU= AMAZING horse market, UA not as much so but still close. This probably fails to help anyone except the guys looking for women. Hint: most girls loveee horses, if you can stand the delicious smell

AronJW

New

Post by AronJW » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:44 am

I'm an Arizona native and feel like I have to put in my two cents:

Overall, UA has a better academic reputation. For decades, ASU was considered a second rate school, but in recent years, it has grown tremendously (now one of the largest universities in the country) and its graduate school has a stellar reputation. I still think that UA is considered the better overall academic institution, but in terms of law schools, they're really about equal. I have friends at both ASU and UA law schools, and frankly, it's all about the same.

As someone who went to high school in AZ, I can definitely attest to the reputation of UA, but ASU is certainly gaining respect, and I would expect that in the near future, it will be the more prominent school in most respects. Their business school is excellent, the UG honors college is extremely good, and their collaboration with the Mayo Clinic brings a much needed medical school to Phoenix, and this addition seems to do quite a lot to improve the reputation of ASU's science offerings.

Personally, I'm probably going to go to ASU for law school, but that choice is based entirely off the availability of the dual degree program I'm looking for.

Particularly for someone who wants to practice in Arizona, there is really no difference. I have to agree with the consensus and say pick the city you like better. Phoenix is huge and has a wide variety of things to offer, but Tucson is really quite nice, despite its reputation as a dump. If you're into outdoor recreation like mountain biking, there is no better place in the country than Tucson.

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Thought I'd revive this thread since it looks like ASU has made a major jump in 2011 USNWR rankings (from 55 to 38), leapfrogging UA (42). We'll find out in a couple of days if the below link is the real deal. Whether this will mean anything to AZ employers, remains to be seen.

--LinkRemoved--

Entire scan here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49285543@N07/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Close Diamond wrote:Thought I'd revive this thread since it looks like ASU has made a major jump in 2011 USNWR rankings (from 55 to 38), leapfrogging UA (42). We'll find out in a couple of days if the below link is the real deal. Whether this will mean anything to AZ employers, remains to be seen.

--LinkRemoved--

Entire scan here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49285543@N07/
It won't affect anything in terms of hiring.

The biggest firms in Phoenix will continue to only interview the top ~5% (this might be generous, ITE) of students at each school. Smaller firms will continue to hire students from the partners' alma maters.

It takes a long time for hiring trends to catch up to rankings.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:57 pm

RVP11 wrote: It won't affect anything in terms of hiring.

The biggest firms in Phoenix will continue to only interview the top ~5% (this might be generous, ITE) of students at each school.
:cry: sad but true

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”