Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
td6624

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby td6624 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:05 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:

I'll also be making a similar decision pretty soon seeing that my top three choices are WashU, Vandy, and ND. How do you guys think ND matches up with WUSTL and Vandy? Especially if your top choice of employment is in the D.C area?

Uhhh if you got into those schools, you should have applied to George Washington, gotten scholarship money, and set yourself up better to work in DC. Someone already said this but I thought I'd be a little clearer. Heh.

If I were in your shoes I'd take Vandy out of those three. Not for any real reason though. I don't know anything.

Edit: And I'd definitely take WUSTL over ND.
Last edited by td6624 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redginseng

Postby redginseng » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:08 pm

A few years ago, the dean and director of career service of Vandy came to Wustl.

Dean Syverud and the director of CSO, Mike Spivey, are awesome.

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:50 pm

td6624 wrote:
jockinjay-z wrote:

I'll also be making a similar decision pretty soon seeing that my top three choices are WashU, Vandy, and ND. How do you guys think ND matches up with WUSTL and Vandy? Especially if your top choice of employment is in the D.C area?

Uhhh if you got into those schools, you should have applied to George Washington, gotten scholarship money, and set yourself up better to work in DC. Someone already said this but I thought I'd be a little clearer. Heh.

If I were in your shoes I'd take Vandy out of those three. Not for any real reason though. I don't know anything.

Edit: And I'd definitely take WUSTL over ND.

I applied to G-Town instead but unfortunately was wait listed. At the time I applied I wasn't dead set on working in D.C but rather was interested in going to the best "national" school that I could get into. So I guess out of WUSTL, Vandy, and ND the consensus still seems to be Vandy in terms of having the best D.C and or national placement?!

notme

Postby notme » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 pm

I'd probably take Vandy over ND and ND over WUSTL. I don't think you can go wrong with either Vandy or ND. I think WUSTL would be a mistake. I was accepted to both, and was offered more money by WUSTL, but after visiting both schools and looking into it, I didn't think WUSTL had nearly as much to offer. I didn't dislike it, it just wasn't in the same realm as ND. I didn't get into Vandy, so don't know much about it, but I did get into Cornell, which seems to me like a similar choice. I probably would have taken Cornell over ND, but only because of rankings. At the last minute I ended up taking UCLA at sticker over Cornell or ND with $$, but, for what it's worth, that was a much more difficult decision for me than ND v WUSTL.

One caveat is that I am from CA, and your location may influence your decision.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:35 pm

If it came down to it, I'd go to the school that would give me the most money.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm

notme wrote:At the last minute I ended up taking UCLA at sticker over Cornell or ND with $$

wat

UCLA sticker over Cornell with $$? Am I the only one who thinks this is...odd?

I agree with everything else in the post, though.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Z3RO wrote:
notme wrote:At the last minute I ended up taking UCLA at sticker over Cornell or ND with $$

wat

Poaster probably meant Cornell with 0 and ND with $$

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:54 pm

In my view UT and UCLA are both schools that TLSers unfairly tier below places like Cornell and Georgetown because of the silly "t14" thing. So, I'd say WUSTL is probably a cut below UT, but I would also say that UT is just as good as a number of schools ranked above it.

I applied to WUSTL for one simple reason: they give out mad scholarship money.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:55 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

wat

Poaster probably meant Cornell with 0 and ND with $$

You're right. Now that I reread it, it makes more sense. I was afraid that I was going to be called a rankings whore for misunderstanding why he'd make that decision.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Reedie wrote:In my view UT and UCLA are both schools that TLSers unfairly tier below places like Cornell and Georgetown because of the silly "t14" thing. So, I'd say WUSTL is probably a cut below UT, but I would also say that UT is just as good as a number of schools ranked above it.

I applied to WUSTL for one simple reason: they give out mad scholarship money.

Which hopefully they'll begin doing soon for this cycle!!

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:48 am

notme wrote:I'd probably take Vandy over ND and ND over WUSTL. I don't think you can go wrong with either Vandy or ND. I think WUSTL would be a mistake. I was accepted to both, and was offered more money by WUSTL, but after visiting both schools and looking into it, I didn't think WUSTL had nearly as much to offer. I didn't dislike it, it just wasn't in the same realm as ND. I didn't get into Vandy, so don't know much about it, but I did get into Cornell, which seems to me like a similar choice. I probably would have taken Cornell over ND, but only because of rankings. At the last minute I ended up taking UCLA at sticker over Cornell or ND with $$, but, for what it's worth, that was a much more difficult decision for me than ND v WUSTL.

ITE WUSTL > ND easily. At least WUSTL owns St Louis. Notre Dame has no home market.

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:49 am

Desert Fox wrote:
notme wrote:I'd probably take Vandy over ND and ND over WUSTL. I don't think you can go wrong with either Vandy or ND. I think WUSTL would be a mistake. I was accepted to both, and was offered more money by WUSTL, but after visiting both schools and looking into it, I didn't think WUSTL had nearly as much to offer. I didn't dislike it, it just wasn't in the same realm as ND. I didn't get into Vandy, so don't know much about it, but I did get into Cornell, which seems to me like a similar choice. I probably would have taken Cornell over ND, but only because of rankings. At the last minute I ended up taking UCLA at sticker over Cornell or ND with $$, but, for what it's worth, that was a much more difficult decision for me than ND v WUSTL.

ITE WUSTL > ND easily. At least WUSTL owns St Louis. Notre Dame has no home market.

What about Chicago?? I always figured that that was ND's home market so to speak despite the direct competition from Northwestern and the U.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:28 am

jockinjay-z wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

What about Chicago?? I always figured that that was ND's home market so to speak despite the direct competition from Northwestern and the U.

ND owns no home market, having to compete with Chicago, NU, Michigan, Illinois, WUSTL, and a bunch of midwest publics such as Iowa, IU, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. At WUSTL, you can still get STL as a fallback if you strike out of Chicago.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:39 am

hoopsguy6 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
jdude wrote:I have heard people just state opinions both ways, but what is the substance behind those reasons? If it is worse, how much worse and once again, why? If they are so bad, why are they ranked in the top 20?

~1/3 of WUSTL grads stay in St Louis. I've heard St Louis employers value them because there aren't many that stay; the majority of the rest go to the east coast and Chicago. Vandy's placement is close to T13 levels. Texas places great in Texas, but Vandy will probably do you better nationally.

You can get a great job from WUSTL, but it'll be easier from Vandy or Texas. If you like the school, there's always the St Louis market to fall back on if things go awry.

What is T13? Blatant anti-GULC trolling.

+100000000

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:35 am

jockinjay-z wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Chicago is probably the worst hit market ITE for some reason. Some Chicago firms only went to Chicago, Northwestern and Michigan for OCI this year.

Notre Dame also gets beat by UIUC in Chicago, but even UIUC did really terrible this year.

Go on teh OCI 2009 results thead in teh employment section. Top 10% and Law Review was risky at Notre Dame.

Notre Dame used to place okay everywhere, and when firms got squeezed that turned into poor everywhere. Not having a home market was a kiss of death this year.

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks for the info Desert Fox. I didn't know that ND had no fall back market so to speak? Isn't the same pretty much true for Vandy though? I know for a fact that their placement is pretty spread over (even though its mostly in the SE) with no huge clusters of grads all vying for one city like UIUC for Chicago or BU for Boston, etc. What do you guys think makes this school not as susceptible to the economy as ND is despite its exclusive alumni network?

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:54 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:Thanks for the info Desert Fox. I didn't know that ND had no fall back market so to speak? Isn't the same pretty much true for Vandy though? I know for a fact that their placement is pretty spread over (even though its mostly in the SE) with no huge clusters of grads all vying for one city like UIUC for Chicago or BU for Boston, etc. What do you guys think makes this school not as susceptible to the economy as ND is despite its exclusive alumni network?

Atlanta. Nashville secondaryish market. Also has a higher employment rate overall.

Still...imho, I think Notre Dame is awesome too. Notre Dame alum seem more likely to care about your alum status in hiring.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jockinjay-z wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Chicago is probably the worst hit market ITE for some reason. Some Chicago firms only went to Chicago, Northwestern and Michigan for OCI this year.

Notre Dame also gets beat by UIUC in Chicago, but even UIUC did really terrible this year.

Go on teh OCI 2009 results thead in teh employment section. Top 10% and Law Review was risky at Notre Dame.

Notre Dame used to place okay everywhere, and when firms got squeezed that turned into poor everywhere. Not having a home market was a kiss of death this year.

Chicago laid off about half as many NLJ250 lawyers, per capita, as NYC.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I don't know about job prospects, but I'd take WUSTL in a heartbeat because the fact that the debate exists means that ND's location pretty much rules it out. South Bend is pretty horrendous. It's different for undergrads who are on campus all the time. I can't imagine going there for graduate/professional school.

Not to rain on the parades of future ND students. South Bend just isn't for me.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:17 pm

rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jockinjay-z wrote:

Chicago laid off about half as many NLJ250 lawyers, per capita, as NYC.

I thought SF was the worst market ITE? But yeah, a lot of Chicago firms only went to Chicago, Michigan, and Northwestern. NYC may have laid off more, but it's still the biggest and the easiest to get into. (And oddly enough there were almost twice as many NYC offices at Michigan's OCI than Chicago offices...but Chicago is a considerably smaller market.)

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:30 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:Thanks for the info Desert Fox. I didn't know that ND had no fall back market so to speak? Isn't the same pretty much true for Vandy though? I know for a fact that their placement is pretty spread over (even though its mostly in the SE) with no huge clusters of grads all vying for one city like UIUC for Chicago or BU for Boston, etc. What do you guys think makes this school not as susceptible to the economy as ND is despite its exclusive alumni network?

Vandy's placement was good this year according to observationalist, maybe better than GTown's because of the smaller class size. Vandy owns Nashville, travels to the ATL, and stretches to DC and NYC because of the name. It's the best option of OP's hypos.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:47 pm

stratocophic wrote:

Vandy's placement was good this year according to observationalist, maybe better than GTown's because of the smaller class size. Vandy owns Nashville, travels to the ATL, and stretches to DC and NYC because of the name. It's the best option of OP's hypos.

Vandy also places well throughout the southeast because the southeast doesn't have the breadth of top schools to trump jobs away from it.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:57 pm

On a side note, does anyone know how WUSTL does in Los Angeles. From what I have heard its not quite national (obviously no T14) so I am guessing not well.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:00 pm

adh07d wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Vandy also places well throughout the southeast because the southeast doesn't have the breadth of top schools to trump jobs away from it.
True. Only real southern T14 is Duke (and maybe Virginia), so Emory's the extent of the local competition.

ENGINEERD wrote:On a side note, does anyone know how WUSTL does in Los Angeles. From what I have heard its not quit national (obviously no T14) so I am guess not well.
They're trying to expand their reach to the west coast, but it won't be your best bet.

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:03 pm

If you're shooting for LA and are a strong candidate for WUSTL, I would apply to USC and UCLA. From talking to WUSTL grads, it seems to me that WUSTL (outside of the midwest) travels much more easily to the east coast than it does to the west.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”