Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jdude
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby jdude » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Is WUSTL really comparable in quality and placement to other schools in the 20-15 range. How does it compare to Vanderbilt, Emory, UT Austin, etc.?

I like what I have read about it and all the stats that I have seen look good, but people seem to hate on it a lot here. Also, I like St. Louis better than Nashville or Atlanta, but I don't want to be stuck there. I just want to be convinced that I am making the right decision. If I go to WUSTL can I really feel like I have done well...like I have went to a school on par with Vandy?

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby miamiman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm confused. Do you want our opinion or do you want us to support your irrational attraction to a strong regional t1?

jdude
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby jdude » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:36 pm

I want your true opinion, I was just trying to explain the predicament. Should I necessarily choose Texas or Vandy over WUSTL just because they are ranked a little higher?

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby LSATfromNC » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:36 pm

WUSTL is just keeping UNCs seat warm :)

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:38 pm

WUSTL is not on par with Vandy or Texas

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby miamiman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:38 pm

jdude wrote:I want your true opinion, I was just trying to explain the predicament. Should I necessarily choose Texas or Vandy over WUSTL just because they are ranked a little higher?


No, you should choose them because your career prospects and earning potential are better.

jdude
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby jdude » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 pm

I have heard people just state opinions both ways, but what is the substance behind those reasons? If it is worse, how much worse and once again, why? If they are so bad, why are they ranked in the top 20?

jdude
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby jdude » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm sorry, they=WUSTL

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby LSATfromNC » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:43 pm

jdude wrote:I have heard people just state opinions both ways, but what is the substance behind those reasons? If it is worse, how much worse and once again, why? If they are so bad, why are they ranked in the top 20?

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby rayiner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:43 pm

jdude wrote:I have heard people just state opinions both ways, but what is the substance behind those reasons? If it is worse, how much worse and once again, why? If they are so bad, why are they ranked in the top 20?


What makes you think different levels of career prospects line up with nice round numbers on the USNWR rankings?

User avatar
bighead715
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:02 am

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby bighead715 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:45 pm

vandy > wustl

FTW

jdude
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby jdude » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:45 pm

That is my point. It is just 4 or 5 spots on a list, how exactly does that translate to career prospects?

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:45 pm

jdude wrote:I have heard people just state opinions both ways, but what is the substance behind those reasons? If it is worse, how much worse and once again, why? If they are so bad, why are they ranked in the top 20?


~1/3 of WUSTL grads stay in St Louis. I've heard St Louis employers value them because there aren't many that stay; the majority of the rest go to the east coast and Chicago. Vandy's placement is close to T13 levels. Texas places great in Texas, but Vandy will probably do you better nationally.

You can get a great job from WUSTL, but it'll be easier from Vandy or Texas. If you like the school, there's always the St Louis market to fall back on if things go awry.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby miamiman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:46 pm

jdude wrote:I have heard people just state opinions both ways, but what is the substance behind those reasons? If it is worse, how much worse and once again, why? If they are so bad, why are they ranked in the top 20?



Wait...does t20 suddenly == $$$???! What about t23 like notre dame? Screwed?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I just polled my office.

Where is Washington University located?

2:Washington state

1:?

1:Isn't it called George Washington

1:Is that like University of Phoenix?



WUSTL is a good school but Vandy is better. Also I hear WUSTL is getting screwed in Chicago placement because of the economy.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:48 pm

wustl is one of the best schools, on the entire Mississippi River.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby jks289 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:49 pm

bighead715 wrote:vandy > wustl

FTW


Vandy is hugely overrated. Once you move away from UCLA/UT you can basically lump 16-20 into a single category. Strong, largely regional, glimmer of national hopes. At that level you should make your decision based on money, quality of life, and georgraphy. Only you can evaluate where you would be happiest. Still I'd pick UT over both Vandy and WUSTL unless real money was involved.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:50 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:wustl is one of the best schools, on the entire Mississippi River.


Anti UMN trolling.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby miamiman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
miamiman wrote:
jdude wrote:I have heard people just state opinions both ways, but what is the substance behind those reasons? If it is worse, how much worse and once again, why? If they are so bad, why are they ranked in the top 20?



Wait...does t20 suddenly == $$$???! What about t23 like notre dame? Screwed?

we're all screwed; hth.



Nah, I got depaul. We're good.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby missvik218 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:00 pm

I feel like this isn't a totally ridiculous question and wouldn't mind reading more actual responses.

I think a big issue with WUSTL is that it doesn't really have a big or primary market it can feed into the way the other 15-20 do; Emory - ATL, BU - Boston, UT - all of TX, USC & UCLA - LA/Southern Cal, Vandy - idk but it seems to do well all throughout the SE. WUSTL has St. Louis but that's not the same, and once they start trying to reach to Chicago which would be the best market in their region they're against stiff competition. 15-20 are all really good regional schools; the problem with WUSTL is that it doesn't have a stronghold on a big market in its region.

insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby insidethetwenty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:05 pm

WUSTL is a good school but Vandy is just a shade better. To answer your question, though, you won't be committing career suicide by going to WUSTL over Vandy, especially if WUSTL is significantly cheaper.

jockinjay-z
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby jockinjay-z » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:11 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:WUSTL is a good school but Vandy is just a shade better. To answer your question, though, you won't be committing career suicide by going to WUSTL over Vandy, especially if WUSTL is significantly cheaper.



I'll also be making a similar decision pretty soon seeing that my top three choices are WashU, Vandy, and ND. How do you guys think ND matches up with WUSTL and Vandy? Especially if your top choice of employment is in the D.C area?

I happened to talk to a 3L JD/MBA guy from WUSTL just recently and he told me that WUSTL is definitely improving its DC placement now that Obama's in office. Supposedly they have pretty good connections now because of the fact and also because of their distinguished Congressional DC clinic!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:13 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:
insidethetwenty wrote:WUSTL is a good school but Vandy is just a shade better. To answer your question, though, you won't be committing career suicide by going to WUSTL over Vandy, especially if WUSTL is significantly cheaper.



I'll also be making a similar decision pretty soon seeing that my top three choices are WashU, Vandy, and ND. How do you guys think ND matches up with WUSTL and Vandy? Especially if your top choice of employment is in the D.C area?

I happened to talk to a 3L JD/MBA guy from WUSTL just recently and he told me that WUSTL is definitely improving its DC placement now that Obama's in office. Supposedly they have pretty good connections now because of the fact and also because of their distinguished Congressional DC clinic!


You'd be going to the wrong school named after Washington.

User avatar
hoopsguy6
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby hoopsguy6 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:16 pm

stratocophic wrote:
jdude wrote:I have heard people just state opinions both ways, but what is the substance behind those reasons? If it is worse, how much worse and once again, why? If they are so bad, why are they ranked in the top 20?


~1/3 of WUSTL grads stay in St Louis. I've heard St Louis employers value them because there aren't many that stay; the majority of the rest go to the east coast and Chicago. Vandy's placement is close to T13 levels. Texas places great in Texas, but Vandy will probably do you better nationally.

You can get a great job from WUSTL, but it'll be easier from Vandy or Texas. If you like the school, there's always the St Louis market to fall back on if things go awry.


What is T13? Blatant anti-GULC trolling.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Is WUSTL really a top 20? WUSTL vs Vandy?

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
jdude wrote:I have heard people just state opinions both ways, but what is the substance behind those reasons? If it is worse, how much worse and once again, why? If they are so bad, why are they ranked in the top 20?


~1/3 of WUSTL grads stay in St Louis. I've heard St Louis employers value them because there aren't many that stay; the majority of the rest go to the east coast and Chicago. Vandy's placement is close to T13 levels. Texas places great in Texas, but Vandy will probably do you better nationally.

You can get a great job from WUSTL, but it'll be easier from Vandy or Texas. If you like the school, there's always the St Louis market to fall back on if things go awry.


What is T13? Blatant anti-GULC trolling.


It's T13

hth




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests