U of Kentucky vs U of Houston vs SMU, what would YOU do?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UAKAVA

U of Kentucky vs U of Houston vs SMU, what would YOU do?

Postby UAKAVA » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Hey all,

I'm currently having trouble deciding between three tier 2's (SMU is ranked 49=tier 2 for all intents) that all offered me scholarship money in various amounts. Kentucky offered me essentially in-state tuition (Provosts something something tuition award) for all 3 years contingent on a 2.9 GPA, Houston offered me 6k a year over 3 contingent on a 2.9 and SMU offered me essentially a book stipend haha. SMU is PRICEY at 36k compared to the other two (Kentucky being 15k and Houston being 20k with monies) but I really love Dallas. Only thing with Kentucky is I'm not sure about living permanently in the bluegrass state, its pretty and all and it's close to my home state of VA but Louisville is not the biggest city... Houston is HUGE and cool but not sure about U of H's prestige in TX (probably good enough but not sure how it compares to SMU). Anyway, what would you pick? Just trying to get a bearing on what people think and all, so help me out with some replies.

swimbrad

Re: U of Kentucky vs U of Houston vs SMU, what would YOU do?

Postby swimbrad » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Not sure the ease to transfer to there, but Lexington is only about an hour from Cincinnati - which is a much larger market than Louisville. This might be something to consider (esp. considering the low cost of attendance)

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 pm

I mean if you really see yourself living in Dallas for the long run, then I'd say SMU.

If not, then I'd definitely take a look st Houston for Texas, and Kentucky if you're looking to go out of state.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 pm

UAKAVA wrote:Hey all,

I'm currently having trouble deciding between three tier 2's (SMU is ranked 49=tier 2 for all intents) that all offered me scholarship money in various amounts. Kentucky offered me essentially in-state tuition (Provosts something something tuition award) for all 3 years contingent on a 2.9 GPA, Houston offered me 6k a year over 3 contingent on a 2.9 and SMU offered me essentially a book stipend haha. SMU is PRICEY at 36k compared to the other two (Kentucky being 15k and Houston being 20k with monies) but I really love Dallas. Only thing with Kentucky is I'm not sure about living permanently in the bluegrass state, its pretty and all and it's close to my home state of VA but Louisville is not the biggest city... Houston is HUGE and cool but not sure about U of H's prestige in TX (probably good enough but not sure how it compares to SMU). Anyway, what would you pick? Just trying to get a bearing on what people think and all, so help me out with some replies.

SMU has already offered you a scholarship?

jremington

Postby jremington » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm in a similar situation debating between U Kentucky (with same out of state waiver) and U Denver (with $17k). At the moment I'm leaning towards UK as it is cheaper and is the best school in its state. However, I am from Cali so I'm not sure how big a culture shock living in Kentucky would be. I definitely will visit though before making up my mind. Best of luck on the decision.

UAKAVA

Postby UAKAVA » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Chrisokc, it wasn't a scholarship directly through SMU. It's offered through a small company in Dallas contingent on going to SMU. Very little $$ though, I wish SMU offered me something through them as their minimum amount is pretty high I hear. Jremington, I hear you on the culture shock. Even though I lived in the far western part of NOVA for a good chunk of my life, I've never been to KY and am not sure about how that would go. On the upside, Lexington IS the home of the Kentucky derby so thats one week of insane partying and big money. As well, the states major horse racing/ breeding/ raising industry brings lots of people from other parts of the country in (including INSANELY cute girls who just love to ride :wink: ).

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Pick between SMU and U of Houston.

I.e. pick between Dallas and Houston.

Have fun living in Texas and the career options those two schools offer you above U of Kentucky.

Note that SMU has a little more big law placement (about than 10% less than U of Texas), is more prestigious, and probably has better career options (but all of that comes at a significant cost).

jremington

Postby jremington » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Yeah, I'm not too worried about Lexington. I mean the Jim Beam factory is close by so things can't be too bad. I have heard the drinks are cheap and the bars stay open until 4 so that seems like a bargain. Lexington and Louisville look chill and my research says that the area between Lex and Cincy is decent, but I'm definitely not sold on the rest of the state.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Pick between SMU and U of Houston.

I.e. pick between Dallas and Houston.

Have fun living in Texas and the career options those two schools offer you above U of Kentucky.

Note that SMU has a little more big law placement (about than 10% less than U of Texas), is more prestigious, and probably has better career options (but all of that comes at a significant cost).

If you don't want to live in Kentucky then screw that school. SMU has a bit more prestige than Houston and is arguebly the second most well thought of school in the state after UT, don't want to piss off Baylor people but I think SMU has the edge. That being said, SMU is pricey as hell. Its in a great part of Dallas and places pretty well throughout the state.

So if I were you...I'd probably bite the bullit and go to SMU. With a 2.9 GPA stipulation there is no sure thing you would get that discount after the first year. How much is tuition without the scholly at Houston? If it isn't alot less than SMU then I would go to SMU, take the debt and the likely significant better career prospects in Texas.

Only exception would be if you wanted to work in government or prosecute. Houston is likely good enough with that and you have a much better shot at keeping debt low.

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:37 pm

UAKAVA wrote:Chrisokc, it wasn't a scholarship directly through SMU. It's offered through a small company in Dallas contingent on going to SMU. Very little $$ though, I wish SMU offered me something through them as their minimum amount is pretty high I hear. Jremington, I hear you on the culture shock. Even though I lived in the far western part of NOVA for a good chunk of my life, I've never been to KY and am not sure about how that would go. On the upside, Lexington IS the home of the Kentucky derby so thats one week of insane partying and big money. As well, the states major horse racing/ breeding/ raising industry brings lots of people from other parts of the country in (including INSANELY cute girls who just love to ride :wink: ).

This is NOT TCR, it's at the Curchill Downs in Louisville...

but the girls are amazing and the bourbon flows like wine - as long as you're w/in city limits of Lexington to Louisville you wouldn't know you are in KY except for the people are super nice

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm

SMU and UH fill pretty much the same role in their respective cities. Unless SMU comes back with a decent scholarship offer or you love Dallas to the point of "ZOMG, I can't imagine living anywhere else" I think paying 36k for SMU vs. 20k for UH would be crazy.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UAKAVA

Postby UAKAVA » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Houston rings in at about 26-27k a year pre-scholy. As well, in terms of big law I really don't care. I interned at an office of a large national law firm and saw the way they treated their non-ivys (essentially the top local state school kids) and it was really off putting. The money is great sure and if I got an offer hell I wouldn't turn it down but honestly where I come from if I can break 60k a year for my first job then I'm happy (even with debt, which there shouldn't be TOO much of since I have saved a lot of cash to pay for school with). I dunno, good food for thought though. Thanks for the replies guys, its helped out a lot since I really don't know much about TX law or Houston especially.

UAKAVA

Postby UAKAVA » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 pm

* I really don't care, or at least it wouldn't kill me to go small or mid law

UAKAVA

Postby UAKAVA » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:44 pm

And yeah, I was wrong the Kentucky Derby is in Louisville at the CD. Shows how much I know about horse racing haha. -1 to Lexington...

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm

That being the case just decide if you want to live in Houston or Dallas. My family is from Texas and many of them went to school in Texas, trust me, SMU is more highly thought of than Houston. Is it 10-16 grand a year better than Houston? That is the big question. Any preference on Dallas v Houston? If you don't care about those two then fuck I don't know. I'd probably still go to SMU just because Texas is a big state and that is really only behind UT any where you go in the state.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Your 166 may get you a nice scholarship from SMU.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:56 pm

darknightbegins wrote:That being the case just decide if you want to live in Houston or Dallas. My family is from Texas and many of them went to school in Texas, trust me, SMU is more highly thought of than Houston. Is it 10-16 grand a year better than Houston? That is the big question. Any preference on Dallas v Houston? If you don't care about those two then fuck I don't know. I'd probably still go to SMU just because Texas is a big state and that is really only behind UT any where you go in the state.

Are these members of your family practicing attorneys that hire from either one of these schools? Big Dallas and Houston firms hire the largest number of their associates from UT and go to SMU and UH in each respective city after that. From what I have been told the GPA/class rank requirements Dallas firms have for hiring SMU folks pre-ITE were pretty comparable to what Houston firms have for UH grads. Neither school places that well in the other schools city.

Now SMU may place better for a PD job in some small town like Waxahachie or Alpine. I don't really have any idea about that.

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:01 pm

You might get some scholarship money from SMU, so that should help with the decision.

It sounds like you like the idea of Dallas, so go visit and see if you like it. With a scholarship, SMU will probably be less than 25k more over three years than the others.

Basically, UH is to Houston as SMU is to Dallas. If you want Dallas, go to SMU and if you want Houston, go to UH.

As for UK, Cincy/L'ville would be two nice places to live, but you probably wouldn't be able to make as much money, if that's what you want, than you would in Dallas or Houston.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:That being the case just decide if you want to live in Houston or Dallas. My family is from Texas and many of them went to school in Texas, trust me, SMU is more highly thought of than Houston. Is it 10-16 grand a year better than Houston? That is the big question. Any preference on Dallas v Houston? If you don't care about those two then fuck I don't know. I'd probably still go to SMU just because Texas is a big state and that is really only behind UT any where you go in the state.

Are these members of your family practicing attorneys that hire from either one of these schools? Big Dallas and Houston firms hire the largest number of their associates from UT and go to SMU and UH in each respective city after that. From what I have been told the GPA/class rank requirements Dallas firms have for hiring SMU folks pre-ITE were pretty comparable to what Houston firms have for UH grads. Neither school places that well in the other schools city.

Now SMU may place better for a PD job in some small town like Waxahachie or Alpine. I don't really have any idea about that.

One was very close friends with former Gov. Ann Richardson, former President of the National Speech and Hearing Association, and very much involved with Texas politics until she died in 2001. According to her SMU had better rep than Houston.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:21 pm

darknightbegins wrote:One was very close friends with former Gov. Ann Richardson, former President of the National Speech and Hearing Association, and very much involved with Texas politics until she died in 2001. According to her SMU had better rep than Houston.

That's wild. Ann Richards is one of the biggest villains amongst the UH community. The story goes that UH was set to be the 4th team to join the Big 12 with UT, ATM, and Tech. But Richards (a Baylor grad) threatened to cut off access to the permanent school fund for UT and ATM if they didn't bring Baylor instead. She allegedly also said UT couldn't join the Pac 10 (which they explored) unless they took Baylor with them.

In all seriousness, SMU does have more prestige and all things equal, I'd probaly go to LS there over UH. But, pre-ITE I believe career prospects were pretty similar coming from either school. UH is a much better deal at sticker.

One more thing for OP to consider, I read yesterday that UH voted to increase tuition, you may want to look into how that affects your estimated COA.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:26 pm

If that story about Richards is true...man what a cunt

Return to “Choosing a Law School”