Miami or....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Miami or Stetson

Miami
53%
Stetson
47%

Total votes: 19

awl05d

Miami or....

Postby awl05d » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:32 pm

My numbers arent great or anything so sorry if this is trivial to some of you

Miami or Stetson.... no $ at either... I live at home right now about 10 min. from Stetson's campus, so that'd save some $$ (and stetson is already a couple thousand cheaper).... from what i've read Miami just isn't worth the $$ and considering i'd be graduating with debt either way and am perfectly fine in either area... (South FL v Tampa)... which should I choose.... allegedly in a good market Miami has better job prospects, but is it even worth it at all??.... im leaning towards stetson but just want to make sure im not crazy here

thank for any advice

darknightbegins

Re: Miami or....

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:41 pm

How much is tuition at both places for three years? If that combined with living at home could save you alot of money then I probably would go to Stetson. Miami isn't worth sticker but in my opinion most schools aren't worth much more than 30,000 a year unless its a T14 or mmmmaayyyybe a T30 unless you are just in love with the state/area you will be in.

awl05d

Postby awl05d » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Stetson is right at 30k/ year.... Miami at about 38k/year... factor in what I will save on housing (if i stay at home) its a substantial amount per year.... the only catch is I've lived it st. pete for 23 yrs (minus my 4 yrs at FSU).... a change of scenery is nice sometimes... but to me there is nothing like living within 20-40 minutes of the best beaches, baseball, football and hockey (all of which both schools have)

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 pm

go to Miami and let me stay at your parents place for free while I'm at Stetson

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Is there an "other" option? Seriously, Miami at sticker is insane (we're talking 60K per year with COL. Miami is not even close to a school you take out 180K for. With that said Stetson is not a school you pay sticker for either. While I agree that living at home may save you some money, coming out of a t3 school with extremely limited job prospects and 100K+ in debt is not too smart either.

Option1: Retake the LSAT

if thats out...

Option 2: Apply to schools in other states that may be ranked lower but will give you some $. (I'd need to know your numbers to give options)

If thats out cause you wanna stay in FL...

Option 3: Apply to either FLorida Coastal or FIU or something like that. They are ranked lower and may give you some scholarship money. In the end don't listen to that stupid hype about Stetson's trial advocacy rating, a JD from FIU will be just as good in that state, but for much less.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Firstly, yes, retake if possible. If not, I kind of agree with the FIU thing. Isn't their tuition like 10K/year? But, do not go to FL Coastal.

If you got into Stetson & Miami, they might even throw you some $$. I'm sure FIU isn't as respected as either UM or Stetson, but it might be worth looking into if you are set on staying in-state.

awl05d

Postby awl05d » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:46 pm

ya trust me i know options arent great... i thought about stetson for 1 yr. then transfer to FSU or UF or anywhere (ya i know that may not be best thought ..going to school hoping to transfer... but both r insanely cheaper w/ instate).... retake isnt a great option and its not like i didnt try i took the test twice 155/156.... 3.67 lsac gpa...and on the 2nd go around i spent about 3 months 5x a week studying and was scoring in the 162-167 range on prac tests..... i had a 4.3 in high school and took 3 times til i got over a 1200 on the sat... im not sure if its me and standardized testing dont go hand in hand or what..... either way i'll figure something out

Return to “Choosing a Law School”