UIUC vs. Indiana-Bloomington Full Scholly Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yelgnits

New

UIUC vs. Indiana-Bloomington Full Scholly

Post by yelgnits » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:02 pm

To me, these options are both very attractive. I don't plan on doing big-law (Chicago or elsewhere), and these schools are both ranked the same in the USNews system (tied at 23rd). Anyone have any thoughts, specifically on quality of life, living costs, subjective impressions of the schools, and employment prospects outside of big-law?

Panther7

Bronze

Re: UIUC vs. Indiana-Bloomington Full Scholly

Post by Panther7 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Indiana is overranked, I'd take UIUC in a heartbeat.

Plus, have you driven through Indiana recently?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:33 pm

Do you have a full scholarship at Illinois? If so, I would go there. If not, it's Indiana.

I chose an Indiana full ride over Illinois 10k/year this cycle.
Panther7 wrote:Indiana is overranked, I'd take UIUC in a heartbeat.
This is a poor argument. I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that Illinois and Indiana should be ranked exactly the same, but it doesn't mean that a full ride at Indiana isn't a better deal than Illinois at sticker.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Do you have a full scholarship at Illinois? If so, I would go there. If not, it's Indiana.

This is a poor argument. I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that Illinois and Indiana should be ranked exactly the same, but it doesn't mean that a full ride at Indiana isn't a better deal than Illinois at sticker.
I assumed the $$$ sign next to UIUC in his profile combined with the the thread title signified he had a full ride to both. All things even, I have a hard time rationalizing Indiana over Illinois. I'm not bashing Indiana, it's ok Halibut! I may end up at Indiana with the way my cycle is going myself.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Do you have a full scholarship at Illinois? If so, I would go there. If not, it's Indiana.

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Panther7 wrote:

I assumed the $$$ sign next to UIUC in his profile combined with the the thread title signified he had a full ride to both. All things even, I have a hard time rationalizing Indiana over Illinois. I'm not bashing Indiana, it's ok Halibut! I may end up at Indiana with the way my cycle is going myself.
I hadn't looked at OP's profile. With a 168, OP likely does have good money at Illinois. Like I said, all things equal I would choose Illinois too, but just because it is generally considered a better school, not because Indiana is overranked.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:22 pm

If you have $30K/yr or more at Illinois, go there. If not, IU is the better choice I would say.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:22 pm

-1. Have you driven through Central Illinois lately? Plus, Bloomington is a great college town.

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Never visited Illinois but Bloomington is cool. If $ were = I would take Illinois for a better shot at Chi. If IU offered a lot more $ (like 45k) I would go there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:18 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:

-1. Have you driven through Central Illinois lately? Plus, Bloomington is a great college town.

lol so true. I think on a clear day you can see from Iowa to Indiana.

phillbert0087

New

Post by phillbert0087 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:22 pm

I would take the full scholly and go to Bloomington. They are both ranked very similar and have presence in the region

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Like others said, if all things even, U of I is the way to go.

Not only do they have a better basketball team, they have Unofficial St Patrick's Day. The only thing you could bring up to rationalize attending IU is the Little 500. These are very key things to consider when picking a law school

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 pm

nsideirish wrote:Like others said, if all things even, U of I is the way to go.

Not only do they have a better basketball team, they have Unofficial St Patrick's Day. The only thing you could bring up to rationalize attending IU is the Little 500. These are very key things to consider when picking a law school
Dude, the Little 500 sounds ridiculously lame. Is there at least a lot of drinking there?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 pm

Halibut6 wrote:

Dude, the Little 500 sounds ridiculously lame. Is there at least a lot of drinking there?

Little 500 is a week-long, campus-wide booze fest with some of the best looking women I have seen. Lance Armstrong said, "I've attended Super Bowls, World Series and the Monaco Grand Prix, but the coolest event I ever attended was the Little 500."

And I am in not affiliated with IU..I just visited a friend down there when it was going on last year..and WOW is about all I can say.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:26 pm

nsideirish wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:

Little 500 is a week-long, campus-wide booze fest with some of the best looking women I have seen. Lance Armstrong said, "I've attended Super Bowls, World Series and the Monaco Grand Prix, but the coolest event I ever attended was the Little 500."

And I am in not affiliated with IU..I just visited a friend down there when it was going on last year..and WOW is about all I can say.

They could call it Misses Margaret Ellen Fluffelberry's Tea Party and it would still kick ass because of the lethal combination of hot girls + alcohol + a plausible excuse to immerse yourself in both. Trust me, its a lot of fun.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 pm

Plus, have you driven through Indiana recently?[/quote]
[/quote]

You obviously haven't driven through central Illinois.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm

scionb4 wrote:

Plus, have you driven through Indiana recently?[/quote]
You obviously haven't driven through central Illinois.[/quote]
I have, many times. I can vouch for the "nothing in central Illinois" statements.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:05 am

Halibut6 wrote:

You have no fucking idea. When Lance Armstrong calls the Little 500 the "coolest event I have ever gone to," you know it must be the shit. Anyone who's banged Kate Hudson, Sheryl Crowe, Tory Burch, etc., knows what is and what is not a good time. It is an absolute shitshow drinking-wise.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:08 am

ndirish2010 wrote:

Central Illinois = Indiana

But Champaign is a great college town too. IMO its a tie in terms of location. I've never see IUB's campus. Illinois's is pretty good.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:12 am

In term of which has the better job prospects UIUC beats IUB, unless you want to work in Indiana.

But we'd need to know your jobs plans.

I'd take UIUC over IUB.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:18 am

Desert Fox wrote:In term of which has the better job prospects UIUC beats IUB, unless you want to work in Indiana.

But we'd need to know your jobs plans.

I'd take UIUC over IUB.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:44 am

All things equal, UIUC > IUB, easily.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

But Champaign is a great college town too. IMO its a tie in terms of location. I've never see IUB's campus. Illinois's is pretty good.
And what do you base this on? You've never been to Bloomington, yet you equate the two. You're like a small child who wanders into the middle of a movie. You're out of your element. So why comment?

Illinois beats Indiana for Chicago, otherwise its a dead heat.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 am

danquayle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

And what do you base this on? You've never been to Bloomington, yet you equate the two. You're like a small child who wanders into the middle of a movie. You're out of your element. So why comment?

Illinois beats Indiana for Chicago, otherwise its a dead heat.
I've driven through Indiana millions of times. Its the same as non-Chicagoland Illinois, corn soybeans and smaller cities. Indianapolis is a shithole.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:07 am

In regards to the UIUC campus v the IUB campus, it is pretty close. I am an undergrad at UIUC and I have visited IUB, and I have to say although they are a little different they both have their charm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”